Fiumicino airport to Civitavecchia--

ladylemondrop

Hi there - we did a cruise with Celebrity leaving from Civitavecchia in November 2006, maybe things have changed since then. But we caught a taxi from the airport to the train station, and then took the train. The train ride was around 45 minutes to an hour from memory. Once there, it is a short walk (5 minutes) down hill to the dock, or a 1 minute taxi ride. The port is huge and you can't just walk to the ship, so you then have to wait for the bus with your cruise line showing in the window and it takes you right to your ship.

The train station at that time did not have escalators or lifts, and you had to walk up and down stairs to get to and from the platform. After our cruise we were all waiting for the train and had been told which platform to go to. Then suddenly the platform changed and everyone was trying to drag their heavy bags down a staircase and up another to get to the new platform. My husband and I were in our 30's so we helped a lot of older people with their bags. Just something to be aware of if it has not changed.

As of last October, this was still the case. I would make arrangements with a private transfer service and see if you can share with someone on your roll call, which is what we did.

Yes the train is the cheapest way to get to the port, but for me, after flying so long I don't want to mess with a train. Especially dragging luggage and carry on's bags for 15 to 20 minutes from the train station to the shuttle at the port. Unless you are young and fit, or pack very light, I hire a driver. Costs from 120 to 130 Euros. If you search around, you can find cheaper transfers.

Hi, we arrive in Rome Fiumicino around 10:30am on 18th Sept, does anyone know the cheapest most reliable way to get to the port - are there shuttle buses etc or do we need to book a transfer with a taxi firm?

1.The RCI transfers are £56pp one way / £92.00pp return

2.The train is €13 into Roma Termini and then €9 down to Civitavecchia and then a simple 10 min stroll along the waterfront to the port walls where there is a free transfer bus to the port

This site is of great use if you plan to take the train: http://www.ftroute.com/ItalianTrains.htm

3. Zelit limousine is highly recommended on these boards - they quoted me €130 for 4 people for a private car

Thanks to all, I am definately not going to take a train, I have two children and big suitcases with me!! Was just interested to hear if there were any shuttle buses, I had heard a rumour that there was to be a regular service operating at 50 euros one way...? I think we will probably pre book a private transfer to be on safe side.

As I recall, cruise lines charge the same price for children as adults for transfers. So a private driver is a better way to go even with just two people. Plus if you take a ships transfers, you may get stuck at the airport waiting for more arriving passengers that are needed to fill a bus. If you check the Mediterranean forum you will find lots of info on transfers. I am using RomeCabs.

Archived