Has Silversea Changed Their Pricing Offers?

Mike2131

2 weeks ago, the Spirit transatlantic in Oct 2010 was $4897 if u paid by 23 Oct 09, today the same cruise is $4838 and that's supposed to be with 60% off.

So a $59 difference....wow!!

As a poster already mentioned, all SS has done is increase their pretend price (which they call the publish price) and then taken 60% off that.

This is a good marketing ploy, put 60% as a discount and people will think they are getting quite a bargain.

Does SS want to fill their ships or not...interesting.

Cheers

ging466

I also noticed they actually increased the brochure fares on a day basis. That maybe due to the depreciation of USD in the past 2 years.

WHAT SS has done is increase the published fare and then increase the discount from 50% to 60% off. In effect it is a wash as the fare is almost the same as the 50% off deal. The headline 60% off is an attention getter but don't be fooled. It's the "same wine in a new bottle"

I agree that it's a bit of a shell game, but 50% plus on a line like SS for nearly all 2010 cruises is a darn good deal. Also, check the air rates. Our 3 Jan 2010 Spirit cruise west region rate went from $1499/per to $999/per. That's significant. We're looking at the 20 Dec 2010 Spirit holiday cruise as well. Rates like this won't last forever.

e. h. beach bum: WHAT SS has done is increase the published fare and then increase the discount from 50% to 60% off. In effect it is a wash as the fare is almost the same as the 50% off deal. The headline 60% off is an attention getter but don't be fooled. It's the "same wine in a new bottle"

dougburns: I agree that it's a bit of a shell game, but 50% plus on a line like SS for nearly all 2010 cruises is a darn good deal. Also, check the air rates. Our 3 Jan 2010 Spirit cruise west region rate went from $1499/per to $999/per. That's significant. We're looking at the 20 Dec 2010 Spirit holiday cruise as well. Rates like this won't last forever.

It is not a wash for the PA II. They moved the discounts back to the API levels, but with the higher brochure fare, the rates for the Norway expeditions have gone up quite a bit ($700 pp in our cat. for our sailing). There is also no "special" air program to balance any increase. I am just glad we are already booked.

WHAT SS has done is increase the published fare and then increase the discount from 50% to 60% off. In effect it is a wash as the fare is almost the same as the 50% off deal. The headline 60% off is an attention getter but don't be fooled. It's the "same wine in a new bottle"

I think the 60% off is still cheaper than the current 50% off:

I paid about usd 3500 pp for a May 2007 silver wind 7 day barcelona - rome cruise, that was a 50% off brochure price, for a veranda suite.

( so brochure price was about usd 7000 )

For a similar Sept. 2009 silver wind voyage 2930, the 50% off price is about usd 4500 pp for veranda suite. ( brochure price usd 8995 )

For a similar May 2010 silver wind voyage 2015, the 60% off price is about usd 3878 pp for veranda suite. ( brochure price usd 9695 )

I have not taken air promo into consideration for all these prices. I think the air promo is a discrimination on guests originating other than the selected US and Canadian gateways.

The prices in the weekend were much more enticing, but nobody works in the weekend so it was not possible to book at that time, SS must have made a joke to us all.

I guess it is all about the point of view you start with. We booked the 4/6/10 Shadow cruise (Barbados to San Juan) while onboard this same cruise (it was on Cloud in '09) this year. I was quite happy at the time with the pricing and discounts for the silver suite we booked. Under the new program my price as gone down a fair amount, so I really like the new pricing program. lololo

Mark

Annnapolis, MD

The price has dropped significantly on SS Whisper Jan 18-Feb 5 Sydney to Singapore. Dropped From $9402 to $7683 for a Veranda Suite, and $1799 is the economy air supplement now: was $2499 before the new pricing took effect. The weekend showed it at only $6800, so they did "fool with" the brochure rate before the official announcement, but it is still cheaper no matter how you look at it!

:confused:Good evening,

I saw the rates climb greatly between Sunday night and Monday AM.

Yes, they have included air on most of their voyages but the cruise I was interested in went up significantly. Enough to cover the air and much more.

I'm most bothered by the change in their Venetian Society discount. It was always based on the published price and since Monday it's now based on the discounted price. For those of you who have travelled with Silverseas for many years like myself, you'll understand the significant difference in savings.

What's next?

I love Silversea and have been a loyal passenger for over 10 yrs.

They need to reconsider some of their new changes.

Bon voyage!

ScottToronto

Yes, I agree. The particular cruise that my family and I are interested in went up in price, there is no air that will be included and there are no Venetian Society savings. So, there is nothing at all to entice me. And mostly SS ticked me off by increasing all the Silver Savings fares from what was listed over the weekend. I had tentatively anticipated several different trips based on the new lower fares I saw there, so was extremely disappointed yesterday when I saw the real story. I am not very happy with Silversea right now and am thinking about a land vacation instead for the one that I referred to above.

I think the air promo is a discrimination on guests originating other than the selected US and Canadian gateways.

I can't imagine how many cruises I'd be taking if the air was thrown in too. Imagine free air from Australia....woo hoo :D

Maybe I'll have to retire to North America!!

Cheers

ging466

"I'm most bothered by the change in their Venetian Society discount. It was always based on the published price and since Monday it's now based on the discounted price. For those of you who have travelled with Silverseas for many years like myself, you'll understand the significant difference in savings."

ScottToronto,

Where have you got your information from regarding the VS savings now being applied after other discounts and not from the published fare. I agree with you that this will impact significantly as I assume if will also apply to 100+ and 250+ VS discounts?

We have two voyages booked for 2010 and both of them would be more expensive on the new Silver Sailings, one of them quite a lot. I am calculating them both with the original VS discounts.

I can't imagine how many cruises I'd be taking if the air was thrown in too. Imagine free air from Australia....woo hoo :D

Maybe I'll have to retire to North America!!

Cheers

ging466

Maybe by that time there is no air promo...

I can only enjoy part of the benefit for south american or caribbean cruises.

Hi Swindy,

Good morning!

You were asking where I got the information regarding the change in VS discount. I actually booked a cruise for 2010 directly through Silverseas and the agent explained the new policy. Silverseas would have been better discounting less on the cruise and protecting our "beloved" VS discount. I also have reached my (100+) and counted on this nice bonus.

Perhaps they'll change it.

Regards,

ScottToronto :rolleyes:

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply.

I have looked on the website and can't find this info.

I think it is another "stealth" repricing and it obviously affects those Silversea guests who have been loyal the longest. We will reach 250 days on our next voyage and were expecting to receive the extra discount on the published fare on our 2010 voyages.....

Not happy!!!!!!

One thing that I like about the new pricing is that you don't have to pay in full a year in advance to get the 60% rate. It's back to the old system of 10% down and final payment 90 days prior to the cruise. We just booked the 20 Dec 2010 Spirit holiday cruise yesterday. Also, the air rates are very reasonable for most cruises and some include air. For that cruise the air from Phoenix-FLL-Phoenix is $599/per or @ $1200 total. Even with the senior rate on Southwest, which is about the cheapest you can find, the total was @ $1900.

I too questioned the change in VS and onboard discount. In my case, both were 5% off of the base, now they are 5% off the net (I have a quote from my agent). I am still getting a better deal than I had but I was surprised by the change in the way discounts were applied.

Mark

Annapolis, MD

Hi everyone, just joined today but have been reading the forum for a while so I feel like I know some of you. I too am frustrated with the new fares on offer. I paid in full 3/31/09 for the LA - Tahiti cruise with a 45% off published rate. Now I see that there "was" a 75% off special if paid in full by 5/31/08. Contacted my TA who contacted SS and so far SS have credited me $600 which is supposed to reflect the difference between my fare paid and the "current" fare available. But as to why they are still displaying a fare which never really existed and which has expired is beyond me. Incidently, I was checking the rates in May and the 75% discount was not available at that time. I love SS but what are they up to?

I think Silversea has handled this price change very well, both my 2010 cruises went down in price, the one I paid in full for had the difference refunded and the second now does not need to be paid a full year in advance. I could not be happier!

I think the luxury lines have gone out of their way to be fair on these promos the last few months. They are giving better and better promos, and to me, it is a benefit if someone comes along and reduces and gives you a new price when you already agreed to a certain deal. If I buy an Infiniti and let it sit there 8 months and put no miles on it, I don't expect them to take it back at the year end sale or come drop me a check for the $8000 I know they will be giving off. If I was not going to use it for 8 months, I could have waited. Hey, it might have gone up, too.

Meanwhile, the mass markets are doing rock bottom deals, offering something new every few days and doing a bait and switch on their blocked group space and threatening on their contracts without early payment (aka Carnival). They are doing this where a sale has been effective and they think they can get more $$.

I really respect Silversea, and I think that they love their clients. I am not trying to be a cheerleader. I am just stating my opinions on buying anything anywhere. Of course, I help people get reductions when I know they can be done and try even if I think they can't, but it really is a business practice that has not always been around in the world as a common thing like it is today.

Without the promotions, we would never have looked at stepping up from our mainstream/premium favorites - Princess and Celebrity. I am not sure who was actually first, but what caught our eye initially was the fact Crystal included 2010 sailings. Then Regent and Seabourn joined in with their programs and finally Silversea. Even though we have never sailed a luxury line, the anticipated value made the move a no brainer (at least for us).

I think two things made people upset - 1) the fact that some one "pulled the switch" early and posted those really discounted prices that made me start this thread and 2) the fact that some prices actually went up - in some cases quite a bit higher. That was the case for our PA II cruise next year. I realize he expedition cruises are a different animal, but it definitely precluded any itinerary switch on our part.

In our case it is a moot point. We were already booked with the API discount and will stay with the advance payment to preserve the savings. Secondly, even though the economy is still limping along, I don't think many of us feel these promotions are here to stay. I guess we will enjoy them while we can.

Just received our refund from Silversea (from our maiden TA in Jan) due to change in new pricing stategy announced Monday. We asked our TA to check on Monday (6 Jul), to refund today (10 Jul) ...good turn around...

Just received our refund from Silversea (from our maiden TA in Jan) due to change in new pricing stategy announced Monday. We asked our TA to check on Monday (6 Jul), to refund today (10 Jul) ...good turn around...

ColonelWes,

Are you in a Verandah Suite?

Our TA has been told by Silversea that this voyage and one we have booked in October 2010 are more expensive for us under the new pricing system!!!!

I'm not sure if we are being penalised as we pay in Pounds Sterling?

My understanding is that Silversea pricing is in U.S. Dollars. Depending on the Dollar/Pound exchange rate that may explain your problem. We're in a Silver Suite and the difference was only $156 total(less) for the Spirit T/A. Airfare was $1000 total less.

Archived