Current visa requirements for China, Vietnam, Singapore, Hong Kong

mmyorkston

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/t84229.htm

This is the site that shows info regarding the Chinese Consulate holding jurisdiction by area of residence. There is one embassy in the U.S. (Wash DC) and there are five consulates--L.A, Houston, San Francisco, Chicago, NY. Note the remark about using the proper consulate.

Authentication is a different procedure from applying for a visa and probably not required for a US citizen to obtain a chinese visa.

And again, I believe that what is showing on that website is for mail in applications for persons with the exemptions I posted previously.

Authentication is the process that determines that a foreign born, either naturalized or resident alien Chinese is REALLY Chinese or has relatives in China.

We are from Canada, don't know whether it is the same situation or not. Just return from a trip to China, we do have to submit to specific Chinese Consulate depends on where our residence is; so I went to a travel agency here who specialized in Tours in China, they do it for a fee too, and they have 'connection', so my son's visa application which suppose to have to go to Vancouver went with ours to Toronto, and no problem getting it done. May be trying to use a local travel agency would be more convinient.

Our itinerary will be coming from Japan and Korea to Dalian, Beijing, Shanghai, then to Japan, Taiwan, disembarking in Hong Kong.

Two years ago this required a single entry visa for China. Have the requirements changed or will a single entry do it?

Thanks very much for any information.

SilvertoGold

Thanks, Winterpegger

Yes, three continuous ports, so one entry.

The visa agency recommended by the cruise line quotes a multiple entry visa. No written information from the cruise line yet and the TA doesn't know.

May have to wait longer until the cruise line comes through with the information.

Thanks again.

SilvertoGold

Well, may be they consider one entry for every time the ship leaves the port and re-enter into another port, thus, the reasoning about multiple entry visa, but I thought as long as the ship stays in the water of China...., any other cruiser knows about this one?

Well, may be they consider one entry for every time the ship leaves the port and re-enter into another port, thus, the reasoning about multiple entry visa, but I thought as long as the ship stays in the water of China...., any other cruiser knows about this one?

Get the 6 months, multiple entry visa. Same price ($130 for Americans) as a single entry/double entry. Then you are covered for all situations. IF the ship would have to dodge a typhoon or go outside Chinese territorial waters for whatever reason (North Korea shoots off another missile???), you are also covered. AND as someone who has spent a lot of time in Asia for business, the Chinese tend to make up rules as they go along (as do the Vietnamese and especially the Cambodians). What is gospel in the USA at consulates is NOT always the same when you get to China and deal with Beijing (government). So for the same money, get as many entries as possible.

Thanks, Winterpegger

Yes, three continuous ports, so one entry.

The visa agency recommended by the cruise line quotes a multiple entry visa. No written information from the cruise line yet and the TA doesn't know.

May have to wait longer until the cruise line comes through with the information.

Thanks again.

SilvertoGold

Get the MULTIPLE entry visa-same dollar amount as single/double entry.

greatam and Winterpegger

You have both brought up interesting and relevant points.

In Canada the Single is $50, the Multiple is $100.

Two years ago it was a Single. So it is a matter of waiting to hear from the cruise line eventually.

Thanks to you both.

SilvertoGold

I've heard that Princess gets the Visa for their passengers. Since I live in a city that has a Vietnamese visa place, is ithere any advantage for for me to get my own visa and not bother with Princess? Thanks for your help and enjoy cruising!:rolleyes:

I've heard that Princess gets the Visa for their passengers. Since I live in a city that has a Vietnamese visa place, is ithere any advantage for for me to get my own visa and not bother with Princess? Thanks for your help and enjoy cruising!:rolleyes:

Are you going on a Princes Excursion? If not, find out when the visa is supposed to be given out. If I was going on a private excursion and needed to be off the ship at 6:00am, I'd take care of it prior to leaving home.

My understanding is that multi-entry visas for China are only available if you have previously visited China, not for first time visitors?? Only single or double entry are available otherwise which is useless if visiting 3 ports?

My understanding is that multi-entry visas for China are only available if you have previously visited China, not for first time visitors?? Only single or double entry are available otherwise which is useless if visiting 3 ports?

I do not know if this applies to other than US citizens, but for US Citizens, multiple entry visas are available without previous China visits, family letters or business authorizations as previously required. The rule was relaxed about 8 months before the Olympics so Olympic visitors had the option of entering China more than twice while they were waiting to see a particular event.

I will add again that rules are interpreted differently at different Consulates in the USA. Los Angeles and San Francisco, with their large Chinese populations, are fairly liberal about giving out multiple entry visas, while the Consulate in Chicago wants the additional documentation.

"Are you going on a Princes Excursion? If not, find out when the visa is supposed to be given out. If I was going on a private excursion and needed to be off the ship at 6:00am, I'd take care of it prior to leaving home. "

Good suggestion! I am planning to do my own private excurstion; so I WILL get the Visas before leaving the US! Thanks again for this GREAT suggestion! :)

• 1 month later...

Yes, we are doing 3-in-a-row Chinese ports in October. Princess informed us that a single-entry is needed, though we had already gotten double-entry, good for 30 days each until Jan 2010. Both cost the same. If we were leaving China & returning a double-entry would be required.

The cost thru Zierer was $439.48 for two of us.

Steve

Get the 6 months, multiple entry visa. Same price ($130 for Americans) as a single entry/double entry. Then you are covered for all situations. IF the ship would have to dodge a typhoon or go outside Chinese territorial waters for whatever reason (North Korea shoots off another missile???), you are also covered. AND as someone who has spent a lot of time in Asia for business, the Chinese tend to make up rules as they go along (as do the Vietnamese and especially the Cambodians). What is gospel in the USA at consulates is NOT always the same when you get to China and deal with Beijing (government). So for the same money, get as many entries as possible.

Do you know the web site with instructions on where to send for the Chinese visa? I was in China before but it was over 10 years ago. Do I do this before getting the one for Cambodia?

Do you know the web site with instructions on where to send for the Chinese visa? I was in China before but it was over 10 years ago. Do I do this before getting the one for Cambodia?

Go to this site to see which city you have to go to or use a visa service for this area:

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/t84229.htm

Private individuals can no longer get a Chinese visa via mail service. You will either need to visit a consulate or use a visa service. HOWEVER, for your particular situation, the Consulate in NYC sends employees to Waltham Mass about every 2 months (or they were in 2008). They only handle visas and Chinese passport renewals/replacements. They ONLY take cash or money orders. MAKE SURE you have all the paperwork, the photos and a PREPAID envelope (Express Mail, FedEx) for return of your passport. Call the NYC Consulate to find out if and when the next time they will be in your area. 212 868 2074

Get the Cambodian visa when you arrive at the airport in Siem Reap. DON'T forget the extra pictures, which may or may not be needed.

Private individuals can no longer get a Chinese visa via mail service. You will either need to visit a consulate or use a visa service. HOWEVER, for your particular situation, the Consulate in NYC sends employees to Waltham Mass about every 2 months (or they were in 2008). They only handle visas and Chinese passport renewals/replacements. They ONLY take cash or money orders. MAKE SURE you have all the paperwork, the photos and a PREPAID envelope (Express Mail, FedEx) for return of your passport. Call the NYC Consulate to find out if and when the next time they will be in your area. 212 868 2074

Get the Cambodian visa when you arrive at the airport in Siem Reap. DON'T forget the extra pictures, which may or may not be needed.

Ok, thanks. But, regarding Cambodia, won't I have a problem with the cruiseline (in this case Azamara) when we arrive in Shihanoukville where they will require me to purchase (something) from them and than I will pay more when I have to get another one from the airport, ie. won't it be cheaper if it's already in my passport? Since we are taking a 12:20pm flight from Siem Reap, it might be safer to show up at the airport with the Visa.

Btw, Brazil was so easy for us. We just walked into the Consulate, and a few days later walked back in to pick up our Visas.

Ok, thanks. But, regarding Cambodia, won't I have a problem with the cruiseline (in this case Azamara) when we arrive in Shihanoukville where they will require me to purchase (something) from them and than I will pay more when I have to get another one from the airport, ie. won't it be cheaper if it's already in my passport? Since we are taking a 12:20pm flight from Siem Reap, it might be safer to show up at the airport with the Visa.

Btw, Brazil was so easy for us. We just walked into the Consulate, and a few days later walked back in to pick up our Visas.

I forgot the ship docks in Cambodia before you get on the plane to Siem Reap. So yes, you MAY have to get the visa before you board the ship. Is the ship visa good for travel in Cambodia or just good for the port, like the Vietnam visas? I would find out FOR SURE or just get a Cambodian visa from a VISA service.

I'm in Phnom Penh now-it is 2:30AM. I had an EXTREMELY hard time getting across the border this morning. Took over 5 hours. Should have been here no later than noon-1PM. Got here at 6:30PM. They were checking for EVERYTHING (luggage inspection, vaccination cards, a whole lot of crap) and a lot of backpackers in front of me DID not have EVERYTHING. 3 or 4 had done the Cambodian online visa, BUT again, some of the visas were NOT endorsed. LOTS of arguing by these kids who don't have much money, think they have already paid for a visa and then find out it is NO GOOD.

Obviously, the Cambodian government has not completely straightened out their website problem which was an issue last year also. There are reports of ANOTHER hacker attack, so maybe that is the problem. I sure don't recommend doing visa online, even though it is SUPPOSED to work. If you go to the Cambodia government website, there is even a "hacker attack" warning (at least using Firefox and high security). Most just paid the money, handed over the picture and got the visa on the spot. But I don't think that is an option for you. Sorry.

http://www.mfaic.gov.kh/index.php

I forgot the ship docks in Cambodia before you get on the plane to Siem Reap. So yes, you MAY have to get the visa before you board the ship. Is the ship visa good for travel in Cambodia or just good for the port, like the Vietnam visas? I would find out FOR SURE or just get a Cambodian visa from a VISA service.

I'm in Phnom Penh now-it is 2:30AM. I had an EXTREMELY hard time getting across the border this morning. Took over 5 hours. Should have been here no later than noon-1PM. Got here at 6:30PM. They were checking for EVERYTHING (luggage inspection, vaccination cards, a whole lot of crap) and a lot of backpackers in front of me DID not have EVERYTHING. 3 or 4 had done the Cambodian online visa, BUT again, some of the visas were NOT endorsed. LOTS of arguing by these kids who don't have much money, think they have already paid for a visa and then find out it is NO GOOD.

Obviously, the Cambodian government has not completely straightened out their website problem which was an issue last year also. There are reports of ANOTHER hacker attack, so maybe that is the problem. I sure don't recommend doing visa online, even though it is SUPPOSED to work. If you go to the Cambodia government website, there is even a "hacker attack" warning (at least using Firefox and high security). Most just paid the money, handed over the picture and got the visa on the spot. But I don't think that is an option for you. Sorry.

http://www.mfaic.gov.kh/index.php

You need to get some sleep :)

When you have a chance hopefully you can answer my other posts...

• 1 month later...

Archived