"Big U" Update

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2023 at 12:48 PM, zdcatc12 said:

I read an article recently about her being moved to Manhattan as part of an entertainment complex. Has anyone else heard about this?

It is still sad every time that I drive over the Whitman Bridge and look over and see her rusting away.

Would love to see that happen but unfortunately doubt it . 

• 1 month later...

The SS United States faces possible eviction from it's Philadelphia pier while the SS United States Conservancy pitches a New York development plan to move the ship to Pier 76.  Rent was doubled during the pandemic. The Conservancy continued to make payments outlined in the original lease. 

Fans of the ship should monitor developments playing out in court in the aftermath of two hearings.

More at ssusc.org   

^^ 

Yeah, the rent dispute trial started last Wednesday (January 24th) and was only expected to last a day or two, I believe. I was expecting to have heard a verdict by now, but apparently the relevant parties will be notified in writing at later date, which could be as late as March or April. 

The conservancy is hanging its hat on a lease that was re-negotiated in 2011 after the ship was acquired from NCL. The lease spells out an $850 daily rate “continuing until upon removal of the vessel from its current location.” On the other hand, the landlord’s defense is that the lease wasn’t intended to be in perpetuity and nobody expected the ship to remain there for so long after the lease was signed. 

The judge in the trial recommended that the two sides try to work something out via negotiation, rather than a court ruling. In my opinion, a good compromise might be to keep the old rent rate until the end of 2024, then the ship has to either begin paying the higher rate or move. 

Honestly, it is silly keeping this rusted out, gutted hulk around any longer. If it was ever going to be repurposed, it would have already happened. New York firmly doesn't want the ship there, anyway. They're saying it won't even fit at Pier 76 and would require dredging. See:

RXR's Ship-to-Hotel Conversion is in Deep Trouble

The conservancy has fought a good fight, but it's over for the Big U.

Edited by rsachek

• 3 weeks later...

The Philadelphia Inquirer reports the SS United States Conservancy, in a letter to the White House, is now offering to donate the ship to the state, National Park Service or any other entity that can offer a new home amid the legal case stemming from dock fees.

It may be the last SOS.

I got these *Big U* crew items a little while back and thought might find them interesting to see. There are signs from on board the liner for the dining room, luggage, signs about clocks and clean linen. Note pads from Engineering and Repair area, a letter to the Chief Purser, a sheet from the cleaning staff for cleaning the cabins and staterooms, and crew overtime report forms.

Please enjoy the crew item photos as the items are in my personal collection now.

IMG_4290.jpeg

IMG_4289.jpeg

IMG_4288.jpeg

IMG_4287.jpeg

IMG_4286.jpeg

IMG_4281.jpeg

IMG_4282.jpeg

IMG_4283.jpeg

IMG_4284.jpeg

IMG_4285.jpeg

IMG_4280.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by norboy76
Updated photo
  • Like 1

On 2/15/2024 at 6:46 AM, Philly Steve said:

The Philadelphia Inquirer reports the SS United States Conservancy, in a letter to the White House, is now offering to donate the ship to the state, National Park Service or any other entity that can offer a new home amid the legal case stemming from dock fees.

It may be the last SOS.

Any new updates on the SS United States? Also curious to your thoughts on these interesting crew and shipboard used items from the liner, including the letters to the chief purser. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2024 at 7:34 AM, Philly Steve said:

The judge in the SS United States eviction case urges a compromise by both parties while threatening to impose "a decision no one will like."

That was a few months ago. Presumably, no compromise was reached or perhaps none was even attempted. A verdict should be expected literally any day now, given that we're nearly at the end of April.

There is speculation that even in a best case scenrio — the conservancy prevails and the ship is allowed to dock indefinitely at the old rent rate — the conservancy doesn't have the funds to sustain. RXR has been chipping in to cover expenses for several years and I believe that relationship is now over, leaving the conservancy to pay the full cost.

One has to imagine that donations are dwindling gives how many years this saga has dragged on.

• Like 1