Legend 7/5-7/12 Mega review with lots of pictures!

I am glad you reviewed your stingray excursion with Moby Dick. If you had to do it again would you have gone with that company? I was considering this and was disappointed to hear you say there was 45 on your tour. I thought it would be much smaller.

Thanks

I am glad you reviewed your stingray excursion with Moby Dick. If you had to do it again would you have gone with that company? I was considering this and was disappointed to hear you say there was 45 on your tour. I thought it would be much smaller.

Thanks

I would use them again in an instant! :D It might seem like a big number, but once you're there, people tend to spread out and it's really not crowded. As far as I could tell, most of the boats (not Carnival) had around that many people or more. Although the boat itself was smaller than I would have liked, once we were on the water, we could get up and move around some, so it worked just fine.

Toward the end of our time with the rays, more ships had arrived and their people were mingling with our tour group; however, like I said, we were among the first to arrive, so we had plenty of uncrowded interaction time.

Also, these were some of the most organized, professional people to work with. I sent my email reservation and heard back around an hour later. A question I asked the following month was replied to in twenty minutes. And they really seem to love teaching people all about the rays. They even have nicknames for all of them. Me, I could only tell you one ray was bigger or smaller than the next. :p

Hope this helps!

I knew from reading about Carnival earlier, that there was no single buffet line, but I had it in my head how Adventure of the Seas had been laid out. Upon first glance around the Lido, I thought we were in the wrong place. Once I realized the Lido was divided into many "stations," each offering a different choice, it started to make sense again. The smaller tables and booths were a pleasant change also from the huge tables on RCI, and most seemed to offer a nice view out the windows. I liked the overall setup much better, but it took some getting used to at first.

Can you tell me more about the 'stations' and layout of the Lido? Are the food stations in one big area like a cafeteria or are they spread all over the Lido deck between pools or on the other side of the pools? DH and I were on the Carnival Inspiration and Sensation a few years ago and we only saw a food line with stuff like hamburgers, hot dogs, and fries. Is it possible we missed the other food stations? I will be on the Legend in a couple months. Thank You.

Can you tell me more about the 'stations' and layout of the Lido? Are the food stations in one big area like a cafeteria or are they spread all over the Lido deck between pools or on the other side of the pools? DH and I were on the Carnival Inspiration and Sensation a few years ago and we only saw a food line with stuff like hamburgers, hot dogs, and fries. Is it possible we missed the other food stations? I will be on the Legend in a couple months. Thank You.

Let me see if I can clarify. The Lido covered the back 1/3 maybe of Deck 9. At the absolute rear of the ship was the Unicorn Pool, the adults only pool. This was open to the sky, mostly, and had a bar area, hamburgers/tacos/chix fingers, etc. type of food station.

As you headed toward the front of the ship, you came into the Unicorn Cafe, the air conditioned part of the Lido. It stretched from one side of the ship to the other (left to right.) In here, I think I remember about 8 different small stations - maybe 7-8 tray lengths long each - spread out near the perimeters, with walkways and booths around the outer perimeter and tables, drink areas and a dessert area more in the middle. I remember a deli station (reubens! :)), pizza, a salad bar area, a fresh fruit area, an Asian food area, and an area where they would offer a different theme (ie - Caribbean food) daily.

On the other side of the Unicorn Cafe, back out into the open air, were the other two pools, another bar area, and another hamburger area. Hopefully this makes sense!!

It did take awhile to get used to where everything was! Several times I needed to consciously remind myself on of which side of the ship we had gotten a table. Also, whether it was toward the front or rear of the Unicorn Cafe. Then I had to look out the window to see which way the water seemed to be moving and how I was facing, front or back! :p

The next morning, our day in Cozumel, I again caught some pictures of a beautiful sunrise. However, far in the distance it appeared to be raining. Not good!

58cozumeljuly095.jpg

Since we docked today, we didn't quite feel the need to rush, and took our time watching the ship come into port.

58acozumeljuly0916.jpg

Our excursions from this point on were with Carnival, and with one exception (not their fault) went really well. Today we had scheduled a SeaTrek helmet dive. This was the excursion that most worried Mandy. In essence, they stick a huge 70 lb. (we learned the weight later!) helmet on your head and send you down 20 feet to play with the fishies. Tim only weighs 93 pounds soaking wet! Seriously, even Jon and I were getting nervous after seeing all the waivers we had to sign and initial off on - you know, they're not liable if you sufer an aneurism, etc, etc.

Well, we took a 15 min bus ride to the site, were given lockers and keys, told to change and then got instructions on how this all worked. Then, when we were all totally committed, they showed us the instruments of torture . . . er, the helmets.

59underwaterhelmettrekjuly0980.jpg

You begin your descent down through the water, holding onto a ladder. Then they pop the helmet on you and down you go!

new60underwaterhelmettrekjuly09.jpg

Once you actually start breathing again - and they stress making sure you DON'T hold your breath - you are in a wonderful and fascinating

underwater world. I thought nothing could beat snorkeling! I'm sure it doesn't hold a candle to scuba, but I don't scuba so this was very cool to me! We all had a blast.

Right before we entered the water, I realized that I couldn't remember how deep my waterproof carmera was rated for. Since my pictures came out just fine, I'm going to figure it's at least 20 feet!

new61underwaterhelmettrekjuly095.jpg

Take me to your leader!

new61aunderwaterhelmettrekjuly0930.jpg

new65underwaterhelmettrekjuly0925.jpg

new62underwaterhelmettrekjuly0914.jpg

new64underwaterhelmettrekjuly0920.jpg

new63underwaterhelmettrekjuly0918.jpg

new63aunderwaterhelmettrekjuly0940.jpg

We were underwater for about 25 minutes.

Then when Jon was buying the photo cd - it included movie footage of us and I'm never one to take chances with photos - I snuck over to shop Margaritaville Cozumel right next door. (3 down and counting!) never even thought to snap my own pictures of the outside of the building, so I'm using the one Mandy took with her camera. Good thinking, kid! (Got 'em brainwashed when it comes to Jimmy)

65akidscameracarnivalcruisejuly0932.jpg

We were dropped back off at the port, before we thought to look at our map and realized we could have walked into town from where we had been. Oh, well, lesson learned.

By now, our wet Carnival towels were getting pretty heavy in our backpacks, so we decided we need to sit down for lunch. As we were debating between Mexican food in port, or the Lido deck of our very handily parked nearby ship, it started to rain. It was brief, only about 10 min, and fortunately there was a convenient gift shop nearby.

66cozumeljuly0922.jpg

Tim was edging toward cranky now, one of the few times this trip, so when the rain stopped we ended up going back onboard for lunch. Upside - no cost for food! While walking back, we could see that Imagination was now docked next to us.

67cozumeljuly0932.jpg

Sure, I'll help you Tim.

68cozumeljuly0938.jpg

Ooooh, my hair!

68acozumeljuly0939.jpg

Tim loved it that he could see Imagination's water slide from our Lido Deck. He thought it was better than the Legend's. We had to get a table by the window for lunch.

69cozumeljuly0947.jpg

Today we had scheduled a SeaTrek helmet dive.

Great review and great pics. Thanks so much for posting the pics of your SeaTrek helmet dive. I'm booked for this in Grand Cayman when I take my Legend cruise in October. Looking at the pics made me even more excited than I already was. :)

The guys opted to remain on board again in the afternoon, while Mandy and I bravely ventured forth to try our hand at more shopping in port. As we were going down to Deck 1 to exit, we passed through an area of Deck 2 near Satchamo's that was completely deserted. Actually, much of Deck 2 was empty. No surprise there, but it gave me a wonderful opportunity for more photos.

70cozumeljuly0953.jpg

71cozumeljuly0952.jpg

72cozumeljuly0955.jpg

By now, the sun was back out and the heat and humidity were on the rise. For the next hour or two, we shopped and admired the flower garden nearby.

72bkidscameracarnivalcruisejuly0936.jpg

72akidscameracarnivalcruisejuly0936.jpg

72ccozumeljuly0969.jpg

We watched sailaway again from our balcony.

76cozumeljuly09100.jpg

Watching Enchantment of the Seas (RCL) recede into the distance.

75cozumeljuly0994.jpg

77acozumeljuly09105.jpg

77cozumeljuly09103.jpg

Then it was nap time again. I realized early on that if we were to have pleasant suppers that late at night and calm children during the day, we all needed some down time each afternoon. At first, the kids resisted but after conking out the minute their heads hit the pillows and sleeping for an hour and a half the first time after GC, they knew it too.

Both kids had club plans that night, including Tim's eating "Dinner with your Friends," so we nibbled with Mandy on the Lido ahead of time and then had a quiet supper for two in the dining room. Well, as quiet as Carnival lets the meal get. Entertainment was a conga line tonight.

78cozumeljuly09124.jpg

We again dined well.

Asparagus vichyssoise - LOVED those soups!

79cozumeljuly09116.jpg

Grilled filet mignon

80cozumeljuly09117.jpg

Old fashioned apple pie

81cozumeljuly09127.jpg

The only thing I didn't much care for this night was the diet pumpkin pie. The presentation was nicely done, but unfortunately it had a weak pumpkin taste and was overly sweet. I just went with some sherbet and coffee.

82cozumeljuly09130.jpg

The kids each got back at different times from their camps, so I had to take a picture of Mr. Towel Animal all by himself tonight. (looked like a turtle)

83cozumeljuly09131.jpg

Great review and great pics. Thanks so much for posting the pics of your SeaTrek helmet dive. I'm booked for this in Grand Cayman when I take my Legend cruise in October. Looking at the pics made me even more excited than I already was. :)

Thanks - glad you liked them! It's so much easier to explain with pictures! It really was an awesome experience. We seemed to have so many this trip!

-cathy

Just wanted to tell you again what an awesome review you are doing! Heading out of town for the weekend but I'll be looking for more when I get home. :D

You have a beautiful family. Can't wait to see what ya'll do in Belize and Roatan.

Let me see if I can clarify. The Lido covered the back 1/3 maybe of Deck 9. At the absolute rear of the ship was the Unicorn Pool, the adults only pool. This was open to the sky, mostly, and had a bar area, hamburgers/tacos/chix fingers, etc. type of food station.

As you headed toward the front of the ship, you came into the Unicorn Cafe, the air conditioned part of the Lido. It stretched from one side of the ship to the other (left to right.) In here, I think I remember about 8 different small stations - maybe 7-8 tray lengths long each - spread out near the perimeters, with walkways and booths around the outer perimeter and tables, drink areas and a dessert area more in the middle. I remember a deli station (reubens! :)), pizza, a salad bar area, a fresh fruit area, an Asian food area, and an area where they would offer a different theme (ie - Caribbean food) daily.

On the other side of the Unicorn Cafe, back out into the open air, were the other two pools, another bar area, and another hamburger area. Hopefully this makes sense!!

It did take awhile to get used to where everything was! Several times I needed to consciously remind myself on of which side of the ship we had gotten a table. Also, whether it was toward the front or rear of the Unicorn Cafe. Then I had to look out the window to see which way the water seemed to be moving and how I was facing, front or back! :p

Thank you very much. I think I got the idea now. I always wondered about this layout when I read Legend reviews, but never asked until now. I'm looking forward to sailing the Legend with my sister in September. Great review!

Hi. I am taking the Legend cruise on 8/9 and was concerned with what to wear on some of the excursions. We are doing the Stingray City in Grand Caymon, Snorkeling in Cozumel, Lost World Canopy in Belize and Pirates, Parrots and Monkeys in Isla Roatan. Will we need to take our passports with us? What is the best way to carry all of our belongings? Should we have a waterproof pouch or will a backpack do? Do they have lockers we can put our stuff in? Should we wear bathing suits or carry them with us?

Thanks.

Thanks so much for posting your review and pictures. I am sailing on the Legend Nov. 8th and getting married on the ship on embarkation day. Never been on the Legend before and I am very excited about since I have heard great things about the Legend. You family appeared to have really enjoyed themselves.

Greetings..

Great review we are going on Oct.25th...I have never done a helmet dive and it lots great. How does the helmet attach to keep out the water? I'm not great at snorkeling, so this might be an alternative, without drinking the sea water.

We were thinking of shopping downtown afterwards...is it walking distance back to the ship...

Thanks

Greetings..

Great review we are going on Oct.25th...I have never done a helmet dive and it lots great. How does the helmet attach to keep out the water? I'm not great at snorkeling, so this might be an alternative, without drinking the sea water.

We were thinking of shopping downtown afterwards...is it walking distance back to the ship...

Thanks

I haven't done this excursion yet. I'll be trying it for the first time in October. I'm sure the OP can answer this question for us.:)

Archived