Airboats & Alligators-Port Canaveral

Mskala

I'll be going on my first cruise in Septemer and I want to make it sort of an adventure. One of the excursion available is an Airboat Tour with Alligators in Port Canaveral. It's an inexpensive excursion (only about $50) and it sounds really interesting. Here's a link: Airboat Tour

I was wondering if anyone has ever done this excursion. Did you enjoy it? Did you see many alligators and wildlife? And what exactly does "gator tail" taste like?

Any input would be much appreciated! :D

We did the airboat out on Alligator Ally (thats the name of the tollroad), on Indian land. Its a little wilder there so you get to see more alligators and other animals.

That being said we loved the airboat ride and its so worth doing at least once. Its very loud, you get ear plugs and you skim over the top of the swamp and it feels like you are flying. I think everyone should do a airboat ride just for the fun of it, even if you cant get further out into swamp land.

I haven't done the excursion, but I've from that area and have done my fair share of airboat rides. You see a decent amount of alligators and the tour guide will normally point them out you. I think they're a lot of fun, but make sure to bring extra clothes because you're going to want to shower and change afterwards because you get nasty.

While I have never done an airboat trip, from my perspective gator tail tastes like salty, chewy chicken. I've had it prepared two ways, as "popcorn" and "tender" tail, so both were breaded and fried. If it's prepared any other way maybe it tastes different? I thought it was ok but nothing to go out of your way for.

I dont remember getting nasty?? It must vary from one airboat ride to another. I just know it was so fun, one of the highlights of a visit from a friend from hawaii who we did the local tourist stuff. I lived in the area myself.

I didn't do the one you are looking at, but we did do the one in Miami. I had done the airboat ride as a kid, but my wife had never done one. We both enjoyed it alot, both the airboat ride and the park area. I think you will have a good time on the excursion.

• 6 months later...

We did the tour out of Miami last month and loved it! Attached is the size of airboat we were in and another of one of the many gators we spotted during the tour.

Hannahscruisejan2010392.jpg

Hannahscruisejan2010368.jpg

The entire tour was a real eye opener to the Everglades ecosystem and the conservancy that the Florida gov't is taking to now protect it. If you love birds, it is a must see!!

Go and have fun! Sorry, can't comment on the taste of the meat though. Wasn't particularly hungry when we were there. :)

We were thinking of doing this same tour you are thinking of- we decided against it just because of the fact that we'll have our 7 yo and just turned 4yo with us and no car seats. It is about 35-45 miinute drive from the port...so we'll just hang out on the ship and take advantage of the lack of crowds.

I think it looks like a lot of fun- I know on the port of call board a bunch of people were discussing how much fun it was...

Oh, and I agree with the other poster- alligator takes like chicken. I have had it battered and fried- tastes like a salty chicken tender ;)

We went on this exact excursion your asking about, we sailed the Pride 1/17, this trip was alot of fun and we saw about 16 alligaters, only a few were on shore sunning, several were in the water. Our air boat captain said they have a 14 ft male in that area named King, we didn't see him but he said they see him very often. As far as what alligater tastes like, I think it tasted like chicken, a little more chewy, very good though. I definatly recomend this excursion. The overall airboat ride was only about 30 minutes, they had a woman who does animal rescue who displayed an anaconda, a small alligater and an opossum. Very interesting, she also had a toy yorkie and a macaw, very freindly.

I'll be going on my first cruise in Septemer and I want to make it sort of an adventure. One of the excursion available is an Airboat Tour with Alligators in Port Canaveral. It's an inexpensive excursion (only about $50) and it sounds really interesting. Here's a link: Airboat Tour

I was wondering if anyone has ever done this excursion. Did you enjoy it? Did you see many alligators and wildlife? And what exactly does "gator tail" taste like?

Any input would be much appreciated! :D

Everyone should take an airboat ride at least once. As far as seeing alligators, I can guarantee that every body of water in Fla has gators in it so it is VERY likely you'll see them on the tour. If not, I think some of the vendors have them in captivity as well.

Gator tail tastes "alot like chicken"....gotta try it at least once;)

Archived