"Big U" Update

Just a reminder about tonight's (6/15) 60th Anniversary celebration for the SS United States at the Independence Seaport Museum at Penn's Landing in Philadelphia.

The SS United States Conservancy will announce a new and ambitious public awareness/fund raising campaign.

So many people are willing to moan endlessly about the demise of this American icon, but not willing to put up the money to save her. That seems to be the way in America today.

They should have scrapped her years ago.

The problem is it is going to take a lot of people with big money to save this ship. Even if I donated my entire annual salary, it wouldn't even be a drop in the bucket. :(

About fifty people turned out for last night's 60th Anniversary celebration for the SS United States in Philadelphia.

The event at the Independence Seaport Museum was attended by board members of the SS United States Conservancy who announced a new awareness/fund raising effort to be launched early next month. The announcement was lean on details. A new website is in the works.

The board says discussions are underway with parties in NYC, exploring the preservation of the ship as an education/meeting center. There could be some retail connection as well. Again, there were no specifics.

The gathering heard from new Big U spokesman and former NFL coach Dick Vermiel who promised to use his business and personal connections to help the ship.

A rough cut of a new SS United States documentary was screened. There was a lot of footage from "Lady In Waiting."

Afterward, attendees made the 10-minute drive to a parking lot across the street from the ship to watch the lighting of the funnels.

Do you have any pics of the funnel lighting?

I did not attend this funnel lighting but saw it a little over a year ago when last gasp funding was announced for the ship.

Here's a video of that ceremony including a peek at the lighting toward the end...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The SS United States Conservancy will host a panel discussion in New York City on October 9th. With the background of the Conservancy's exhibition on the history of of the Big U, the panel will discuss the women artists and designers who contributed to the SS United States.

http://www.ssunitedstatesconservancy.org/news/_/2012/9/update-fall-2012-event-schedule/

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I received an email from ss US org stating that due to the innauguration the piece was bumped from last Sundays lineup but will air at a later date....

Thanks for the info, we always tivo this show anyway. Glad I was not hearing things

It's not like the inauguration was a surprise!! We knew when the date was! Why did they say they were doing the piece in the first place?

well, I look forward to when it does air. Please post again if you hear when it will be on.

Thanks.

Will do. I hope it's a full story and not just a brief mention after a commercial break. Cronkite would be pleased with an expanded piece. ;)

I just recv'd this notification:

Please join the New York Chapter for their upcoming meeting:

Date: Saturday, February 2nd

Time: 1:00 PM to 2:30 PM

Location: O'Lunney's Times Square Pub, 145 West 45th Street (between Broadway and 6th Avenue), New York, NY 10036

Meet fellow members, discuss chapter outreach efforts and hear exciting updates from the Conservancy! Not yet a member of the Conservancy? Come to the meeting and learn how to become a member.

Any questions, email newyork@ssusc.org.

Why wait to see the segment? It's been posted on YouTube here.

A nice piece that aired last July. Still looking forward to the latest. :)

I just recv'd this notification:

Please join the New York Chapter for their upcoming meeting:

Date: Saturday, February 2nd

Time: 1:00 PM to 2:30 PM

Location: O'Lunney's Times Square Pub, 145 West 45th Street (between Broadway and 6th Avenue), New York, NY 10036

Meet fellow members, discuss chapter outreach efforts and hear exciting updates from the Conservancy! Not yet a member of the Conservancy? Come to the meeting and learn how to become a member.

Any questions, email newyork@ssusc.org.

Thanks for posting. Anyone attend this session?

• 2 weeks later...

The feature on the SS United States broadcast on the CBS Sunday Morning program of February 17, 2013, can be viewed on this page at the CBS website:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3445_162-57569752/saving-the-ss-united-states/

In addition to the seven-minute video segment, the page also includes the full text of the program.