Goodwill Guide In Japan

edpacecar

Hi,

I am going to use a Goodwill guide in Yokohama, I don't know anyone who has and would like to know any do's or don'ts. I would like to offer the guide a tip but not sure it's OK or how much.

If you have used a Goodwill guide how did you handle things?

Thanks,

Ed and Donna

Please dont offer your wonderful Goodwill Guide a Tip.It will be highly emabarrassing for them.Treat them as a very good friend that you havnt seen for a long long time.Treat them with dignity as they will treat you.

PLEASE DONT TIP.

If at all possible,take them a special gift, possibly from home.The Goodwill Guides are a group of volunteers who will go out of there way to give you a good safe day out.Your time with them may require entrance fees or a fare or during a mealtime.Of course its simple courtesy that you take care of these expenses which are mostly nominal.

There is a good possibilty you may end up with a new friend.

Enjoy your time in Japan.Its a wonderful wonderful experience.Take a breath,take your time,take it all in and take it slow and your commonsense will be your ticket to break the language communication barrier.Dont be in a hurry.

I have been fortunate through choice to have visited Japan many many times (its in Australias backyard,same timezone.

Japan is a very safe easy and a inexpensive country to visit(not including 5 star or tourist hotels).Its all about doing your homework and taking your time.

We had a wonderful Goodwill Guide last October in Osaka/Kobe, in fact we still converse online.

I second Campingman - DO NOT TIP. but bring a thank you gift. I brought a Florida Marlins TShirt (the Japanese are Baseball crazy) and chocolates. And wrap the gift (s) beautifully - that is as important as the gift.

My DH wanted a Tigers baseball cap so we went to the Dept. Store with her to buy one, when I found out she had 2 kids - we bought 2 hats for her kids. She gave us a gift of 2 fabric pieces for a wall hanging that I love, silk screened in her neighborhood.

There is no charge for a Guide as they like to show off their city/area and practice English. But you pay their way for their (and your) transportation, tolls, entrance fees and meals costs.

We took the train into Osaka(she pickedus up at the ship) then used taxis (you can use subways/buses whatever, too), went everywhere we wanted to, went to a local restaurant for lunch and had a great, personal attention day.

Now, next year we are going to Nagasaki, and she is putting me in touch with that group, too.

Have a great time,

MaryAnn

Hi to you !

Can someone tell me if it's possible to hire a GG as a solo traveller ?

Is it too expensive for one PAX ?

I read lots of information by Googling it on the Web but I want to have a neat info for my next cruise.

Thanks in advance!

Holacanada

On Volendam in 74 days, 3 hours, 6 minutes and 10 seconds

What I described in my post is not expensive. Did it seem that way ? You can even pair up with other people. The cost of anything depends on the choices you make. I chose taxis in town, you don't have to. The local restaurants are what everyone pays and most have pictures and prices of the food on a board out front.

If you don't have a guide , what are you going to do ? The cost of an all day shore excursion could be the same or most likely more than you need to pay for your unforgetable day with your own guide.

You went all that way to Japan, Enjoy, MaryAnn

Thank you for your clear answer Mary Ann.

I am gonna try to phone some guide. My full day trip will be from 07:00 am to the next morning 10:00 am. It's from Yokohama.

I don't know if we are allowed to sleep out of the ship for that night ? Can someone answer this question ?

Holacanada from Quebec city

Boarding Volendam in 74 days, 1 hour, 0 minutes and 48 seconds

PS: belive it or not my favorite character in Gilligan Island was Dawn Well aka Mary Ann..!

I also like $$$$$ Ms Howell $$$$$

My name is Frank BTW !!!

Hi Frank, As long as you tell the Front Desk, I wouldn't worry about staying off the ship in the evening. The GG wouldn't spend all that time with you, they have families, etc.

Of course, MaryAnn was the best -;). Ginger thought she was - but we know better !! LOL

Have Fun,

MaryAnn

If you don't have a guide , what are you going to do ? The cost of an all day shore excursion could be the same or most likely more than you need to pay for your unforgetable day with your own guide.

You went all that way to Japan, Enjoy, MaryAnn

How did you contact your Goodwill Guide? Can it be done by email? We will be in Japan in March 2010. It is probably too early to try to set something up. How much leadtime did you give. Thanks for the info. It sounds like an amazing way to visit.

Diana

Not all cities have them (We are going to Nagasaki, and I see they don't have a guide club:() but go to www.jnto.go.jp/eg/ and in the site search line - put Goodwill Guides. Then scroll until you see goodwill...

I would email them and see what's what. We are going in March, too ! on the Pacific Princess World Cruise, are you ?

Oh Frank, You don't have to let the front desk know if you'l be off the ship all night. The ship will be in the same port.

If you were doing a land-tour and catching up to the ship in another port, then let them know.

MaryAnn

I had read that it is an easy port to do with the tram, etc. But to do something unexpected and go out to lunch, it would have been nice to make a new friend.

Now, we are also going to Pusan, S. Korea and I see that they have a Goodwill Guide program. I'll be checking that out.

All the best

MaryAnn

We used volunteer guides in both Tokyo and Kyoto. They were wonderful, helpful and free (you pay 1000 yen towards their travel costs and their lunch or entrance fees etc.) that is all. It is like seeing the city with a local friend.

You dont need one in Nagasaki but the subway in Tokyo definately is not for the faint hearted the guide made it all easy and we were able to pick and choose what we wanted to see. I dont think we would have ended up having lunch in a 460 year old tea house without the assistance of the guide.

In Pusan there is a great hop on hop off bus with english translations...no guide needed.

Thanks to everyone, so far . I know that I don't 'need' a guide as much as 'want' a guide. It was such an interesting day sharing something of their country with a local person. Others on the ship had other guides from the same club. We all felt that we did the right thing and had a better time because of them.

I think Nagasaki and Pusan would be 'doable' on our own but I'll still want a guide to show us something we would never have found on our own.

I'll keep you posted,

MaryAnn

• 6 months later...
Thanks to everyone, so far . I know that I don't 'need' a guide as much as 'want' a guide. It was such an interesting day sharing something of their country with a local person. Others on the ship had other guides from the same club. We all felt that we did the right thing and had a better time because of them.

I think Nagasaki and Pusan would be 'doable' on our own but I'll still want a guide to show us something we would never have found on our own.

I'll keep you posted,

MaryAnn

Did you find a source for a "guide" in Pusan? How do you contact them?

Archived