Apartments in Rome

tjljsc

So, after way too much time researching hotels, I'm starting to believe that what I want doesn't exist (or at least doesn't have any availability). So... we're looking into renting an apartment for the 1 night we have in Rome, pre-cruise. I've been reviewing Venere.com and TripAdvisor.com, but was hoping for some personal experiences here as well.

It appears that I can get the "pretty" factor much easier in an apartment for a much lower price. Just want to make sure this isn't "too good to be true" and set myself up for disappointment.

Anyone stayed at an apartment in Rome? If so, which one and how was it? Pros/cons of staying there vs a B&B or hotel?

I haven't rented an apartment in Rome, but I often use VRBO to find condo and house rentals for vacations elsewhere. http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/europe/italy/latium-lazio/rome

To sort the listings by # of bedrooms, use the "Sort by" function near the top of the page. The availability calender on most of the listings makes it easy to determine if the unit is available for your stay (as long as the owners keep it updated.)

This recent thread on CC might be of help:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1004835&highlight=rome+apartments

A search in the "Search this forum" function at the top of the Med forum page should reveal more threads on the topic.

I don't know if I would go that route for just one night. Most have a hefty deposit and are a little more hassle just checking in etc.....

Don't get me wrong - we have rented condos/apt/homes from cyberrentals many times (not in Rome tho) and have loved every stay. They allow you options since most have a kitchen or kitchenette and other "homey" ammenities.

but for just one night..... I would go for Albergo del Senato. Has a definate "pretty" factor (ask for room 204 !!!) and the location just can't be beat - period. I could toss a stone from our balcony (only one on the FRONT of the hotel - room 204) and hit the Pantheon. The piazza was a constant source of entertainment (people watching) and the staff is great. The rooftop bar is wonderful for views and sunsets !

Just my opinion tho.

We have rented an apartment in Rome several times for periods of one to two weeks. We use Residenza Giubbonari on Via Giubbonari which runs into the Campo dei Fiori. We will be using this apartment for a four day stay after our 2010 Oceania Ionian Inspiration cruise. www.residenzagiubbonari.com.

Residenza requires a minimum three night stay and at least a 200 Euro deposit at the time of booking. The deposit is applied to the total rental amount but there is also a "cleaning/security" deposit due at the time of arrival. You do get this deposit back but must meet with someone from the office prior to your departure to have it returned. Plus the usual recording of your passport information. Your passports are returned to you and not held by apartment management.

There are two apartments in the building that have terraces, the "penthouse" apartment has two separate terraces and a new purchase, the "pink" apartment has one. The views are magnificent and the location is perfect, there is a grocery store and numerous restaurants in the area.

I believe, after doing my own research that most apartments will require a three night stay. You could check the website of www.rentvillas.com for apartments. Residenza Giubbonari lists apartments with them and may offer one night stays, however, you will pay a higher price. It is a lot of work for just one night, it really makes sense to stay longer.

but for just one night..... I would go for Albergo del Senato. Has a definate "pretty" factor (ask for room 204 !!!) and the location just can't be beat - period. ...

I would LOVE to stay here, but the price tag is way out of our budget. I can't justify spending more on the Rome hotel than I'm paying PP for the cruise.

Thanks for the feedback on check-in and deposits, though. Will keep that in mind.

It is a lot of work for just one night, it really makes sense to stay longer.

I've actually found quite a few that will do just one night (probably a sign of the economic times), but I will have to consider the amount of work involved with check-in and deposits. Sadly, we just don't have longer to stay in Rome, so we're going to have to pack in as much as we can and hope to return another time.

Jen, have you tried Hotel Golden ??? We did not stay here but a BUNCH of our fellow cruisers did on our first trip and while not real high in the pretty factor it is clean and in a great location near the Spanish steps. And the price is really good. But small and books early (that is a good sign).

Jen, have you tried Hotel Golden ??? We did not stay here but a BUNCH of our fellow cruisers did on our first trip and while not real high in the pretty factor it is clean and in a great location near the Spanish steps. And the price is really good. But small and books early (that is a good sign).

Thanks. Sadly, it's booked. :(

Any other suggestions?

Try Hotel Smeraldo. Great location near Campo di'Fiori and great price (130 Euros), with breakfast for 7 Euros more per person, recommended by Rick Steves. We spent four nights there three years ago and five nights there just last month. Not fancy, but very clean with a small elevator and good a/c.

Warning: you actually will pay for one night in advance non-refundable, which really puts off many.

I'd beware of judging the "pretty" factor from photos, either of apartments or hotels. I generally find that neither look quite as good in person......photos may be several years old, after all, and they are going to present their properties in the best light.

If you are only in Rome one night, I think I'd be more concerned about location and affordability than finding something pretty.... After all, you probably won't be spending much time in the room.

... If you are only in Rome one night, I think I'd be more concerned about location and affordability than finding something pretty.... After all, you probably won't be spending much time in the room.

Great point. I had just hoped to find a "total package" type place within my budget. :(

Archived