Pay Per Soft Drink vs Beverage Package

This will be our first RCI cruise so this may be a silly question but here it goes - do you even have to pay for soda when you are eating in the dining rooms? We've only been on DCL where the fountain drinks are included. TIA!

Not a silly question because soda is NOT free in the dining room. It was in the old days. Sigh.

Where did you ever find Root beer on a RC cruise? I have brought one or two cans from a port, just for the treat. But, I have never seen any available on a ship.

Rockets

Does anyone know if they have Dr. Pepper on the Mariner? Thanks.

Sorry, only Coke products.

Last I knew, Dr. Pepper is a "Coke product."

I don't remember if they had Dr. Pepper as I drink Diet Coke.

Basically it's Coke, Diet Coke and Sprite...the main 3 sodas you can choose from...I was bummed when I went to JR and they hade Mr. Pibb...I was like I have a soda card and I'll have one of those please...they were like yeah right pay up sucka.

The soda card is worth it for me because I love those souviner cups "we have a collection going" for some reason the soda just taste better in those cups.

Anyway if you drink a lot of soda then its worth it.

I have been confused about Dr. Pepper too. Where I live it is always placed with the Coke products and is always included in the Coke sale promotions. Maybe this link show why we will likely all have differing opinions on this!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070707093913AASGvET

So the answer, IF the above link is correct, is both Coke and Pepsi are distributors of it depending on where you live... weird!!

I like Diet Dr Pepper but lately I am a big fan of Fresca, so far I can't find it at any of the Ports. Any other Fresca fans out there? Have you seen it at any of the Ports? I couldn't even find cans or small bottles at the stores near the Ports in Florida. I fly in so it is not practical for me to bring some from home.

Things I noticed on RCI that differs from Princess and Cunard (at least the ships we took on both lines) are that (1) the glasses they give you are much bigger and (2) the bartenders don't seem miffed that you have a soda card (and that they have to serve you instead of someone else).

Another poster a few weeks ago was indicating that the glasses they serve soda in were actually quite small. Smaller than a can (12 oz). Is your experience different?

Also, fwiw, I had no problem ever getting soda on Princess (bartenders weren't miffed). And the glasses they served it in were quite large.

Another poster a few weeks ago was indicating that the glasses they serve soda in were actually quite small. Smaller than a can (12 oz). Is your experience different?

Also, fwiw, I had no problem ever getting soda on Princess (bartenders weren't miffed). And the glasses they served it in were quite large.

They serve it in the glasses they have in the bar which are frequently smaller than 12 ounces. I have received my diet coke in what I call a typical bar glass that is around 6 ounces, and I have also gotten larger glass tumblers that are similar to the glass you would get in a typical restaurant. But, on the other hand, they will refill it as much as you want and they will fill another container if you have it. When you buy the package you get an insulated/covered cup that is 20 ounces. I have used that on occasion, but not often because I don't care to lug it around.

I have never noticed the fountain drinks to be flat. And I have never noticed a bar tender give me or anyone else a hard time about filling an order for a fountain drink. By the way, you DO may a 15% gratuity on the package. I am guessing that is split among the folks who man the fountains.

I always buy the package. For me it's well worth it. If you drink less than the equivalent of 3 cans a day it probably isn't. I get my money's worth

They serve it in the glasses they have in the bar which are frequently smaller than 12 ounces. I have received my diet coke in what I call a typical bar glass that is around 6 ounces, and I have also gotten larger glass tumblers that are similar to the glass you would get in a typical restaurant. But, on the other hand, they will refill it as much as you want and they will fill another container if you have it. When you buy the package you get an insulated/covered cup that is 20 ounces. I have used that on occasion, but not often because I don't care to lug it around.

In terms of glass size, is this accurate at pool bars too? Or is this more in terms of indoors bars/MDR?

In terms of glass size, is this accurate at pool bars too? Or is this more in terms of indoors bars/MDR?

The smaller glasses were the indoor bars and lounges. I occasionally stopped at one of the the pool bars on my way back to the cabin from the fitness ceter. That is one of the places I got a larger glass. Still not sure it was as big as a 12 ounce can, but it was bigger.

I have been confused about Dr. Pepper too. Where I live it is always placed with the Coke products and is always included in the Coke sale promotions. Maybe this link show why we will likely all have differing opinions on this!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070707093913AASGvET

So the answer, IF the above link is correct, is both Coke and Pepsi are distributors of it depending on where you live... weird!!

I like Diet Dr Pepper but lately I am a big fan of Fresca, so far I can't find it at any of the Ports. Any other Fresca fans out there? Have you seen it at any of the Ports? I couldn't even find cans or small bottles at the stores near the Ports in Florida. I fly in so it is not practical for me to bring some from home.

Dr. Pepper is owned by the SevenUp corporation. Via licensing agreements, it is DISTRIBUTED with both Pepsi and Coke products. Neither of those companies OWN Dr. Pepper.

The fountain drinks on RC ships are Coke, Diet Coke and Sprite. You can also get the unflavored soda water that somes out of "the gun".

SOME bartenders will give you ginger ale.

Last I knew, Dr. Pepper is a "Coke product."

I don't remember if they had Dr. Pepper as I drink Diet Coke.

My apologies here. In our portion of the country, Dr. Pepper is owned by the same company that owns Pepsi. I knew that Dr. Pepper was actually a company of its own but forgot that until reading other posts.

Sorry for my mistake.

Tim

Here is my 2 cents worth. We've just recently started buying the soda package for the convenience. I doubt we drink the required amount to break even, but there are many convenience factors (one being the non-stop refills at dinner) that make it worth while to us. We have experienced the flat fountain drinks and the miffed bartenders (although the bartenders were on Celebrity), but overall it works for us. The one problem I do have is what to do with the souvenier mugs once the cruise is over. They are nice for the ship, but at home I have no use for them...especially for more than one.

The one problem I do have is what to do with the souvenier mugs once the cruise is over. They are nice for the ship, but at home I have no use for them...especially for more than one.

EBay??

Jane

Archived