San Diego Pre-Cruise Hotel

ricka47

We just returned from the trans-canal on the Milli, which was great. And we stayed at the Holiday Inn right across from the pier, it was very nice and the view from the balcony was awesome. Lorelle

Glad to hear you all got great prices to stay at the best hotel in town for cruises. I just checked prices a couple of times in the past and noted they jacked up the price >$100 on a cruise night. Luckily, I live about three blocks from the pier myself. My husband drops me off with the luggage then takes the car home and walks down. We jump in the cab coming home--only $3.00.

When we stayed at the Holiday Inn, it was literally a 1 minute walk from the lobby to the luggage drop off area. i remember thinking that I've walked farther in airports with my bags.

Celebrity Summit 12/17/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;17;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Hey babylene: As I was driving to work today, noticed that the hotel on the corner was the Hotel La Jolla. You know, for the $$, it really isn't in a good location. It certainly is not at the beach. I don't know where the Best Western is, but by the AAA book, it looks like it is down at La Jolla Cove and closer to the water--a much better bet as there are many many excellent restaurants and nice shopping there. Nice to walk around the cove.

Thank you for the info. It was so nice of you to take note and report! Can I walk to the beach from there? Don't forget it will be March and we will go to walk only. Which is another question...is there a long beach for walking? Someone (maybe it was you!) said that it could be cloudy or foggy in March....so I told my DH that maybe we should stay in San Diego itself, after all. If we did that, I would want to be in a good location, where we wouldn't have to rent a car. Were you the one who suggested that? Such decisions!

Babylene, I also know where the Hotel La Jolla is and it is definitely not walking distance to the beach. Well, a REALLY long walk maybe, but not really doable. It is not by the way, a bad hotel. All of the rooms have small balconies where you can see the ocean. It used to be called the Summer House and I stayed there a long time ago when they still had jazz in their rooftop lounge. Their restaurant. Elario's, is still there, though. It used to be very good. Don't know about now.

There is a long beach (maybe a mile or less) at La Jolla Shores near the Aquarium. The only other beach I know of there is La Jolla Cove. No real beach, but very pretty. I have been scuba diving there.

If you have never been to San Diego, I would stay in San Diego proper. You can do it without a car if you prefer. There are buses and trolleys and everything is fairly close together. La Jolla is very scenic, but it will more than likely be chilly in March, and there is a lot more to do in or near the city.

Linda

Cauvet,I was looking at the Embassy Suites and Hotel in La Jolla. Do you know how that area is? I know it is not close to the pier but was wondering if it is in a pretty safe place and a nice hotel. Thanks for any info.

Toni

Infinity Hawaii 2004
Galaxy 2003
Voyager 2002
Explorer 2001

Hi Linda! Thanks for the input. It sounds like to be both walking distance to the center of things and walking distance to a walking beach (I guess you get the picture...we like to walk!!!)is not feasible. As for San Diego, we were at the Hyatt Islandia about 17 years ago. Our kids were young and we did all the kids' sights. Last year we spent one night pre-cruise at the Residence Inn on Pacific Hwy and visited Horton's Plaza (which we don't have to visit again!) and we walked along the water's edge to the Seaport Village.
If we did decide to stay in San Diego, what would you recommend as a hotel and what would you recommend for sight-seeing/activities?

I booked a hotel in San Diego on Priceline twice and got both for $55. This past Jan I got the Holiday Inn on the Bay and the previous Jan I got a hotel on Harbor Island. Can't remember which chain but it had a harbor view and was very nice. I would always use Priceline in San Diego.

Hi Liz! We were very happy there. They shuttle you (free) to the ship. It is about 1 block away. After breakfast we walked over to watch the passengers disembark and of course asked some of them lots of questions! Then we walked further to the Seaport shops. It was a lovely morning. By noon, we shuttled over to the ship. It was very easy. I think the shuttle picked us up at the airport, but I can't remember! At first I had booked another hotel, but as the cruise time approached, someone posted that they got a fantastic price, so I switched hotels. Hope this helps.

Thanks Babylene...have heard good things about this hotel, but always nice to get a report from someone with first hand experience. Last time we cruised out of San Diego, we stayed at the Marriott downtown. We liked it there, but this time wanted to be closer to the port.

Archived