Grand Case Restaurants

Karysa

Also are there some French restaurants that arent too fancy but good food if we just wanted to go to the beach in that area and then have a bite to eat--especially during the day-i know a lot dont open until dinner and we would be sailing by then

My friend kal has been there more recently than I, so may have more accurate information. Hopefully he'll chime in here, but my understanding is that though you may find isolated instances of 1:1, you're more likely to find 1.3:1.

Travelers checks should be the same as cash, but I wouldn't carry anything larger than $50s, especially early in the day, as they might not have much change in the till.

For places to eat, consider the several lolo's (perhaps some of the isolated 1:1 instances?) for inexpensive good local outdoor dining, or Calmos Cafe for a bit nicer but still reasonably priced experience. Check both out; they're 150 yards or so apart.

th_P9150055.jpg th_DSCN4464.jpg

(click)

gary

My friend kal has been there more recently than I, so may have more accurate information. Hopefully he'll chime in here, but my understanding is that though you may find isolated instances of 1:1, you're more likely to find 1.3:1.

Travelers checks should be the same as cash, but I wouldn't carry anything larger than $50s, especially early in the day, as they might not have much change in the till.

For places to eat, consider the several lolo's (perhaps some of the isolated 1:1 instances?) for inexpensive good local outdoor dining, or Calmos Cafe for a bit nicer but still reasonably priced experience. Check both out; they're 150 yards or so apart.

th_P9150055.jpg th_DSCN4464.jpg

(click)

gary

I was surprised to read on other travel sites with postings from as late as June of this year that mentioned that several restaurants in Grand Case were offering 1:1 deals. Last summer there was only the odd one that was continuing to do this. Since they do not have this deal if you pay by credit card we were planning to bring cash. Since we will be staying in the area and plan on dining out on several evenings I would feel more comfortable traveling with traveler's checks rather than that amount of cash. My thinking is that they are suppose to be treated like cash so the restaurant will most likely take them as they would cash. I suppose I could cash them in a bank once we are on the island.

Thanks for the help and I will post and let you know if it is only a select few doing the 1:1 or if it is now 1.3:1 at most of the restaurants. We were planning to visit the Lolo's this trip as we have never tried a meal there before.

Karysa

You should have no problem using TCs in the restaurants--I have never encountered an issue, not even a request for ID:)

When we were there last October, I know that Spiga, Spicy and California were offering 1-1, and I think that was still true recently. But, don't get too hung up about it, as I'm not certain that Spiga or Spicey is any cheaper than, for example, L' Estiminet which offers only a slight advanatge for $.

You should have no problem using TCs in the restaurants--I have never encountered an issue, not even a request for ID:)

When we were there last October, I know that Spiga, Spicy and California were offering 1-1, and I think that was still true recently. But, don't get too hung up about it, as I'm not certain that Spiga or Spicey is any cheaper than, for example, L' Estiminet which offers only a slight advanatge for $.

Thanks, we will definitely consider that point when choosing where to eat. Did you use travelers checks when dining at any 1:1 restaurants in Grand Case and did they honor them as they would cash?

Karysa

In May, many of the GC restaurants were providing $1 USD = 1 euro but make sure you verify this before you order. Check to verify the service fee of 15%+ will or will not be added on to the bill. That makes a big difference in the total tip paid. Most French people leave a couple of dollars if they receive very good service. BY law, the service fee is buried in the menu prices and the wait staff receive wages AND a benefits package. Very much different from the US system.

Traveller checks are fine, but make sure you will not receive change in euros. For 95% of the credit cards you will get nailed for the full euro/dollar conversion PLUS a 3% international transaction fee.

Thanks for the information Kal. I never thought that they might give me Euros for change from US dollars or travelers checks. Do you know if you can ask to have the change in US dollars at most places in St. Martin?

Karysa

Almost all merchants will give you USD change for a USD TC. But just to make sure ask early in the purchase process.

Sounds like we should save the credit card for the Dutch side and use TC's or cash on the French side. Other than the Lolas or beach bars do you know if most places accept TC's as long as they are smaller denominations?

Karysa

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from our trip to Grand Case and I have to give it to you guys you were pretty much right on with your answers to my questions. There were a few 1:1 restaurants besides the Lolas but many seemed to be 1:1.2 right now. We had great to exceptional dining experiences and took the advice of one of the posters and didn't worry about the 1:1 thing. Traveler's checks were taken at the 1:1 restaurants as if they were cash. We were glad that we took more cash and traveler's checks this trip because it did save us some money at times.

Thanks for the great advice.

Karysa

I'm looking for a place in Grand Case to enjoy nice lunch on a Friday afternoon in August. Many places are open only for dinner. Has anyone had experience at lunch at any of the following?: Restaurant du Soleil, California, Le Tastevin, or La Marine? And does anyone know of a website or email for Restaurant du Soleil.

Thanks, Sarah

I'm looking for a place in Grand Case to enjoy nice lunch on a Friday afternoon in August. Many places are open only for dinner. Has anyone had experience at lunch at any of the following?: Restaurant du Soleil, California, Le Tastevin, or La Marine? And does anyone know of a website or email for Restaurant du Soleil.

Thanks, Sarah

I met someone last week that had lunch at La Marine and said that it was very good. The view from that restaurant is gorgeous. We had dinner at le soleil ? spelling and it was also very good. The 3 owners are from the part of France that is near Germany and the portions are huge in comparison to the other restaurants that we ate at. The tarts are about the size of a medium pizza. There is also veal cordon bleu and saurkraut on the menu which gives you the indication that the which made sense when they told us which part of France they were from.

Karysa

Archived