Pay Per Soft Drink vs Beverage Package

I will be cruising on the Freedom of the Seas in August and I am trying to determine if it is worth my while to get the fountain soda package or just pay per serving. The package is $42 ($6 per day) + gratuity. What do they charge per serving for soda?

Thanks

I buy cans and it's usually around $1.50 (if I remember correctly). I tend to drink less soda while cruising. I replace soda with water and juice where it's offered for free and I go for the cocktails in the evening. For me, the soda package isn't worth the cost.

I will be cruising on the Freedom of the Seas in August and I am trying to determine if it is worth my while to get the fountain soda package or just pay per serving. The package is $42 ($6 per day) + gratuity. What do they charge per serving for soda?

Thanks

To help you with the facts to decide:

Last week on Serenade OTA, cans of soda were $2.24 each, after the 15% auto-tip was added. The soda package does not include cans, only fountain drinks.

Jane

It's sold to you as a fountain drink package, but in reality it includes Coke, Diet Coke and Sprite only. If you want an orange soda or a root beer, you're on your own.

Scammy, but that's the way it is.

I don't see myself drinking more than 4 a day so I will pay per serving which will probably lead me to drinking more water which is better for me and my ever expanding and rarely contracting waistline :)

Thanks

My partner and I always get the soda package and we usually drink tonic. It has always been included and we've never had any problem. Our last cruise was in January 09.

I buy cans and it's usually around $1.50 (if I remember correctly). I tend to drink less soda while cruising. I replace soda with water and juice where it's offered for free and I go for the cocktails in the evening. For me, the soda package isn't worth the cost.

Me too. I drink a lot more iced tea and lemonade when we cruise. If I really want a soda, I will pay the $1.50 for a can of it. I think on my last 7-night cruise I drank two Diet Cokes.

Me too. I drink a lot more iced tea and lemonade when we cruise. If I really want a soda, I will pay the $1.50 for a can of it. I think on my last 7-night cruise I drank two Diet Cokes.

It's $2.24 -- I also just had 2 on my June 20th cruise.

J

Same here. On our first cruise we bought the soda package for everyone in the family. My husband and I ended up drinking more iced tea and lemonade, so now when we cruise we skip it for ourselves, but still order it for our teens. I think on our last cruise I ordered 2 or 3 cokes for the entire 7 day.

People often buy, one soda package and use it to get drinks for others in their party. So on that basis the package is best, however it is not for cans only fountain drinks which are limited, if you are a big Coke fan. and can tolerate the fountain stuff then go for the package. Enjoy your cruise.

It's $2.24 per can so it requires 3 cans a day to break even. I always buy one sticker and have been to known to steal a diet coke here and there, nothing abusive.

Edited to reflect what it really is.;)

$2.24 a day for cans, $6.90/day for the adult card.

So you'd need to drink at least 3 a day.

However, some of us are very picky and find canned soda to taste much better than fountain soda if the fountain wasn't mixed properly, or if the gun is getting a little dirty.

However part 2, I've seen VERY out-of-date (expired) cans of Diet Coke on RCI. I never ended up ordering one in a bar or anything, but in my cabin the sodas were at least 6 months expired.

Which then would taste grosser than from the gun.

:)

Do what I did. Stick with beer! :)

It's sold to you as a fountain drink package, but in reality it includes Coke, Diet Coke and Sprite only. If you want an orange soda or a root beer, you're on your own.

Scammy, but that's the way it is.

Where did you ever find Root beer on a RC cruise? I have brought one or two cans from a port, just for the treat. But, I have never seen any available on a ship.

Since I drink slightly more than two liters of Diet Coke a day, and I LOVE fountain drinks, I think this is a no-brainer for me. If only they'd let me run around with one of those IV bags and a stand, with the tube in my mouth, I'd be SO happy.

I have a question, though... For our Disney Cruise, I purchased a 64-ounce cool cup; drinks there are self-serve, and I always waited until people were out of the way before filling up my beverage. This kept me from having to run over and use 30 tiny paper cups per day. Will they let you do that on RCI, or do you have to use either the souvenir cup or whatever they hand you?

One benefit of having the soda card is that you don't have to wait for them to ring up the purchase, sign for it, etc. You just hand them your container (they give you an insulated one) and have it refilled, or ask for a soda and get it in a glass.

Things I noticed on RCI that differs from Princess and Cunard (at least the ships we took on both lines) are that (1) the glasses they give you are much bigger and (2) the bartenders don't seem miffed that you have a soda card (and that they have to serve you instead of someone else).

Whether it's a good deal probably depends on the number of sea days vs. port days and, obviously, how much you drink. I would point out that the cards are also good in the dining room or during shows. My husband, who can't drink alcohol due to heart medicine, really took advantage of the card. I at best broke even, but the convenience was worth any small financial loss.

Since I drink slightly more than two liters of Diet Coke a day, and I LOVE fountain drinks, I think this is a no-brainer for me. If only they'd let me run around with one of those IV bags and a stand, with the tube in my mouth, I'd be SO happy.

I have a question, though... For our Disney Cruise, I purchased a 64-ounce cool cup; drinks there are self-serve, and I always waited until people were out of the way before filling up my beverage. This kept me from having to run over and use 30 tiny paper cups per day. Will they let you do that on RCI, or do you have to use either the souvenir cup or whatever they hand you?

You are welcome to use your own cup. As long as you show the sticker on your SeaPass card, they'll fill up anything.

Try this:

771389_com_camelbakhy.jpg

This will be our first RCI cruise so this may be a silly question but here it goes - do you even have to pay for soda when you are eating in the dining rooms? We've only been on DCL where the fountain drinks are included. TIA!

Archived