Don't go to the Infirmary?

kimmariecarr

My mother and Aunt will be sailing 1/7/04 on the Spirit on their first ever cruise. My mom is a little worried about motion sickness and plans on bringing OTC meds with her for this. I had reassured her that if she feels sick and the pills she brings doesn't take care of it for her, she could go see the ship physician for further treatment. However, from what I am reading, I should tell her NOT to go to the ship physician with any complaints regarding motion sickness with nausea / vomitting?

How are they differentiating motion sickness from the GI bug? I doubt there is a lab on board to do cultures......

I would hate to see her ordered to her room for nausea secondary to motion sickness............

Hmmmmmmm.....not sure how I feel about this, but I know that I will not be going to see the ships doctor, even if I do feel sick!

Kim

There is one clear distinction between motion sickness, and virus related illnesses ... diarhea. Also, motion sickness not controlled by traditional OTC methods is usually seen in large numbers when seas are exceptionally rough. Thus, there would be lots of seasickness, lots of passengers complaining about it, and doctors dispensing shots like mad. No quarantine for motion sickness.

I personally am exceptionally susceptible (sp?) to motion sickness, with a long history of vertigo and motion related issues. Every time I cruise I take along an RX for Meclizine, prescribed very commonly. This stuff works like an absolute charm, and even during our "wild ride" last October, I had not even one second of discomfort from those incredible seas. On that voyage I discovered that the same strength Meclizine that I receive at the pharmacy is available in a chewable format right at the Purser's Desk - FREE to all passengers in need.

Perhaps this will help alleviate your fears, and offer an alternative for your mother. Happy sailing!

The title of this post says it all... if you have the norovirus, please, unless you want to put yourself in jail on a cruise ship, don't go to the infirmary. They will confine you to your cabin.

Of course, if you are elderly or otherwise medically unusual, please do go to the ship's doctor. But for most of us, we won't need any medical attention.

That's right... some slob forgot to wash his hands and now you are sick, and confined to your cabin to prevent others from catching your illness.

But you do wash your hands... no matter... you are still confined to your cabin for 3 days.

Gimme a break!

Waldospepper is exactly right about the Meclizine. It works like a charm. I have even seen a basket of it at the pursers desk, just walk up and help yourself. No drowziness to speak of. Works fast, too. I think the only warning is not to use it if you have glaucoma. Also keeping something in your stomach helps, like oatmeal or a muffin.

The title of this post says it all... if you have the norovirus, please, unless you want to put yourself in jail on a cruise ship, don't go to the infirmary. They will confine you to your cabin.

That's right... some slob forgot to wash his hands and now you are sick, and confined to your cabin to prevent others from catching your illness.

But you do wash your hands... no matter... you are still confined to your cabin for 3 days.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not but if you're serious then you're advising to not go to the doctor if you feel sick and it's not motion sickness? You should continue to infect the ship?

When did this quarantine procedure begin? Or has it always been in place on certain carriers? Just wondering…because we were on a Disney sailing in 00’, and 'experienced' a major outbreak…but none of this took place.

Again….just wondering.

• 2 months later...

With older passengers traveling, it would be wise to ask this question of their own doctor before the cruise and bring a medicine that they can tolerate with existing meds. This way there will be no conflict with different chemicals in the delicate system of the elderly. I am travelling on the Dawn with my 90 year old aunt and will follow this plan. Better safe than sorry. Their own physician will know what is best to be prepared for. Hope they have a great sail.

Archived