possibly 1st Princess cruise

Mrs. Ram

Hi everyone! I have been lurking in here for a while to see what Princess is all about and for the most part it sounds great. I have traveled several times on Carnival, since I was a teenager, and I am growing less and less fond of the Carnival line. I LOVE cruising though and my Grandfather highly recommends Princess. I do have a few concerns, however. We would like to do a Caribbean cruise somewhere out of Florida and we were looking at a 7 day on the Crown Princess. I have seen some really bad reviews on this ship and am quite concerned. I do not worry about the ports because I have been to many of them before and know what to expect. I am only concerned about the ship. I LOVE the bedding on Carnival, it is very comfortable and I sleep like a baby! How is the bedding on Princess? The food? Any info on the ships would be great! Of the ships that do RT out of FL, which would you recommend?! TIA!!!

I'm not sure what "bad reveiws" you are referring to. We were on the Crown last year and it was great. Built in 06 I think.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the deck arrangement. I think 6 or 7 you can not walk from front to back. Must go up or down one level.

I read all the time about egg crate matresses for the beds. We had no problem at all and slept like babies without the egg crate. If you like a top sheet ask your room steward as the beds are made up without one.

It's a big ship but you don't feel crowded. It might take you a week to see the whole ship.

We had the hardest time finding and remembering where the public restrooms were. After two weeks we had it down pat.

I read all the time about egg crate matresses for the beds. We had no problem at all and slept like babies without the egg crate.

I had this same experience with the beds. We were so worried after reading some bad reviews about them, but when we got on board we were fine even without the egg crates.

As far as bad reviews about the Crown, I haven't read that many, but keep in mind you can find bad reviews for every ship out there, no matter what cruise line. I always take the reviews with a grain of salt. For the most part it seems people really like the Crown.

I've sailed both Carnival and Princess. We really like both lines, so I don't think you'll be disappointed with your choice. We like Princess because of the anytime dining and the entertainment. Regarding the food, I have to give a slight edge to Carnival in this category, but having said that I have always been happy with Princess' food. This is a personal preference so it's hard to say how you'll feel. It seemed like Princess had more seafood choices, and I don't like seafood, so that's part of the reason I prefer Carnival's food. However, there is not enough of a difference in the food to make me choose one over the other.

Whatever you decide, have a great time! :)

We sailed the Crown in 2007 and loved it. Beds and food were just fine. I have sailed Carnival a few times but much prefer Princess.

Feel free to check out pictures of our cruise on our website. There are 2 groups of pictures from our 2007 trip - one is inside/outside pictures of the ship.

Enjoy!

There is way too much made about the beds and ship movement. All you need are a couple of people to bring this up and then everyone focuses on those things while on board.

We just got off of a 15 day cruise on the Crown. It was wonderful. We slept great and thought the beds were just fine. She is a beautiful ship and we would not hesitate to sail on her again.

Thank You for all of the replies! I was concerned after hearing that this ship rocks like crazy in calm waters. I don't mind a little rocking (after all, you are on water:p) but I don't want to feel like I will end up in the ocean :o! The other questions I had were only because I have no idea what to expect with Princess and am happy to hear that they should not be an issue! I am SO excited to give Princess a try! Looks like we may try to go some time end of this year!!!! Thanks again!

Thank You for all of the replies! I was concerned after hearing that this ship rocks like crazy in calm waters. I don't mind a little rocking (after all, you are on water:p) but I don't want to feel like I will end up in the ocean :o!

I don't have a problem with sea sickness but I didn't think the rocking was a problem. That includes the afternoon were we left Aruba serveral hours late because of heavy winds.

The crown has had a couple of recent so-so reviews,but the crown is a good ship,and most who sail on it,are very happy with their cruises,My pick for a ship sailing the caribe,Would be The Emerald Princess,She is alot newer,And has all the bells and whistles,We sailed on her in europe,and were very pleased with the crew,The way it looked,and the layout of the ship in general,The prices for the ruby,are not reasonable,The Emerald offers a good price on the 18th of October,From an online t a,where you go to vacation,You will love the Emerald,have a great cruise;)

Archived