Onboard alcohol purchases

cruiserr

We're sailing on the Jewel in August and understand that we cannot bring alcohol on board with us. However, we would like to have the occasional drink on our balcony before dinner. Apart from buying a drink in a bar and bringing it back to our cabin, are there any other options? For example, can we purchase alcohol in the shops onboard and take it to our cabin and mix our own drinks? How do others solve this dilemma?

Thanks!

You can not buy alcohol in the duty free shop and take it back to your stateroom. If you purchase anything they will hold it for you and return it to you your last night. You can however, purchase a bar setup for your room before you leave. You need to do it at least 2 weeks before you sail. The price of the alcohol is a little pricey ($60-$80 per liter, plus a $3/bottle set up fee). So it depends on how much you drink if it's worth it to you. If you want to get the bar setup you should contact the event coordinator at groupeventjewel@ncl dot com.

We're sailing on the Jewel in August and understand that we cannot bring alcohol on board with us. However, we would like to have the occasional drink on our balcony before dinner. Apart from buying a drink in a bar and bringing it back to our cabin, are there any other options? For example, can we purchase alcohol in the shops onboard and take it to our cabin and mix our own drinks? How do others solve this dilemma?

Thanks!

Just done a bar set up for our upcoming cruise in August with no problems. :D You can either email Mayra at................................

Mayra Ship coordinator <mmateiro@ncl.com>

or do what I did, (because I didn't want to put my CC details in an email) call her on ............

Mayra Mateiro | Group Event Coordinator Jewel

groupeventjewel@ncl.com

800.327-9020 | Ext 7770 | fax 305.436-4147

Hope this info helps. ;)

BTW, I have a price list if you would like me to email it to you. ;)

Thanks!

No cruise line will allow you to purchase from the gift shop and take to your cabin. THose days, sadly, are long gone. I can understand why: everyone was doing exactly that. The cruise lines depend heavily on the bars for revenue.

YOu can purchase a bar set up prior to sailing, that is what we do, it works great. We have our bottle, it is cheaper than buying from the bar and more convenient.

Nita

The only exception appears to be on a B2B cruise. You are given your liquor purchase back the night before debarkation for cruise 2 and therefore you have possesion of that alcohol in your cabin for cruise 2. At least that was how it worked for us last February!:)

Thanks!

The fridge in the cabin has a mini-bar in it (BA balcony does anyway). I don't know what the prices are like but they have a reasonable selection. (We never used it BTW)

You may be able to order bubbles/drinks from room service???

The fridge in the cabin has a mini-bar in it (BA balcony does anyway). I don't know what the prices are like but they have a reasonable selection. (We never used it BTW)

You may be able to order bubbles/drinks from room service???

Yes, you can order drinks and such from room service. :)

No cruise line will allow you to purchase from the gift shop and take to your cabin. THose days, sadly, are long gone. I can understand why: everyone was doing exactly that. The cruise lines depend heavily on the bars for revenue.

YOu can purchase a bar set up prior to sailing, that is what we do, it works great. We have our bottle, it is cheaper than buying from the bar and more convenient.

Nita

Hi Nita, regarding the bar set-up, the price lists I've seen only pertain to liquor. Is is possible to include a bottle or two of wine in a bar set-up? I'll drink vodka tonic's, but my wife would prefer a glass of wine in the suite before heading out (or later when we come back).

thanks!

The airline sized bottles of booze are $7.00 each. Add $2 for a soda, if you want a mixer. For comparison sake, a Vodka & tonic, house brand, is $5.15 plus 15% gratuity at the pool.

You can buy a bottle of wine at dinner and bring it back to your room, if you want to have a glass on the balcony at your leisure. The cheapest bottle in the restaurants is around $25 (at least on the GEM last week).

Or you can do a cruise critics search for "smuggling alcohol."

Hi Nita, regarding the bar set-up, the price lists I've seen only pertain to liquor. Is is possible to include a bottle or two of wine in a bar set-up? I'll drink vodka tonic's, but my wife would prefer a glass of wine in the suite before heading out (or later when we come back).

thanks!

I'm not NITA but I think I can answer your question.

Yes you can per-order Wine for your stateroom. Go to the NCL website and down load the Wine List. It can be found here:

http://www.ncl.com/csimages/907/558/NCLWinelist09.pdf

The last page is an order form for on board delivery.

I hope this helps.

The only exception appears to be on a B2B cruise. You are given your liquor purchase back the night before debarkation for cruise 2 and therefore you have possesion of that alcohol in your cabin for cruise 2. At least that was how it worked for us last February!:)

Wow, I never even thought of that lambs! Good tip. Now, if we could just afford to do a B2B!!!

I'm not NITA but I think I can answer your question.

Yes you can per-order Wine for your stateroom. Go to the NCL website and down load the Wine List. It can be found here:

http://www.ncl.com/csimages/907/558/NCLWinelist09.pdf

The last page is an order form for on board delivery.

I hope this helps.

Even if you are unable to order your wine before you sail, just ask you room steward for a wine list (or call room service). You can order a bottle to be delivered. Just don't forget to tip the room service delivery person $1 - $2 for the service.

Enjoy!

Even if you are unable to order your wine before you sail, just ask you room steward for a wine list (or call room service). You can order a bottle to be delivered. Just don't forget to tip the room service delivery person $1 - $2 for the service.

Enjoy!

Yes this is quite so.

The prices are the same if you order on-board or per-order. The only advantage of per-ordering is the wine will be waiting for you in your stateroom.

Re wine for your wife - I bought a couple of bottles of wine in Duty Free at the airport and then paid $15 corkage per bottle when embarking. NCL put a sticker on it to show corkage had been paid and you can have that in your room or take it with you to a restaurant. This way you have wine that you know and like, and pay much less than buying onboard even with the corkage fee:)

Archived