Doing up that side zip on a formal dress....

Ditto here! When I first read this thread I thought I must be misunderstanding something because side zips are obviously much easier to reach than back zips! :eek: ;) So, as it turns out, I've been mistaken all along! Our ability to easily access our side zippers places us in a special group! ;) We are an anomaly! Now I feel sort of "special" :D

Hmmm......that word "special" has taken on new meaning in the past decade. LOL!

When I was in high school, I was a member of RASP - Redheads Are Special People.

Now we can create a new club, SASE - Sidezips Are So Easy! :D

I don't know who Henry is, but he can come clean my house anytime!

This is Henry that was used on RCCL.

Bonnie has her own and once posted a wonderful set of pictures of all the things that she and Henry have been doing. Wish she would post them again...hint, hint.

How coud anyone not think that little face is the cutest?

• 17849791.jpg

After struggling with a side zip this evening I have determined that the problem with me is the boobage. The darn things get in the way when trying to reach across to the zipper. I hadn't given it much thought before, only that I didn't like them (the zippers not the boobs) but after analysing the whole process I find it's my chest that gets in the way. Smaller breasted women don't have as far to reach around to the zipper. :o

I do not think I could get dressed at all if not for my DH. He is an absolute lifesaver. For our last cruise I bought a beautiful pale green dress that was on sale at Ann Taylor. I was chiffon with the same chiffon used to make a center/waist section about 4-5" wide. This waist section was highlighted with a 'very' narrow dark green material. This dress had an invisible zipper up the back. The dress was a size 18. I wear a 14 or 16 but for some reason always wear an 18 in formal dresses. I am large busted (38F). The dress fit me with plenty of room - it was not tight and I have 4 other Ann Taylor formal dresses the same size. Because of the insets etc. the zipper would stick at the waist area even when I was not in the dress. Well, formal night came and DH could not zip this dress for anything, his finger tips got sore from gripping the tiny zipper. THEN he could not unzip it! I was stuck! Well, he pulled up and he pulled down and it was getting to be dinner time so finally he just yanked the He** on it and it ripped! I loved this dress! Notice the past tense! You would think they could put a zipper in a dress that would work! It was NOT too tight on me - even DH said it was not that it was tight it would just not GO. I was really sad!

That's the downside of invisible zippers. They give a nice finished look but anytime they have to pass a couple of layers of fabric, they get very ornery.

I had one formal that had to be zipped just right or it got stuck either going up or down. I discovered that the zipper tape itself was fraying from, I'm assuming, people having tried it on and having to force it. I had paid next to nothing for it and fortunately I was able to carefully repair the zipper tape.

This is Henry that was used on RCCL.

Bonnie has her own and once posted a wonderful set of pictures of all the things that she and Henry have been doing. Wish she would post them again...hint, hint.

How coud anyone not think that little face is the cutest?

• 17849791.jpg

Just for you...

http://entertainment.webshots.com/slideshow/565233651DAsieF

(and YES! I had a little too much time on my hands that day! ;) )

After struggling with a side zip this evening I have determined that the problem with me is the boobage. The darn things get in the way when trying to reach across to the zipper. I hadn't given it much thought before, only that I didn't like them (the zippers not the boobs) but after analysing the whole process I find it's my chest that gets in the way. Smaller breasted women don't have as far to reach around to the zipper. :o

Same trouble here....the chest does tend to get in the way a bit :o

Maybe we should get the vacuum cleaner onto them, since it has managed to get onto the thread, a form of liposuction, maybe?...can't see what the connection would be otherwise :rolleyes:

Maybe we should get the vacuum cleaner onto them, since it has managed to get onto the thread, a form of liposuction, maybe?...can't see what the connection would be otherwise :rolleyes:

I apologize that Henry invaded your thread. :o I was just answering iheartbda's questions about Henry, as they appeared, since she asked me specifically. I didn't think it would continue as a topic. I'll just let it go from here on out though. But, just an fyi...Henry can't zip a side zipper either :eek:.

...And he has NO boobs at all! ;) :)

All threads wander a bit from time to time so sorry that you took umbrage at a little humor. ;)

Thanks Bonnie.:)

Wow.. Hope my post fits your standards and what's allowed and what's not.. Not that I care.

Put a thin ribbon through the loop of the zipper. One that's long enough so you can reach it beyond your ample "chest." Raise your arm, grab the ribbon with the other hand, and pull.

That makes sense. Maybe that's why I don't have any problems with side zips, I've got nice small boobies that don't get in the way. Small boobies + long arms = easy side zips. Makes perfect sense! :)

Bonnie - does RCCL sell Henry's?

That makes sense. Maybe that's why I don't have any problems with side zips, I've got nice small boobies that don't get in the way. Small boobies + long arms = easy side zips. Makes perfect sense! :)

I don't have long arms but I can also get around small boobies.;) It's that several thicknesses of fabric that that catch for me.

Bonnie - does RCCL sell Henry's?

Henry can be purchased here as well as siblings, George, James, Charles and Hetty.:D

http://www.chemiclean.co.uk/Numatic1.htm

Or here.

http://www.smarter.com/se--qq-henry+vacuum+cleaners.html?source=google_000+051a+100+000047ab_mtypeb_keyword_henry_vacuum_cleaners

Archived