Getting Past my Paranoia

taxjam

Here are some things that I just learned because we had to cancel our Grand Circle of the Med because of my husband's a-fib and complications to an ablation procedure. If you are planning a trip, buy the insurance within 14 days of your initial deposit and those conditions will be covered. We originally booked this cruise in June 2009 and purchased the insurance within a couple of days.

Karen

I wonder what would have happened if you purchased the insurance, say, 2 months before the travel date (before his a-fib) as opposed to w/i 14 days of booking. Would they have denied coverage for a "pre existing condition" even though he had no problem at the time you got the insurance?

If you buy certain of the HTH and CSA products within 24 hours of the FINAL payment you are covered both for preexisting conditions and bankruptcy of the cruise line, tour agency, etc. (although that has to occur 14 days or more after you purchased the insurance). Insurance companies thrive on giving you a hard time in paying your claims, so why give them any ammunition by being able to call a condition preexisting? When my father-in-law had to be medically evacuated off a Princess ship, the first question the insurance company asked was when the insurance was bought in relation to the deposit (he had Access America, which has to be purchased within 14 days of the deposit to cover preexisting conditions). As soon as he told them it was purchased the same day as the deposit, they asked no more questions and paid his claim promptly.

I wonder what would have happened if you purchased the insurance, say, 2 months before the travel date (before his a-fib) as opposed to w/i 14 days of booking. Would they have denied coverage for a "pre existing condition" even though he had no problem at the time you got the insurance?

You make a good point. I don't have an answer. I have a certain distrust of insurance companies as a whole so it would probably have been denied if we tried.........

When I learned how the CEO of Oceania monitored Cruise Critic I asked our broker about buying stock. While Prestige is closely held, the funding of billion dollar ships is through a publicly traded (but also closely held) company: Apollo LLC. Apollo has VERY DEEP pockets and has a number of seats on the board of Prestige. While lacking anything close to deep pockets of my own, we are waiting for a round lot of Apollo to sell.

Archived