Cruising Brazil v Santiago to BA

ausbod

We can't make up our minds whether to cruise Veendam from Rio through Brazil to FLL or do the Princess Santiago to Buenos Airesthen on to FLL. Both have lots going for them.

Has anyone done both and if so which do you recommend?

If this is your first South America cruise I recommend cruising Santiago to Buenos Aires. I like the diversity of places that you will see on this itinerary from the diverse and beautiful scenery to the very interesting ports of call.

Keith

Well, we're doing the former, in December. We chose the particular itinerary because it was a good price, at the right time. Also, I've also wanted to see Rio, and my husband, who has been there, has always wanted to go back. So, we'll be there for 3 days before the cruise. But Buenos Aires sounds amazing too, quite different from Rio, safer, and cheaper from what I've heard.

"We can't make up our minds whether to cruise Veendam from Rio through Brazil to FLL or do the Princess Santiago to Buenos Airesthen on to FLL. Both have lots going for them.Has anyone done both and if so which do you recommend? "

OP,

I am not sure what you are asking. I will assume you are not asking about the difference between the HAL ship and the unidentified Princess ship. Are you asking about the difference between cruising Santiago to FLL via Brasil (without porting in Bs As) on the one hand and cruising Santiago to FLL via Bs As ( without porting in Rio) on the other? I haven't checked your proposed cruises, but I would be surprised if you couldn't find a cruise (a B2B option or two separate cruises) that would allow you to port in both BA and Rio en route from Santiago to FLL.

If you are asking about the merits of porting in Rio versus porting in Bs As, as a resident of both cities I can tell you that they are like night and day. Bs As is significantly more sophisitcated, European and right now, a heck of lot cheaper than Rio. On the other hand, Rio has great summer weather and beaches (neither of which Bs As has) and will be a lot gayer and festive.

If you are, in fact, asking about the difference in cruising from Santiago (Valparaiso) to Bs As versus cruising from Rio to FLL you should consider the following.

Whether Aussies will have to pay a Chilean entry fee may depend on whether AU requires Chileans to pay a visa fee. The entry fee is similar to a visa fee. It is good for the life of your passport at the time you acquire it. In any case that expense may not be sufficiently steep to be a determining factor for a relatively major trip.

I have sailed around the horn several times in both directions and I have sailed to Rio from the US and along the northern Brasilian coast of Rio en route to Europe. In my opinion the ports between Valparaiso and Bs As are more interesting than the ports beteen Rio and FLL especially for those who are into nature tourism, scenery and wildlife (i.e. animals not nightlife).

I live in Rio and do not think much of Recife, Salvador, Bahia or any of the northern coast ports in Brasil. I don't know whether the Rio/FLL cruise would stop at any Carib islands , but, again in my opinion, there isn't a lot of interesting things to see and do on the islands unless you are heavy into diving or fishing.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
"We can't make up our minds whether to cruise Veendam from Rio through Brazil to FLL or do the Princess Santiago to Buenos Airesthen on to FLL. Both have lots going for them.Has anyone done both and if so which do you recommend? "

OP,

I am not sure what you are asking. I will assume you are not asking about the difference between the HAL ship and the unidentified Princess ship. Are you asking about the difference between cruising Santiago to FLL via Brasil (without porting in Bs As) on the one hand and cruising Santiago to FLL via Bs As ( without porting in Rio) on the other? I haven't checked your proposed cruises, but I would be surprised if you couldn't find a cruise (a B2B option or two separate cruises) that would allow you to port in both BA and Rio en route from Santiago to FLL.

If you are asking about the merits of porting in Rio versus porting in Bs As, as a resident of both cities I can tell you that they are like night and day. Bs As is significantly more sophisitcated, European and right now, a heck of lot cheaper than Rio. On the other hand, Rio has great summer weather and beaches (neither of which Bs As has) and will be a lot gayer and festive.

If you are, in fact, asking about the difference in cruising from Santiago (Valparaiso) to Bs As versus cruising from Rio to FLL you should consider the following.

Whether Aussies will have to pay a Chilean entry fee may depend on whether AU requires Chileans to pay a visa fee. The entry fee is similar to a visa fee. It is good for the life of your passport at the time you acquire it. In any case that expense may not be sufficiently steep to be a determining factor for a relatively major trip.

I have sailed around the horn several times in both directions and I have sailed to Rio from the US and along the northern Brasilian coast of Rio en route to Europe. In my opinion the ports between Valparaiso and Bs As are more interesting than the ports beteen Rio and FLL especially for those who are into nature tourism, scenery and wildlife (i.e. animals not nightlife).

I live in Rio and do not think much of Recife, Salvador, Bahia or any of the northern coast ports in Brasil. I don't know whether the Rio/FLL cruise would stop at any Carib islands , but, again in my opinion, there isn't a lot of interesting things to see and do on the islands unless you are heavy into diving or fishing.

Hope this helps.

Would you mind talking more about the ports between Valparaiso and BA?

Thanks!

Valparaiso itself is a pretty interesting port. Check out Pablo Neruda's house, the funicular up to Concepcion hill, nearby Vina del Mar resort, and the wineries in the outlying areas.

Puerto Montt is cool for the street market, the restaurants at the nearby fish market, trips to scenic towns and the volcano.

Ushuaia is surprisingly modern for such an out of the way place. Nature tours or walk through the town visiting its small museum or cab to the nearby top of Martial glacier.

Punta Arenas gives access to ecotourism Falklands/Malvinas Is gives access to penguins although I know you have already done that (as would be expected from a 14,000 plus poster).

Montevideo allows for downtown stroll and/or countryside winery tours, in particular, Varela Zarranz winery which I recommend.

Buenas Aires is a world class city which is good for eating, shopping and sight seeing.

Valparaiso itself is a pretty interesting port. Check out Pablo Neruda's house, the funicular up to Concepcion hill, nearby Vina del Mar resort, and the wineries in the outlying areas.

Puerto Montt is cool for the street market, the restaurants at the nearby fish market, trips to scenic towns and the volcano.

Ushuaia is surprisingly modern for such an out of the way place. Nature tours or walk through the town visiting its small museum or cab to the nearby top of Martial glacier.

Punta Arenas gives access to ecotourism Falklands/Malvinas Is gives access to penguins although I know you have already done that (as would be expected from a 14,000 plus poster).

Montevideo allows for downtown stroll and/or countryside winery tours, in particular, Varela Zarranz winery which I recommend.

Buenas Aires is a world class city which is good for eating, shopping and sight seeing.

thanks-

Archived