"Cancelling" Natural History Tour

mtnbikechick73

I have seen ALOT of people on here telling posters on the land-tour portion of the vacation to cancel their Natural History Tour at Denali and book the Tundra Wilderness Tour. I'd like to know how this is done without losing the money you've already spent on the NHT? Truly, you can't cancel the NHT and get your money back through your cruise travel agent at this point, so if you just don't go on the NHT and you book the TWT, you're just paying double....isn't that right? You've paid for the NHT and now you're going to have to pay for the TWT.

Is the NHT really THAT bad?

The NHT has been very accurately described as being like going to Disneyland and never leaving the parking lot. Go on a shuttle at a fraction of the cost of the TWT. If you have time, that is - many of the cruisetours don't even allow time enough to get into the park very far.

It's not that bad but most of it can be done for free. Yukon's metaphor is pretty close. You get to hear everthing about the park but only get to go into it a very short ways.

And while you are thinking about losing money and paying double, when you take in the cost to see Alaska, especially if this is your only trip, is another $30-50(I am not exactly sure on the price) so much that you would not want to see something that you had gone so far away from home to experience. Be mad at the cruise tour for the rip-off, but don't short yourself because you can't get your money back.

I have seen ALOT of people on here telling posters on the land-tour portion of the vacation to cancel their Natural History Tour at Denali and book the Tundra Wilderness Tour. I'd like to know how this is done without losing the money you've already spent on the NHT? Truly, you can't cancel the NHT and get your money back through your cruise travel agent at this point, so if you just don't go on the NHT and you book the TWT, you're just paying double....isn't that right? You've paid for the NHT and now you're going to have to pay for the TWT.

With Princess, we were allowed to cancel the NHT and get a credit for it. We scheduled the TWT instead. It wasn't hard to do, we just had our TA call. I've done the TWT twice now and plan to do it every time we go to Alaska in the future, too. It's worth it.

I have walked many times further than the Natural History Tour! The tour is that short.

The bus goes to mile 17. The total trip is more then 30 miles. While I don't doubt you walk many times further then that many (probably most) cc members don't. Your comment gives readers wrong information.

According to the park the NHT is designed for guests who only have half a day. Who are interested in a tour of the park but who don't care about seeing animals.

Guests who have the time, and who want to view animals, shouldn't book the NHT.

It's that simple.

Basically, you can see the film they show on the NHT for free, you can go to the cabin and hear the naturalist talk that the NHT does at Savage River for free, and you can take a shuttle to Savage River, one mile less than the NHT goes for free. And it's not just the animals that you miss. Much of the really great scenery in the park is further in, as well as the really spectacular views of the mountain when it's out.

Who goes to Denali and doesn't want to see animals? I have never met anyone like that.

Who doesn't want to see the scenery?

You wouldn't believe how many.

I always ask, "Who wouldn't want to get OFF THE BUS?" Same answer.

And you can't miss what you don't know about.

Who goes to Denali and doesn't want to see animals? I have never met anyone like that.

Who doesn't want to see the scenery?

I did a Northbound cruisetour. Fairbanks I ran into people who were starting their tour. Two couples I spoke to had the NHT booked. I told them they probably wouldn't see animals and it didn't go very far into the park. The bus driver overheard what I said and told them I was giving them accurate information. One couple was going to try to switch. The other couple didn't want to spend more time in a bus and was very happy with what was booked for them.

My point is different people look for different things. Not everyone wants to spend 8+ hours on a converted school bus. Some people may be happy with flightseeing, rafting etc. I had 2 nights in Denali but I arrived on the train and left via motor coach (to FAI) at 8:15a. I really only had a little more then a day. I was happy I took the TWT. I can understand others being happy with the NHT and spending time with a dog kennel tour, flightseeing, rafting, hiking etc.

There is nothing wrong with the NHT, it exactly matches the description given by the parks service. It's designed for guests who don't have enough time to take the longer tour. It's designed for guests who want a narrated tour of part of the park but who aren't interested in seeing animals.

I agree some people wind up on the NHT because they don't know the difference or because they booked a tour that doesn't give them enough time in Denali. Regulars on this board don't appreciate the fact that different people look for different experiences on vacation.

People on tours generally don't have more then a day or two at Denali. Even people not on tours may not have time to spend more then 2 nights at Denali. Different people have different ways they allocate their time.

I'm very glad I took the TWT and not the NHT or the shuttle. The video screen made it possible for me to spot the animals with my binoculars. I didn't see the "dots" and people pointing didn't really help. Seeing the animla on the screen, with the surrounding area made it possible for me to use my binoulars. The shuttle may work out great for future visits but I think the commentary, video and slightly better seats suggest the TWD is a better choice for a first trip for many guests.

According to the website http://alaska.org/denali/natural-history-tours.jsp the NHT goes to mile 19 at a cost of $93/Adult. Rather than look at it as paying twice, maybe a better way to look at is this: You can pay $93 to go to mile 19 and for a $60 +/- upgrade charge (the cost of a shuttle) you can go all the way to Wonder Lake at mile 85 and have the opportunity to see much more wildlife and scenery.

It's all in how you look at it. ;)

Hope that helps!

The problem is, we're not in Denali long enough to take the TWT, and I don't think we'd even be able to squeeze in the tour that goes to Toklat. It says we have to get on the train to Fairbanks in the "late afternoon", and the earliest shuttle tour to Toklat leaves at 9:30 AM, and it's a 6-hour tour.

Anyone do the Radiance Northbound and Land Tour #8 that knows if we'd have time for the Toklat tour in Denali?

The problem is, we're not in Denali long enough to take the TWT, and I don't think we'd even be able to squeeze in the tour that goes to Toklat. It says we have to get on the train to Fairbanks in the "late afternoon", and the earliest shuttle tour to Toklat leaves at 9:30 AM, and it's a 6-hour tour.

Anyone do the Radiance Northbound and Land Tour #8 that knows if we'd have time for the Toklat tour in Denali?

My TWT bus left around 7:30 and there were people on the bus who were taking the train to Fairbanks. I think the train leaves around 4. The driver will let you off at the train station, you'll want to bring everything with you.

Try to switch but make sure they know you're taking the train to FAI. You need the earliest TWT that's available.

If you are interested, you need to look at the bus schedule on the http://www.nps.gov/dena website. Most likely you take an Eielson or a Wonder Lake shuttle but get off early and take the first camper bus back to the entrance that arrives in time for the train to Anchorage (about noon arrival). Camper buses coming out of the park usually have little commentary but you would get that going into the park. My guess is that a 5.30am or 6am Wonder Lake or Eielson shuttle would get you to Toklat or at least pretty close before getting off and switching to the eastbound bus to the entrance.

If you are interested, you need to look at the bus schedule on the www.nps.gov/dena website. Most likely you take an Eielson or a Wonder Lake shuttle but get off early and take the first camper bus back to the entrance that arrives in time for the train to Anchorage (about noon arrival). Camper buses coming out of the park usually have little commentary but you would get that going into the park. My guess is that a 5.30am or 6am Wonder Lake or Eielson shuttle would get you to Toklat or at least pretty close before getting off and switching to the eastbound bus to the entrance.

But the poster you quoted is taking the train to Fairbanks, which leaves around 4:00p.:confused:

People on that train book the morning TWT. Works better if you can get on a very early bus.

When we did our cruisetour with Princess, they included the NHT in Denali as part of the package and we enjoyed it even though we understood that the TWT was longer and went deeper into the Park. Next year with RCI the TWT is provided as part of the itinerary and we will have the chance to compare the two. Different travelers have different capacities for physical exertion and different schedules which may make even the shorter tour more appropriate. If you feel that you have both the time and the ability to handle the longer tour, you should ask your travel agent to inquire about the possibility of substituting the TWT for the NHT and what the extra cost might be.:)

But the poster you quoted is taking the train to Fairbanks, which leaves around 4:00p.:confused:

People on that train book the morning TWT. Works better if you can get on a very early bus.

Not sure what you are saying :confused:. My post applies if they want to take a shuttle vs. a Tundra Tour . They can take a tundra tour too if they want to pay 3x as much :).

And with a 4pm train from Denali to Fairbanks they could even go as far as Eielson on the early shuttle and then catch the camper bus back to the entrance that leaves Wonder Lake at 8am, arriving by 2pm at the park entrance - so go further (between Toklat and Eielson is prime bear habitat) and still pay much less!

It says we have to get on the train to Fairbanks in the "late afternoon",

take the first camper bus back to the entrance that arrives in time for the train to Anchorage (about noon arrival).

Not sure what you are saying :confused:. My post applies if they want to take a shuttle vs. a Tundra Tour . They can take a tundra tour too if they want to pay 3x as much :).

I'm wondering why you're suggesting they plan on getting to the RR station by noon when the train to Fairbanks leaves around 4. I can think of better ways to spend 4 hours then waiting around the RR station.

My point is the poster should have time to take the TWT. He probably also has time to take a shuttle bus if he prefers that experience.

My post applies if they want to take a shuttle vs. a Tundra Tour .

This may be the best bet. Bag the actual tours and book the 6:30am Eielson shuttle bus for about 42 bucks. You don't have to go all the way to Eielson and can hop off the bus anywhere along the road you want. You can then hop on the next avaible green shuttle bus back to the park entrance. You can do the same thing for 35 bucks for the Toklat shuttle bus but the earliest one doesn't leave until 9:30. You don't want to book the camper bus.

We had a similar pass last weekend. We hopped off at the East Fork Toklat River. The first two green busses were full and we got the last two seats on the third one. It was about a 30 minute wait although we were enjoying exploring the area.

The first two green busses were full and we got the last two seats on the third one. It was about a 30 minute wait although we were enjoying exploring the area.

The OP has a 4:00p train (might be earlier) Sounds like they might have had a 45-60 minute wait if they needed more then 2 seats. I'm not sure how a cruisetour passenger would get to Fairbanks if they miss their train.

Sounds like shuttle passengers better allow an extra hour. JMO but I'd go with the TWT and tell the driver you have to catch a train. The driver was asking who needed to catch a train or bus when we arrived at the Toklat stop. We still continued to the current turnaround spot.

The OP has a 4:00p train (might be earlier) Sounds like they might have had a 45-60 minute wait if they needed more then 2 seats. I'm not sure how a cruisetour passenger would get to Fairbanks if they miss their train.

Sounds like shuttle passengers better allow an extra hour. JMO but I'd go with the TWT and tell the driver you have to catch a train. The driver was asking who needed to catch a train or bus when we arrived at the Toklat stop. We still continued to the current turnaround spot.

Yes, they would need to stay on top of the clock. During the time we were waiting for an open green shuttle bus there was only one tan tour bus that went by. The tan tour busses (TWT) do not allow you to hop on/hop off.

Have you ever been on a camper bus? I have NEVER found them full. As I said earlier, they need to check the schedules but basically they need to plan on taking a camper bus back to the entrance. The first Wonder Lake shuttle from the park entrance and the 8am camper bus from Wonder Lake to the entrance meet at Eielson. That would be the ideal scenario.

If they are real concerned about possibly missing the train, the absolute safest is what I suggested originally - plan on getting off at Toklat and returning to the entrance on the first camper bus.

I can think of better ways to spend 4 hours then waiting around the RR station.

The railroad station is literally a stone's throw from the visitor center - literally.

The four hours can well be spent at the visitor center, the WAC or the sleddog demo. LOTS to do at the park entrance.

They might even be able to have the early bus driver get on the radio to see if the 8am camper bus from Wonder Lake is full on its return (if not, thus staying on the bus deeper into the park). If I were a betting man, I would be $100,000 if I had it, that neither morning camper bus is full. The camper buses just are not full and moreso this year.

Archived