Your Stories of Kind, Wonderful Behavior

jkudzu

This is such a nice thread, I just want to tell you a special story of our first cruise. We were waiting in line to board and met this nice couple in line and chatted. We kept running into them on the ship, my dh and I stated we would like to hang out with them. Well our first shore excursion they were on it and considering there was only 10 people how lucky were we.

this couple booked the cruise 2 weeks prior to sail, it was there first trip since there daughter was killed in iraq and they needed a getaway desperatly. They were the first people we ran into and have touch our lives so deeply. We since then became lifelong friends. We have cruised with them ever since, we go to there house once a year and are truly blessed to have them in our lives. We stronly feel there daughter holly brought us together and they have taught us to treasure every moment you have with your family because it might be your last.

I have to tell you that this thread is really making my week. :(I'm going through some very difficult things at my job and reading about the wonderful experiences is getting my mind off of it and making me smile.

Thank you for sharing!

Keep them coming folks! There are lots of good people in the world and especially on cruises!:D

Ditto on both accounts. Great escape from the "issues" of work - that and I have to remind myself to be thankful I have this job....

People are usually pretty nice on all of the cruises we have been on. The one act that stands out for me happened on our first cruise. Our ship crashed into the dock in Costa Maya and we stayed a few extra days there while it was being repaired. The port is absolutely dead during the week when no ships are scheduled to be there. And there really isn't much to do.

So, we were hanging out on the beach there and it is pretty rocky. We were having a hard time getting into the water to swim because the rocks were so sharp. A very nice couple had a few floats with them and offered it to us. It was so wonderful of them to offer their floats to people they had never spoken with before.

On our last cruise we went on a cruise ship sponsored Whale and Dolphin Watch excursion. They crammed so many people onto that boat that there was no where left to sit once we boarded except for at the back of the boat, in the sun, on a bench over the vibrating engine in the fumes. Mind you, I was about 19 weeks pregnant at the time, and I felt miserable after the first half hour.

And it wasn't as bad for me as it was for an elderly lady sitting out in the sun. A nice guy on the excursion (not an employee) went over and asked the lady if she would like to switch seats with him (his seat was in the shade). She said no, so he gave her his hat. He eventually got her to move into his shaded seat, which was good because I thought she was going to get heat stroke.

Later he noticed how miserable I was and suggested that I go up front and stand where I would get the wind from the movement of the boat. At first I was just being stubborn, but once I did what he said I felt a lot better. My husband and I both ended up talking to him and his wife for most of the excursion, and ended up having a really fun time.

I don't know if he knew what a great impression he made on me, but it just seemed like he really cared about people, all people, and wanted to make sure we were all okay and having a good time. Super nice guy.

On our last cruise we went on a cruise ship sponsored Whale and Dolphin Watch excursion. They crammed so many people onto that boat that there was no where left to sit once we boarded except for at the back of the boat, in the sun, on a bench over the vibrating engine in the fumes. Mind you, I was about 19 weeks pregnant at the time, and I felt miserable after the first half hour.

And it wasn't as bad for me as it was for an elderly lady sitting out in the sun. A nice guy on the excursion (not an employee) went over and asked the lady if she would like to switch seats with him (his seat was in the shade). She said no, so he gave her his hat. He eventually got her to move into his shaded seat, which was good because I thought she was going to get heat stroke.

Later he noticed how miserable I was and suggested that I go up front and stand where I would get the wind from the movement of the boat. At first I was just being stubborn, but once I did what he said I felt a lot better. My husband and I both ended up talking to him and his wife for most of the excursion, and ended up having a really fun time.

I don't know if he knew what a great impression he made on me, but it just seemed like he really cared about people, all people, and wanted to make sure we were all okay and having a good time. Super nice guy.

It sounds as if he either worked in customer service (and did it well) or really has a servant's heart.

Hellolost - thanks for posting that - it was great!

This isn't from a cruise but I heard it on the radio yesterday and was so amazed I thought I'd pass it on.

A gentlemen decided he wanted to donate a kidney - but didn't have a family member to donate it to. Got ahold of a doctor who is known for kidney transplants. That one donor began a chain that ended up with 12 people getting donated kidneys! Wow - 12 lives changed by one good deed that multiplied!

Pay it forward!!!

Let me tell you about what one little 5 maybe 6 year old girl did for me.

Four years ago we were in Kona in March youngest son and his wife were with us. We went whale watching with Captain Larry, lot of people but not overcrowded.

Lots of us on the bow lots of whales and everyone standing up tall to see them except one little girl sitting down. I asked her why, she could see over the people. I ask her mother if it were alright to pick her us so she could see the whales also. It was ok.

The next sighting I picked her up and she saw the whale. She was a little uncomfortable so I put her down. The next sighting there was a tug at my pocket. Can I see she said with a little smile. Of course I said.

Well that little girl and me became great friends watching whales. The pictures we have of her gigantic smiles still bring tears to my eyes. It was a good whale watching tour but she made it a wonderful whale watching tour for me and I never will forget it.

Happiness comes in small packages.:D

Jack

for the lovely

Most people are honest people who will do the right thing. Last April we were at Coki beach in St. Thomas when our friends lost their ship passes and IDs. The DH had put them in a plastic pouch which he clipped to his swimming trunks. It came loose in the water and they were frantically searching the water when they saw a man walking up and down the beach. He had their picture IDs in his hand looking for the person in the picture!! Turns out he was from another cruise ship. Our friends were thrilled to have their IDs back. I think most travellers look out for one another. :)

I was on a beautiful river cruise and we docked and many went shopping

(shock! after museum visits. Having big dreams and smaller budget, I

went to a gorgeous jewelry store. They had a small necklace for under

$100 which I treasure. I noticed several ladies buying 18 KT jewelry

(not under $100) and other four-figured souvenirs. They left and

I continued enjoying my browsing. When I went to pay my 60 euros,

I saw a bag still there. Yes, it was one of those pretty, pretty paid-

for treats. The other ladies had dashed back to the boat, and one left

her treasure behind by accident.

I did not know the owner's name but found her at meal time

the next night. I got a big hug and we shared a few special

smiles for the rest of the trip.

I was on a beautiful river cruise and we docked and many went shopping

(shock! after museum visits. Having big dreams and smaller budget, I

went to a gorgeous jewelry store. They had a small necklace for under

$100 which I treasure. I noticed several ladies buying 18 KT jewelry

(not under $100) and other four-figured souvenirs. They left and

I continued enjoying my browsing. When I went to pay my 60 euros,

I saw a bag still there. Yes, it was one of those pretty, pretty paid-

for treats. The other ladies had dashed back to the boat, and one left

her treasure behind by accident.

I did not know the owner's name but found her at meal time

the next night. I got a big hug and we shared a few special

smiles for the rest of the trip.

It makes you feel good to do the right thing doesn't it? :)

I second that Sillysailor 1955 - I come back every day to see the new posts! Yes, there are nasty people in the world but you have to look past them and you'll see how many more really good folks are out there!!

What an excellent thread!

My post is an echo of an earlier post by someone else: the times I have cruised solo, I have been impressed at how many people, upon finding out I was cruising solo, invited me to join them for drinks, activities, dinner -things like that. That they would go out of their way to include me with their friends/family/whatnot is always very touching. On one cruise, an older couple at my dinner table even gave me the book they were reading - to keep - after I expressed interest in it.

In turn, I try to do things like that for other passengers that I meet in the course of the trip. Maybe it's just something as simple as saying 'the next bottle of wine is on me', but it feels nice to do that.

The crew on our cruises have always treated us with the same kindness. My girlfriend likes to get to know the crew, and usually by the end of the voyage we've made friends with a substantial number of them. I love that.

I look at the few people that complain and moan (there's always one or two at the purser's desk!) and think - how on earth can you not be enjoying this? Travel is a wonderful thing, but a cruise is something magical.

On our last cruise we had a very active roll-call board. It was so nice to get to meet everyone on the first night at a pre-arranged site. DH and I were invited to an amazing part in the Royal Suite, and had a blast with some amazing people. We had such a great time that we hope to meet up with these cruisers in the future.

Also, we were hanging out at Dawn Beach on St. Maarten, and some fellow-cruisers were on the chairs next to us. They offered to buy us drinks and wen ended up chatting for the whole day. The next few days, we kept running into them on our excursions. We had a blast!

I will share a story that happened to my aunt and uncle on our last cruise together. We all went whale watching in Juneau and my aunt and uncle were seated behind this older woman and her companion. The whale watching trip was great, lots of sightings, and my relatives ended up talking with the woman quite a bit. They told her about their grandson, who's currently serving in Iraq. She asked if there was anything she could do for the troops; my aunt told her that they always need new pairs of socks. (It sounds silly, but it's true. When they're out on watch in the desert for days, they're not able to change their clothes, and their socks pretty much get ruined and need to be thrown out.)

They exchanged addresses and sure enough, about a week after they got home, my relatives got a huge package full of socks to send to their grandson, along with a note thanking the troops for their service. The woman even included some great photos of the whales she took on our trip. They managed to exchange email addresses and are corresponding about the cruise and other things. But what a wonderful gesture - my aunt and uncle were so incredibly touched!

My best friend and I took a cruise last spring break.

On our first day at sea, we met a wonderful older couple that were really great!! I could imagine what it must have been like for them being on a ship full of crazy college kids, but this couple soon became our "parents" on the ship. That first day we sat next to them up on the deck and they would watch our chairs so they didn't get taken while we ran to get some lunch. In return, we watched out for their spots so they could get some food too! Throughout the cruise we would often run into them and they made sure we were still safe and having fun!! They seemed to care so much for two random college kids!

If you want to read about someone going out of their way for another cruiser, read this thread on the Carnival Cruise line section about a cruiser whose father in law has cancer and wanted some of the punch they serve onboard. She just wanted a supplier or recipe, but the company that supplies the ship with the guava/passion punch is going to send her some, even though they don't sell retail--only wholesale.

How cool is that? What a company! Kudos to them:

the company is called vitality foods.

http://www.vitalityfoodservice.com

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1019557

I get to brag about my sister. On a beach day in Grand Cayman, my sister found a wallet on the sidewalk at the resturaunt we were at. It had the man's ID, his sail ID and loads of money(several hundred). We were leaving to go to our dolphin swim so our cab was waiting. She took it to the bar and took down the man's name and address so he could call and have it sent to him if he didn't find it. He happened to be from the same state. I told her to take it back to the ship and have the purser contact him. Problem was he was on another ship. There were 5 ship there that day. She kept saying his name fairly loud on the way to the taxi. A woman walked past and said, "Did you say Rob *****?" That is my husband. My sister told her she found the wallet and turned it in at the bar. She said, "Oh, thank you we were looking for it and thought we were just out of luck". It turned out to be a good day for everyone. I am so proud of my sis on this one.

Archived