Formal National Dress & men's formal advice

JTor

Hi Roscoe39,

On our last cruise, Alastair Greener the entertainment director wore a kilt quite often. One of our table mates said to us that a true Scotsman does not wear underwear. Is that true? :D

ask me nicely and ill show you on the next cruise...

all im prepared to say nothing is worn, its all in perfectly good working order.

:eek:

I am originally from the tropical region of Glasgow called "Sunny Govan". As regards the reference to Sauchiehall Street, I am reminded of the story of the Glasgow Police arresting a suspect on said street. They dragged him round to HOPE Street, because it was easier to SPELL in their report.

"Awra Best'

Findlay

Ah, Govan. Picturesque fishing village on the Clyde as I recall :)

Awra best, Findlay.

J

Are you for real?

Backpacking for 6 months, and your only packing problem for the world cruise (another 3 months) is a tux? Are you serious?

My suggestion would be cabin service. (Of course, if you book a duplex on the QM2, you can have your meals prepared in your stateroom.)

Actually, there is a remarkable invention called the "washing machine" which allows clothes to be effectively recycled on a weekly basis. Try it, you'll find you need to pack many fewer things for your 3 month cruise! Remarkably, this miracle device is available all over the planet and even aboard ship. If used correctly, it allows the traveller to look and smell socially acceptable, and thus to leave the cabin for meals. I would recommend against using it for your tux, however.

Actually, there is a remarkable invention called the "washing machine" which allows clothes to be effectively recycled on a weekly basis.

I use the shipboard laundry as I like to give my wife time off when we are away.

• 3 weeks later...

I am going to jump right in here and give you my opinion as a woman, not as a devoted Cunarder or an ex-Brit or a half-Scot or anything else. My best friend wore an Indian outfit AND a kilt (but not at the same time!) on the Vic World Cruise last year. And he looked terrific. We love it, don't we ladies? Now he has Scottish blood, but not Indian. I, too wore an Indian outfit. When we dinner with real Indian friends, they said they were honored that we wore our Indian outfits. Did anyone scold us or turn us away from the dining room? No. Do you have to prove your heritage to wear national dress. No. Only one drunken lady accosted my friend and asked why he was wearing a kilt and if he had the right to wear it. She said she was Scottish; but, when asked which clan, she couldn't remember. LOL. I am planning to take my full evening kilt regalia next year.

P.S. Scotland is part of the UK and Gt. Britain, devolution notwithstanding...and there is no English national costume, unless you count the Morris dancers hats and bells. In other words, gents, go for it....be peacocks!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

OK - I'm wearing a white tie, which I tied myself. And a set of tails that were custom made in London.

My wife is wearing an ankle length ball gown, complete with rinestones and ostrich feathers. Her dress was custom made in Milan.

Over which we're wearing our "National Dress" which was given to us by the US Olympic Committee.

Will this raise any eyebrows on the QM2?

1709559101_worlds1994.jpg.19f4e922654db6b9cb528e8686343fe2.jpg

OK - I'm wearing a white tie, which I tied myself. And a set of tails that were custom made in London.

My wife is wearing an ankle length ball gown, complete with rinestones and ostrich feathers. Her dress was custom made in Milan.

Over which we're wearing our "National Dress" which was given to us by the US Olympic Committee.

Only at lunch in Kings Court lol

Over which we're wearing our "National Dress" which was given to us by the US Olympic Committee. Will this raise any eyebrows on the QM2?

But its not your 'national dress' - I assume its the US Olympic Committee's 'uniform' for that games. If you were sailing on July 4th, then you might not be thought completely out of place....but otherwise....not really, no.

Yes

Wise idea. Did you know the cat in your avatar has two heads?

Sir Martin:cool:

Good one old man!:rolleyes:

. Did you know the cat in your avatar has two heads? Sir Martin:cool:

It's a mother cat and her son.

We found her in an alley, so her name is Alley-cat.

Her son tried to have sex with his mother when he was just a kitten.

So his name is Eddy-puss.

It's a mother cat and her son.

We found her in an alley, so her name is Alley-cat.

Her son tried to have sex with his mother when he was just a kitten.

So his name is Eddy-puss.

Sir Martin,

cover your ears now! Such talk is not for an aristocratic feline of your sensitive disposition.

J

LOL--me too but then I nearly fell off my chair with Sir M's two-headed comment. If it twern't for cats, there'd be no fun at all!

HRHugeness's staff

HRH, I believe we've already discussed your staff's avatar. Wasn't the conclusion hippo-esque?

Sir Martin

This time, I did fall off the wretched chair. Aristocratic!!!??? Sensitive?????

Mary

Staff to the common old crook

Madam,

how dare you denigrate my oldest and dearest friend in such a way. He is an aristocat of the finest pedigree and the highest moral rectitude. Crook indeed. How dare you!

Peace and love

Lord Stanley

how dare you denigrate my oldest and dearest friend in such a way. He is an aristocat of the finest pedigree and the highest moral rectitude. Crook indeed. How dare you!

Lord Stanley

Is that what he told you? Who do you think has spent hours in the local hospital coaching Ronnie Biggs on 'how to look as if you are at death's door'.

Mary

Is that what he told you? Who do you think has spent hours in the local hospital coaching Ronnie Biggs on 'how to look as if you are at death's door'.

Mary

So we can look forward to hearing from Lord Ronnie shortly can we ?

J

Archived