Legend 7/5-7/12 Mega review with lots of pictures!

Thank you very much. I think I got the idea now. I always wondered about this layout when I read Legend reviews, but never asked until now. I'm looking forward to sailing the Legend with my sister in September. Great review!

Here is link to the Lido Deck Plan. A picture to match the words. :D

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Carnival/legend.php

Unfortunately, the drier weather didn't last. There is a reason they call it a RAIN forest, and this time of year was the beginning of the rainy season. While it certainly wasn't Carnival's fault, this was turning out to be my least favorite excursion. Much to my relief, the kids took it all in stride, making "rain" forest jokes most of the way down that reeeeallllly loooooong river.

96baltunhaandriverwallacejuly0939.jpg

96aaltunhaandriverwallacejuly0945.jpg

It's a good thing we had our swimsuits on under our clothes, because the ponchos they handed out did little to keep out the rain. We used them more to keep our one camera and backpacks dry. Of course, as we pulled back out into the bay toward the end of the boat ride, the rain slowed down. When we reached the dock, it stopped. Sigh. None of us felt much like shopping at that point, and there weren't very many stores to choose from, so we tendered back to our ship.

belizejuly0992.jpg

The ride back was a very rough one, with the tender bouncing very hard through the waves. Many times, we were actually lifted up off our seats and then crashed down again. Must have been the prior bad weather. At least we weren't prone to seasickness!

Once back on board, the kids decided a "light" snack was in order.

97belizejuly0993.jpg

We even managed to get in a round of mini golf before sailaway. At that point, there was quite a wind kicking up and a par 4 usually turned into a par 8 or 9. The kids had fun, though.

99belizejuly0998.jpg

98belizejuly0996.jpg

Again, we had a great meal that night.

Fried mozerella with mixed greens.

100belizejuly09113.jpg

Farfalle with roast turkey breast and green peas

belizejuly09117.jpg

Grilled salmon

belizejuly09118.jpg

Assorted seafood newburgh style

belizejuly09119.jpg

Although our towel animal was cute, we really couldn't come to a consensus as to what it might be.

102belizejuly09122.jpg

It's a dinosaur! (I bought the book after the class they offered, and make them for my nieces and nephew when they sleep over.)

Great job on the review! Only 82 days to my next cruise, not on the Legend:(, but on the Freedom. Keep up the great work!

I am glad you reviewed your stingray excursion with Moby Dick. If you had to do it again would you have gone with that company? I was considering this and was disappointed to hear you say there was 45 on your tour. I thought it would be much smaller.

Thanks

We used Moby Dick and had maybe 20 people on the boat. It was wonderful. This was in July. We snorkeled first because there were to many people at stingray city. Can't say enough about this company.

We are booked on our first cruise in October on the Legend and am loving your review.

I was curious about the Alta Hun and River Wallace tour I know you said it rained on you but did you enjoy the ruins part of the tour and was the river experience other than the rain worth it. What all did it involve (seeing that is) any more pictures of this tour.

Hi, we are almost neighbors we are not far from Pottstown, maybe an hour.

Yep, I know where that is! If I'm not mistaken, you're actually close to my parents. They live near Scranton. Small world!

The under water helmet dive can you talk or hear any one talk in the helmets.

Not really. A little muffled noise, but we relied on gestures for the most part.

One more thing go Steelers!!!

Darn right! :D

And don't forget the Pens, too! City of Champions (ok, except for them Pirates:( It's another rebuilding year . . . ?)

I know that scraphappy said that they take laminated copies of their passports. But if you should have a problem and not make it back to the ship you will need your passport to fly to the next port or home. A copy will not work.

I hear what you're saying and I think we can agree to disagree on this one! (I know there's certainly enough threads out there that debate the pros and cons.) Really quickly: My way of looking at it is that while it's certainly not the real thing, it'll at least help more in getting you out of the country than if you didn't have anything at all (based on a friend's experience awhile back). I'm much more worried about taking along such a valuable document and losing it, than I am about missing the ship. Just a question of what worries you more, I guess! :p

I was just wondering if you had the capers? :)

Of course I do! I scrapbook, therefore I save EVERYTHING! Were you looking for a certain one, or just an example?

It's a dinosaur! (I bought the book after the class they offered, and make them for my nieces and nephew when they sleep over.)

Ah, now it makes sense!! Never saw one before - thanks for the clarification! Now I can journal in my scrapbook with confidence!

Thank you for the great review and pictures?

Where is the laundromat on the Legend? Thanks

You're welcome! I love doing it. Not sure where the other laundromats are located, but there was one on our deck, across from room #7267. (Jotted that little tidbit down before we left, after reading it on an older post.) Glad to pass it along!

We are booked on our first cruise in October on the Legend and am loving your review.

I was curious about the Alta Hun and River Wallace tour I know you said it rained on you but did you enjoy the ruins part of the tour and was the river experience other than the rain worth it. What all did it involve (seeing that is) any more pictures of this tour.

Thanks! I certainly thought it was worth it. Being a closet archeologist (National Geographic is a favorite), I was thrilled to see actual Mayan ruins and learn more about the culture! I, too, was disappointed we didn't get to go to the tops of some of the structures.

I really can't say how the river ride might have otherwise turned out, but it was an experience none of my family will soon forget, that's for sure. I will say that we had an exceptionally knowledgeable and funny guide, so I'm guessing it would have been great. Maybe you'll be able to find something on it in the ports of call/belize section!

ahh loving the review. cant wait for more. I am on the legend come oct 18 with a small group. i have everything plan but cozumel. we want to snorkle there . what company did you use for cozumel. or did you go through carnival. Keep up the great work . I am glad the kids had a great time.

Steph

I have photos of all the different stations for lunch on the lido from the 6-28-09 t0 7-5-09 sailing at http://www.ronrythm.com/Legend091.html Lido photos start near the bottom and go to the second page. I started taking photos at the aft starboard area and worked my way forward.

Enjoy

Ron

Great pictures Ron! Thanks.

I was just wondering if you had the capers? :)

The link that Ron provided, http://www.ronrythm.com/Legend091.html , has all the Capers in pdf format so you can save them to your computer if you want or just view them there. Go to the bottom of the page and keep going to the next page until you see the Capers. It is about the 3rd page.

Again, thanks Ron for the pics and capers.

Scrappy-I also am very much enjoying your review-I will be on the Legend this October as well, with Jim and Steph! Thank you for all the wonderful pics and insight!

I had asked this question on my group thread earlier, but I think I found the answer with your pics-it looks like there is no MUTS screen on the Lido deck-not that that is a bad thing-just kind of surprised! Was there a Band on the Lido deck?

Thank you for the great review and pictures?

Where is the laundromat on the Legend? Thanks

I just posted the deck plan they give you on the ship. On Deck Plan 2 the laundry rooms are indicated by a square with a circle in it.

Just a note about Belize to go along with this great review. The people I talked to were all very proud of their country and especially such things as the literacy rate. They were upset by the high unemployment, but all of them were optomistic. Very nice and I truly enjoyed talking with them.

A note for clgcruiser, no MUTS yet. The calypso duo performs primarily out there but in the afternoon some of the other performers work there too. Jeff from the Piano Bar and George from the area just outside the dining room did a fantastic set with a lot of Beach Boys tunes one sail away.

Enjoy

Ron

Sorry to interrupt again.:o I should write my own review, but traveling single, my experiences are so different from most people's it, wouldn't be too useful.

You're welcome! I love doing it. Not sure where the other laundromats are located, but there was one on our deck, across from room #7267. (Jotted that little tidbit down before we left, after reading it on an older post.) Glad to pass it along!

Thank you for the reply . Another questions. I read about the hidden places on the ship where you can be secluded and it is not so crowded. . Does Legend have them as well?

Thanks

I just wanted to thank you for all the great pictures of the ship and your experiences on your cruise. My mother and I are taking the Carnival Legend on 25 October and are so looking forward to our room with a balcony. We have an extended balcony, so I am curious as to how much bigger it will be from a standard one. Never the less, we are excited about the cruise.

Thanks! I certainly thought it was worth it. Being a closet archeologist (National Geographic is a favorite), I was thrilled to see actual Mayan ruins and learn more about the culture! I, too, was disappointed we didn't get to go to the tops of some of the structures.

I really can't say how the river ride might have otherwise turned out, but it was an experience none of my family will soon forget, that's for sure. I will say that we had an exceptionally knowledgeable and funny guide, so I'm guessing it would have been great. Maybe you'll be able to find something on it in the ports of call/belize section!

Thank you for all the great pictures of your cruise and experiences. My mother and I are taking the Carnival Legend at the end of October and are so looking forward to our cabin with an extended balcony.

We used Moby Dick Tours last October and I would recommend them also. I think we only had about 25-30 people on our boat also. They also took us to do the snorkeling first then over to stingray city. It is only about 3 minutes (by boat) from where you snorkle to where the stingrays are.

Fabulous review :)!! And I really appreciate the time it takes to write such a monster review. I'm the same way... I can't bring myself to leave out all the details when I'm journaling our adventures!

On our Liberty cruise this past May we booked the stingrays with Moby Dick and Altun Ha for Belize. And I share your opinions on both. Although we did at least get to climb the ruins- I'm sorry your kids didn't get that opportunity.

I can't wait to read the rest!

ahh loving the review. cant wait for more. I am on the legend come oct 18 with a small group. i have everything plan but cozumel. we want to snorkle there . what company did you use for cozumel. or did you go through carnival. Keep up the great work . I am glad the kids had a great time.

Steph

For Cozumel, we used Carnival, since I couldn't seem to find any independent sea trek operators. Kids had a blast . . . now, they too are addicted to cruising!

Did you go into margaritaville in cozumel. I have been to the one in Ocho Rios. Wondering if it is as nice.

Someone told me the Cozumel one's pretty new. Personally, though, i only saw the bar area and the shop, but what I saw seemed pretty nice!

I just posted the deck plan they give you on the ship. On Deck Plan 2 the laundry rooms are indicated by a square with a circle in it.

Just a note about Belize to go along with this great review. The people I talked to were all very proud of their country and especially such things as the literacy rate. They were upset by the high unemployment, but all of them were optomistic. Very nice and I truly enjoyed talking with them.

A note for clgcruiser, no MUTS yet. The calypso duo performs primarily out there but in the afternoon some of the other performers work there too. Jeff from the Piano Bar and George from the area just outside the dining room did a fantastic set with a lot of Beach Boys tunes one sail away.

Enjoy

Ron

Sorry to interrupt again.:o I should write my own review, but traveling single, my experiences are so different from most people's it, wouldn't be too useful.

Thanks for your continuing input, links, etc. Ron! Feel free to "interrupt" anytime. :D

While I didn't much like the country itself, i agree the people of Belize I talked to were wonderful. I already explained how great our guide was, but also while we were at the Black Orchid, we spent some time talking to Elvis and Fiona Samuels, who make and sell beautiful carvings from Belize's zericote tree. (bought one of his gorgeous manta ray carvings) They, too, seemed very proud of their country. Didn't mean to come across so negative if I did. The weather probably had me grouchy that day!

And if it was George I listened to several times before going in to dinner, I have to agree. Each time, the whole crowd of us walked into the dining room still singing along with him!

Thank you for the reply . Another questions. I read about the hidden places on the ship where you can be secluded and it is not so crowded. . Does Legend have them as well?

Thanks

Didn't find any specific ones, say up in the front of the ship or anything, but much of the time, the Enchanted Forest was empty and provided a quiet place to sit and talk or just watch the waves. Others were nice at certain times of day - we were on Deck 12, above the Golden Fleece right before our late seating one night, and it was pretty much deserted. It seems like the time from 5-8 pmish is good to find these, as people are either in supper or getting ready for late supper. Good luck!

Our last port on this trip was Roatan, and it was by far our favorite of the whole trip. Since I had mistakenly thought our excursion began at 8 am, when in reality it was for 9am, we had again gotten up early. So, after a quick breakfast, we now had quite a while to wander around, watching the sun rise and the ship dock.

103roatanjuly096.jpg

103aroatanjuly092.jpg

104roatanjuly098.jpg

Taxis getting ready for the onslaught of passengers.

103croatanjuly0925.jpg

103broatanjuly0913.jpg

Archived