Considering Pre-cruise days in Paris

dougt1957

I am thinking about flying to Paris and spending two days there before my cruise on May 24th, 2010, on the Insignia out of Marseille. I have done some research on train schedules and should have no problem getting to Marseille for an 8:00 p.m. disembark. My biggest concern is how dependable are the trains in France? I've heard they sometimes have one-day strikes. Anyone ever experience this? Is it something I should be concerned about.? Also any tips for two days in Paris. It would be a Saturday and Sunday.

I am thinking about flying to Paris and spending two days there before my cruise on May 24th, 2010, on the Insignia out of Marseille. I have done some research on train schedules and should have no problem getting to Marseille for an 8:00 p.m. disembark.

I think you mean embark for a 8 pm sailing

I hope you plan on being there long before 8 pm.

I would check on the Ports of call forum to see if others have found the trains reliable

We are doing a post cruise to Paris. In checking flights vs. trains, I found that it's cheaper and qquicker to fly. Found a flight on easyjet.com €33.99 p.p. w/one checked bag, in Oct. In March it is €67.98 for both of us. These are flights from BCN to CDG, don't know if they fly from your port, but worth checking out.

Happy sailing,

Joanne

I just checked easyjet and unfortunately they don't fly to Marseille from Paris. I did actually mean embark. Sorry, it was late at night when I posted. I've checked the RailEurope site and they have lots of trains going to Marseille and the cost is reasonable. Less than $300.00 for both of us in first class seats. I've heard train travel is very reliable in Europe, so I thought it would be a good option. When looking at flight options to Marseille I noticed most went through Paris, an I just hated to be there and not get to see some of the sights. Any suggestions as to hotel and places to eat would be appreciated as well.

I didn't realize your preference was the train. My mind-set is always looking for a bargain. I think that's a wise choice. The trains in Europe are very nice and on time as long as there's not a strike.

Sorry, no hotel or eating suggestions in Paris.

Enjoy your trip.

Joanne

dougt1957...

AirFrance has numerous flights throughout the day to Marseilles, but you would be buying one-way tickets which is most expensive.

However, train travel in France and most of Europe is quite pleasant and if you are looking at first class, is also most comfortable. Travel time from Gare Lyon in Paris to Marseilles is about 3 or more hours and trains leave throughout the day. You might have to be concerned about strikes since the French seem to do that a lot, but who can tell?

There are countless hotels in Paris to choose from ranging for the simplest small hotel (no elevator) to the biggest luxury ones (costing as much as the National Budget) - a good TA should be able to help.....

Another excellent source for a hotel search is Tripadvisor.com, CC's sister site. I used it for my stay in Paris last year. I stayed at the Hotel Jardin de l'Odeon, for around $150 per night. It was an excellent location and pleasant hotel, near the Odeon metro stop, central to the Latin Quarter area. I have used TripAdvisor for hotel research several times, and have never been disappointed. Reading the hotel reviews is the best way to get a good feel for a place before committing to a reservation.

Trains in France are excellent for being on time, except during a strike, which tends to happen eerily close to holidays;). For May 24, I don't recall that there are any holidays close to then, so you should be ok to go by train. It is a very pleasant mode of transportation in France, especially the high-speed TGV trains.

I just checked Kayak (dot.com) and they are showing a 1 way fare on Air France from CDG to MRS for $75 per person for 3/24/10. There is a flight at 10:25A arriving 11:50A and another at 12:50P arriving 2:15P. There are others later in the day, but I'd say that might be pushing your luck.

My experience with trains in Europe is that in general they are very punctual. We just took an overnight train from Prague to Amsterdam that departed and arrived exactly on time.

Good luck in your planning.... Enjoy Paris.

Joe

Archived