How rough are seas on Canada cruise from NYC?

rpmljm

Hi

My daughter is considering a Canada cruise leaving from NYC Labor Day weekend. She is concerned about getting seasick. Is the Atlantic normally rough going from NYC to Canada? Can anyone offer advise based on their experience. We have never cruised in that area before. Thanks!

Laurie

Hi

My daughter is considering a Canada cruise leaving from NYC Labor Day weekend. She is concerned about getting seasick. Is the Atlantic normally rough going from NYC to Canada? Can anyone offer advise based on their experience. We have never cruised in that area before. Thanks!

Laurie

When we cruised this May from Fort Lauderdale and arriving in Montreal 15 days later we experienced very calm waters for the entire cruise. That being said when your cruising on any ocean you can experience rough seas at any time. I have read other reviews from Boston to Montreal this summer that they experienced rough seas.

Your dealing with Mother Nature and should be prepared with anti motion sickness meds, patches, wrist bands if you have motion sickness concerns.

Seas will probably be pretty calm, but you might run into a little roughness when the ship picks up speed at night. I didn't find it bad, and most normal people probably slept through it. You'll likely run into fog more than anything at that time of year. Have fun!

We have done this cruise 3 times, twice in Sept and once early October. The sea was for the most part very smooth. You can never be sure what mood the Atlantic will be in but that early in Sept you should be fine.

We have done this cruise 3 times, twice in Sept and once early October. The sea was for the most part very smooth. You can never be sure what mood the Atlantic will be in but that early in Sept you should be fine.

Thanks for the info. What about the weather in early October? I don't mind chilly as long as the winds aren't blowing. Should I buy a heavy coat or jacket? I live in California and don't really own a good coat but have a couple of lightweight jackets.

Funat55,

We did a repositioning cruise in May on the MS Maasdam. We had Eddie Bauer coats with an outer liner and felt inner liner. There were times we needed both but the key is layered clothing. The outer jackets are waterproof which is nice when it is raining.

Having been brought up in Vermont I can attest that it can be quite cold in October and I remember some snow storms in early October. That being said it can be just beautiful. Be prepared.

We are returning to Montreal in October to cruise on the Maasdam again for its 13 day fall repositioning cruise back to Florida. The Cruise of the Foliagers. We most likely will bring some of the same cold weather clothing but will also have to bring more warm weather clothing as we near Florida.

Great cruise and hope you enjoy it as much as we did and will again in October. Our cruise is also October 10.

funat55, we did this cruise twice before. You will definitely need warmer clothing. Last year we needed heavy coats, gloves, and hats as we had a cold front. I would suggest sweatshirts and layer as well. It's possible to be warmer at times. We leave Oct 15th and will bring warm clothes as I think it may be a good bit colder than the end of September. Bring small umberellas also and maybe a disposable slicker. You will spend a good deal of time outside at your ports of call. Last year we walked the entire Halifax boardwalk in the pouring rain and wind. Despite the weather it was great fun!

Thanks for the info. What we call cold in California is warm to a lot of others. So I will definitely prepare for East Coast cold weather. Layering sounds good too. Appreciate the advice and will take it.

You have been given excellent advice....LAYER.....last time I did this cruise...weather was really quite nice..with just some cool early AMs and PMs..--

Have a great trip..

Archived