ketchikan

williewonka8

We did a tour a couple of years ago with Ketchikan Taxi Cab tours and Dave gave us a great tour of out of the way places outside of town. I would highly recommend them. The email address for more info is as follows:

http://ketchikantaxicabtours.com/

Another option is to rent a car and explore on your own. We did this on our most recent visit to Ketchikan just last week and it was a great way to control our own itinerary and see a great deal of the local scenery that is outside of the normal tourist area. We used Alaska Car Rentals to rent our vehicle and they were very helpful in suggesting areas to explore.

We did a tour a couple of years ago with Ketchikan Taxi Cab tours and Dave gave us a great tour of out of the way places outside of town. I would highly recommend them. The email address for more info is as follows:

Another option is to rent a car and explore on your own. We did this on our most recent visit to Ketchikan just last week and it was a great way to control our own itinerary and see a great deal of the local scenery that is outside of the normal tourist area. We used Alaska Car Rentals to rent our vehicle and they were very helpful in suggesting areas to explore.

What a great idea! Now I think we may know what we will do in Ketchikan. Thanks so much for sharing your infomation.

Karate Mom, how long did you rent the taxi or would you recommend? I am trying to decide how to allocate our time in Ketchikan. THanks!:)

Karate Mom, how long did you rent the taxi or would you recommend? I am trying to decide how to allocate our time in Ketchikan. THanks!:)

We booked Dave for four hours. There were six of us (our family of four and my sister and brother-in-law_. He made sure we saw so much in our short time in Ketchikan. We actually were probably on the tour for close to 4 1/2 hours by the time we returned to our ship. I would say 4 to 5 hours is a good amount of time. In that span we visited the cove where we saw bears, Totem Bight park and Sterling Cove at the end or the road. We had time to hike and explore at each location with Dave's great commentary.

Thanks! I am also would like to go sea kayaking, and my mother wants to take the grandkids to see the lumberjack show. Not enough time for everything <<sigh>>. The ship will only be there from 7 AM to 1 PM, so time to make some tough decisons. Appreciate the input.

Thanks! I am also would like to go sea kayaking, and my mother wants to take the grandkids to see the lumberjack show. Not enough time for everything <<sigh>>. The ship will only be there from 7 AM to 1 PM, so time to make some tough decisons. Appreciate the input.

That was our approximate time frame as well. Our tour with Dave did take up most of our time, but I'm sure he would shorten it to the highlights for you if you need to divide your time with another activity. It is hard when you have a short day.

My Mom and I are just off the Westerdam also had 7am to 12:30pm. We stepped foot on land about 8:30 am and just strolled around. It was really nice and the shops were great. We were going to go the lumberjack show but choose not to. There is an outlet mall which had many things priced very well. There is an excellant fish store, next to a bar. The bar is Fat Stans and food from the fish shore can be delivered to you at the bar. So you would go to the restaurant and tell them to bring it to Fat Stans. We choose to eat right at the restaurant. There clam chowder was on Food network (so they said). People were raving over it. In a bread bowl it was 8.95. We had crab legs which were really good.

Finally the stores on Creek St. were all native owners and the prices seemed to be very fair. There is a soap shop there and the maker and owner was great to talk to. The soap made great gifts. :)

Archived