Flying into Vancouver on Day of Cruise

mtnbikechick73

My husband and I are on the 8/14/09 RC Radiance of the Seas leaving from Vancouver. Our flight leaves Dallas at 9 AM our time and gets to Vancouver at 11 AM their time. Barring any delays, should we have enough time to clear customs and get to the ship? On our other Alaskan cruises, we always got into our embarkation city a day early. Thanks!

You are cutting it close. Any delay and you are sunk. I would HIGHLY recommend flying in a day early. I don't speak from experience but I just don't think it is a good idea to cut it this close.

If you are taking Continental then I would try to switch the departure portion of the flight since you are still 21 days out from the cruise then this change is free. 21 days and in costs $150 per ticket, but I was told more than 21 days out you can change if a same flight is available on another day (ie same destination from same origin) - basically days can change but locations have to stay the same.

We are flying in on American. My husband had alot of frequent flier miles, so we didn't have to pay for airfare. I'm not sure if we can change the flight without massive charges. Thanks for the advice! I'll have to check.

You are cutting it close. Any delay and you are sunk. I would HIGHLY recommend flying in a day early. I don't speak from experience but I just don't think it is a good idea to cut it this close.

If you are taking Continental then I would try to switch the departure portion of the flight since you are still 21 days out from the cruise then this change is free. 21 days and in costs $150 per ticket, but I was told more than 21 days out you can change if a same flight is available on another day (ie same destination from same origin) - basically days can change but locations have to stay the same.

My husband and I are on the 8/14/09 RC Radiance of the Seas leaving from Vancouver. Our flight leaves Dallas at 9 AM our time and gets to Vancouver at 11 AM their time. Barring any delays, should we have enough time to clear customs and get to the ship? On our other Alaskan cruises, we always got into our embarkation city a day early. Thanks!

Let me tell you my story. In late May, I flew from DFW to Vancouver on the AA nonstop flight that was scheduled to leave at 5:00 pm. (I was flying in on Thu. and my cruise left on Sat.) We didn't depart until after 7:30. If that happened to you on the day of the cruise, you'd be very hard presssed to board on time. And, if you somehow managed to make it by the skin of your teeth, just think how stressed you'd be.

Don't put your vacation in the hands of the airlines. Fly in a day early.

Diane

I'm assuming that you are flying out of DFW and not Dallas Love. I've taken flights to Vancouver many times as I often have meetings. I think you are cutting it too close. I've waited a long time in the immigration line when it is a cruise departure day.

You have to ask if there is a later flight that would mean you could make your cruise. If not, you have a poor situation.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Now I think I'm going to have a heart attack. I know American Airlines isn't known for being kind when you have to change flights. We'll see.....

Give them a call right now so you can rest tonight. The rules are different when booking with AAdvantage miles. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Diane

I hope I can find a decent hotel rate for that night!

You might try using Priceline to get a good rate on a hotel room. I've never used it but have read on the "Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite...." thread (under West Coast Departures) about many people getting great deals there on rooms the past few months. Might be worth a try. BTW, that's an EXCELLENT source of info on all things Vancouver from some great folks!!

Glad you were able to change your flight date. We sailed from Vancouver on May 16 and spent more than 2 hours in the immigration line. :eek: Good luck and enjoy your cruise!!!

WHEW!!!! They changed the flight for us, no problem. Now I feel alot better. Thanks so much for the advice - you probably saved us from running after a ship, screaming, "Pleeeeeeease don't leave me!" :D

See now, don't you feel better? All the worry is over!

It will be interesting to see if your original flight is delayed and if anyone on that flight misses your ship. This way you can have a pleasant evening, a good night's sleep and can walk to your ship if all else fails!

I did watch a ship depart without me and learned my lesson. It isn't nice!

Last January we we on an early afternoon flight from ATLANTA to Ft Lauderdale to get to our cruise the next day. Two elderly ladies sitting across the aisle from us had missed their earlier flight and lucklily were able to get on ours, but they were cutting it VERY CLOSE to making their ship's sailing. They prayed the whole way that our flight would not be delayed as the only had minutes to spare they figured.

It was not a good start for a vacation for them - even if they made it. Plus being a day early lets you get on the ship early and explore it before you sail - its like adding an extra 1/2 day to your cruise versus getting on right before sailing.

DAveOKC

Thanks, everyone, for your advice. I was able to get us a flight the evening before the cruise, and found a Days Inn near the airport for $72 a night. Since we only need it to sleep in, it was a good deal. Our flight doesn't get in until after 7 PM Vancouver time, then with customs and all that jazz, I figured we'd get right to the hotel and crash. And it has a free airport shuttle, so it can take us back over there the next day to catch our cruise transfer to the ship.

Ya'll probably saved me from a HUGE headache of missing my cruise ship!

:D :D :D :D

Thanks, everyone, for your advice. I was able to get us a flight the evening before the cruise, and found a Days Inn near the airport for $72 a night. Since we only need it to sleep in, it was a good deal. Our flight doesn't get in until after 7 PM Vancouver time, then with customs and all that jazz, I figured we'd get right to the hotel and crash. And it has a free airport shuttle, so it can take us back over there the next day to catch our cruise transfer to the ship.

Ya'll probably saved me from a HUGE headache of missing my cruise ship!

:D :D :D :D

I am glad to hear it worked out for you. Your original flight would work if there were no delays. However, since no one can make that predicition, you are far better off going the day before. Sometimes summer storms reck complete havoc with the air transportation. It is much better to start your trip with minimal stress. If you wanted to get yourself to the ship, you would have time to take in some of the sights of Vancouver before boarding.

Last year someone posted that their flight was delayed and they missed their ship. The first port was on day 4. What a shame to miss half of your cruise!!! They had insurance, but still they missed out on a good portion of a cruise with many other family members. Sleep well!!! ;)

No question in my mind you made the right decision to change. My rule of thumb is that if I have to fly to the port or drive more than 4 hrs then I want to be there the day before....it is just not worth the risk.

The cruise line made my plane reservations and they have me arriving in Vancouver at 1:15 with the ship leaving at 4:30. Hopefully that will give me enough time. Reading these posts is starting to get me worried. I'm assuming that if they made the reservations, they will have to wait for me. I have also purchased the transfer option where they pick me up at the airport. I don't think they would leave without me, would they? My cruise leaves on August 8th.

Yes, they will leave without you. They left without me! I booked the cruise line's air and transfers Instead of taking me to the port, they dumped me at a hotel as the ship was shut up tight and ready to depart.

See if you can get your flight changed.

I'm serious!

It is probably too late unless any of you have Sept cruises planned, but you might want to get a Nexus card for future transborder travel before/after a cruise. It allows you to bypass the immigration lineups (Canada and US). Inexpensive (we Canucks paid about $75) and is good for 5 years. I don't know about the turnaround time in your location, but we had our cards and approvals in just a few weeks (this was 2 yrs back) and have never had to wait in lines again (except at cruise terminals, sigh).

Pennyagain makes a great point - don't think that they will hold the ship for you just because you booked cruise-air, they won't!

I am a very experienced air traveler due to my old business travel, and have seen many things happen to delay a flight. The WORST deal I had on a cruise was the one time I booked cruise air and they would not let me off the ship in time (in Vancouver) and we barely made the flight. We had to run through the airport and made the flight with two minutes to spare. I vowed NEVER to book cruise-air after that experience. There is no advantage to book it IMO and I think their flights are the worst ones.

Do yourself a huge favor and always book your own air and go in a night before.

DaveOKC

We flew in the day prior to our cruise, but there were people on our flight departing on cruises the same day. We arrived at about 1:45 and I noticed as we exited and headed toward immigration there were representatives there asking people if they were boarding that day. It appeared they were trying to get those people processed on a priority basis. While I would never recommend cutting it that close, if you can't get it changed, you may want to talk to your cruiseline in advance and see if they will have someone there to meet you and get you quickly through immigration and on your way to the ship.

I don't think they would leave without me, would they?

Yes they will leave without you if you are not at the dock in time. Makes no difference that you booked air with the cruiseline. The difference I believe is, (someone correct me if I am wrong here) they are responsible to put you up in a hotel and get you to the first port. If you book air on your own and don't have appropriate travel insurance, you will have to pay all costs involved in getting yourself to the port.

I have read of a few cases where a ship was held up briefly for a large number of people, but they cannot do this in all situations. I know on our cruise 15 people missed the ship and caught up with us in Ketchikan.

I would not recommend flying out the day of, but I know many people are more daring than I. If there are big storms going through the morning of your flight, you could have delays for hours. Just not worth it to me. We actually flew out two days ahead, so I could rest easy.

Thank you for your quick responses. I remember reading in my cruise packet that I do not head for the baggage claim area or immigration. I head to this one area where their people will help us through the process and out to the transfer area. Hopefully that is correct. I'm at work right now so can't check my paperwork but I will give my TA a call once I verify my flight times.

Archived