Private tour in cabo..where would you go?

Arizona Laura

We are booking through Cabo San Lucas Tours for a private tour.

Is it worth driving to San Jose Del Cabo? What highlights are there? Is the drive pretty scenic?

What sights are a must in Cabo? Since we can put together our own 6 hr itinerary would love any recommendations you could share.

Thanks

Laura

Stop by the Finnesterra for the view, then Medano beach for a cool drink and the view, then the hidden roadhouse 22 for a history lesson in cabo fishing and development pictures, and then few more world class resorts. Los Cabos is just ok, we had fun at a street taco stand with the locals last time.

Finesterra

IMG_5350-1.jpg

Medano Beach

IMG_5347.jpg

IMG_1073.jpg

Roadhouse (hidden on purpose by wealthy marlin fishermen, a real challenge to find it on your own)

IMG_1727.jpg

IMG_1708.jpg

World Class resorts

IMG_7636.jpg

Continue touring the world class resorts

IMG_7537.jpg

IMG_1412-1.jpg

Then head back to town to see some sights

IMG_1794.jpg

Stop by and have a cool drink at a famous Cantina, and then head out and

IMAG0050.jpg

visit the mountain top for the cruise ship races

IMG_1149.jpg

and then relax and view the famous lovers beach and arch from back on board

IMG_7230.jpg

Oops, almost forgot, you may want to try to slip in a relaxing catamaran bay cruise, but beware of the whistle blowing, shot glass bearing, crew members. They can create quite a stir. (that honey jug style tequila is for sale for sale in town $2/litre)

IMAG0037.jpg

IMAG0038-1.jpg

Laura, we took a private tour with Cabo San Lucas tours on our last visit to Los Cabos and we headed for San Jose del Cabo. It is a very picturesque drive. You'll pass many resorts and golf courses along the way. On our way there, we stopped at two lovely beaches for photo op's (but, if you like, you could spend some time here swimming). Once there, we let our driver know how long we wanted to spend there, and he let us know where to meet up with him. We really liked the atmosphere of San Jose del Cabo much more than that of Cabo San Lucas, as it is much quieter and less frenetic. Also, we had been to Cabo twice before, so we were ready for something different. After visiting the cathedral and shopping a bit, we had a very nice lunch at a recommended restaurant, and then met back up with our driver. On the way back to Cabo, he stopped at a convenience store, at our request, so that we could get some sodas to carry back onboard.

Thanks bobnsofi and rjscott.

What resorts and what restauants did you visit?

Appreciate the input.

Is that glass blowing factory worth visiting?

Any great areas for shopping? Not just flea market type items but really worth it?

Appreciate the time you took to reply for me.

Laura

With a 6 hour block you could visit Todos Santos (north of Cabo). It is a smaller town than San Jose del Cabo and it is a Pacific coastal drive vice the Sea Of Cortez. For the purposes of a scenic drive, I think the drive to Todos Santos is much nicer. The drive from Cabo to San Jose del Cabo (along "The Corridor") is fairly flat, and also fairly well developed with resorts all along the way. The drive from Cabo to Todos Santos is more of an up and down small hills so the views you get are more scenic (rounding a corner to see the Pacifc Ocean and completely isolated beaches). There is virtually no development along this route. There are a few, but nothing like along "The Corridor".

The drive to Todos Santos is further. It could easily eat up an hour or more each way. Info regarding Todos Santos - It is a small Mexican town (popular with surfers who populate the nearby beaches). It is starting to establish an identity as an artists colony with small studios, galleries, etc. It is home to the "Hotel California" which people like to attribute to the Eagles famous song but the writer of the song has disavowed any connection. Still, it's an interesting hotel.

Here is a link to pictures I've taken in Todos Santos, we've been there several times because we own a timeshare in Cabo.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/560930017XhBMgQ

If this is something that interests you then I can provide further info (things to do, places to stop. places to eat, etc).

San Jose is a good trip as well and you might not feel as rushed with that itinerary, but I think Todos Santos is a great choice. We certainly love going there.

Laura, we ate at the Tropicana Restaurant. The setting and the food were both great. There were some very nice shops there, not flea market-type shops, but good quality jewelry and pottery shops. As far as the glass factory in Cabo: We had visited the glass factory on a previous cruise and enjoyed it. They do a nice job of entertaining the visitors with hand-blowing a few pieces of glassware, and then you have time to shop for glassware made there on the premises. I like that all the glassware made there is made from recycled glass.

With a 6 hour block you could visit Todos Santos (north of Cabo). It is a smaller town than San Jose del Cabo and it is a Pacific coastal drive vice the Sea Of Cortez. For the purposes of a scenic drive, I think the drive to Todos Santos is much nicer. The drive from Cabo to San Jose del Cabo (along "The Corridor") is fairly flat, and also fairly well developed with resorts all along the way. The drive from Cabo to Todos Santos is more of an up and down small hills so the views you get are more scenic (rounding a corner to see the Pacifc Ocean and completely isolated beaches). There is virtually no development along this route. There are a few, but nothing like along "The Corridor".

The drive to Todos Santos is further. It could easily eat up an hour or more each way. Info regarding Todos Santos - It is a small Mexican town (popular with surfers who populate the nearby beaches). It is starting to establish an identity as an artists colony with small studios, galleries, etc. It is home to the "Hotel California" which people like to attribute to the Eagles famous song but the writer of the song has disavowed any connection. Still, it's an interesting hotel.

Here is a link to pictures I've taken in Todos Santos, we've been there several times because we own a timeshare in Cabo.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/560930017XhBMgQ

If this is something that interests you then I can provide further info (things to do, places to stop. places to eat, etc).

San Jose is a good trip as well and you might not feel as rushed with that itinerary, but I think Todos Santos is a great choice. We certainly love going there.

Cannot go that far with the tour, so Todos Santos not an option.

I am going back to Cabo on 2 more cruises so may go on the ship tour.

Enjoyed the pics.

I had seen the ArtN Beer website. I think that is about 45 mins out of Cabo and Todos Santos 60 mins if I remember correctly.

Any suggestions you have are very appreciated.

Thanks.

Laura

Laura, we ate at the Tropicana Restaurant. The setting and the food were both great. There were some very nice shops there, not flea market-type shops, but good quality jewelry and pottery shops. As far as the glass factory in Cabo: We had visited the glass factory on a previous cruise and enjoyed it. They do a nice job of entertaining the visitors with hand-blowing a few pieces of glassware, and then you have time to shop for glassware made there on the premises. I like that all the glassware made there is made from recycled glass.

I think we will leave the glass factory on our itinerary.

Will check out with the others about the Tropicana restaurant. Thanks so much. Laura

I will be with Laura on her tour and I also want to thank everyone for the input. I think I would definetly like to go to San Jose del Cabo. I love artist galleries and would like to purchase some handcrafts and/or pottery if we have time. I think the glass blowing factory is a must. Seeing some of the finer resorts would be fun, too.

The link to the restaurant menu made me hungry. Who's going to share the seafood platter with me?:D Yum!

I will be with Laura on her tour and I also want to thank everyone for the input. I think I would definetly like to go to San Jose del Cabo. I love artist galleries and would like to purchase some handcrafts and/or pottery if we have time. I think the glass blowing factory is a must. Seeing some of the finer resorts would be fun, too.

The link to the restaurant menu made me hungry. Who's going to share the seafood platter with me?:D Yum!

Ginny...Looks like we have 2 definites on our itinerary.

San Jose del Cabo and the glass factory.

I would like to look at the pottery/handcrafts also.

The restaurant looks pretty nice.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Sounds good to me.

Laura

Thanks for the pics. We'll be visiting in Cabo in Sept. In one of your pics, I noticed the "vesper" like bike you were riding. Did you rent for the day in Cabo or along the visit? Thanks for the info, Jim

Scooters in Cabo, up the steep street behind Medano Beach.

hopefully golf carts will be available soon in Cabo, golf carts are available in PV and Mazatlan cruise terminals.

Cabo Experts,

CABO GOLF CART RENTALS YET??

SDPadreFan

Me thinks that Tomas Spangler needs competition at the Tesoro. Your photos are very good.

Thank You. It's not always having the fanciest, most expensive camera out there but having a "good" camera and knowing what it is capable of. If you want to just "point and shoot", you are always going to be somewhat disappointed in the results. If you take the time to learn about shutter priority, aperture priority, full manual, ISO speed, and depth of field to name just a few elements, then you will be much happier with the results.

Fancy camera's in the hands of a basic tourist almost always yields just average to poor photo's, while a good camera, in the hands of someone who has taken the time to learn a little about photography, will generally result in (at least some) excellent to outstanding photos.

I purchased a dSLR a couple of months ago and I went wow. The P, S, and A features are just great. The change in technology is breath taking from my last SLR.

My days go back to the Kodak 35 and the Sunny rule of 16.

My apologies to Arizona Laura for changing the topic.

San Jose Del Cabo is our favourite place in MR.

The side walk restaurant called Tropicana is the best food we had in restaurants on six ports on our ten day cruise....and that is saying a lot because we had some great food in both Loreto and El Fuerte!

The Tropicana is also a boutique hotel that we are planning spending two weeks at next Spring.

The shopping in San Jose is far superior to anything we have found in Cabo...except for the glass factory where we buy something every time we visit that port.

The shops all around the main square in San Jose have excellent merchandise....original local art and jewelery....great textiles.

The unfortunate part is that all the port stops at Cabo are generally shorter than elsewhere....we wish they would knock five hors off PV and add them on to Cabo!!

Have great trip.

San Jose Del Cabo is our favourite place in MR.

The side walk restaurant called Tropicana is the best food we had in restaurants on six ports on our ten day cruise....and that is saying a lot because we had some great food in both Loreto and El Fuerte!

The Tropicana is also a boutique hotel that we are planning spending two weeks at next Spring.

The shopping in San Jose is far superior to anything we have found in Cabo...except for the glass factory where we buy something every time we visit that port.

The shops all around the main square in San Jose have excellent merchandise....original local art and jewelery....great textiles.

The unfortunate part is that all the port stops at Cabo are generally shorter than elsewhere....we wish they would knock five hors off PV and add them on to Cabo!!

Have great trip.

Thanks! That sounds like a lot of fun.:D My kind of day.

Archived