Grandeur Questions

My husband and I are leaving on Saturday for a 5 night cruise on Grandeur (Baltimore to Bermuda). I have a few questions for those who have recently been on Grandeur.

1. Was there a refrigerator in your room? (I know they are not very cold, but I have medication I need to keep cool.)

2. What shows/comedians/entertainment was offered?

3. Were any dance classes offered?

4. If you did MyTime Dining, any tips?

5. If you had a D1 balcony room, was the bed or couch closest to the balcony door?

6. What was your favorite thing to do on board?

7. If you went to Bermuda, any recommendations for places to go/things to see?

8. If you embarked from Baltimore, any tips (time to arrive, etc.)?

Thanks for any info. I just love reading as much as I can in the last few days before the cruise! :p

1. Was there a refrigerator in your room? (I know they are not very cold, but I have medication I need to keep cool.) email special_needs@rccl.com, note the _ between special and needs and request one though not sure if it is too late, you can ask as soon as you board for a real frig that will keep your medicine correct

3. Were any dance classes offered? they have had then on every cruise I have been on

5. If you had a D1 balcony room, was the bed or couch closest to the balcony door?

7. If you went to Bermuda, any recommendations for places to go/things to see? Horseshoe beach, take the #7 bus, the nativeway catamaran snorkel was wonderful. The pass for the ferry/bus system is like 12$ a day and unlimited rides on both the ferrys and buses.

My husband and I are leaving on Saturday for a 5 night cruise on Grandeur (Baltimore to Bermuda). I have a few questions for those who have recently been on Grandeur.

1. Was there a refrigerator in your room? (I know they are not very cold, but I have medication I need to keep cool.)

Thanks for any info. I just love reading as much as I can in the last few days before the cruise! :p

We sailed on the Grandeur at the end of May. It was a 9 day from Norfolk to the southern Caribbean. I can answer some of your questions.

1. We had an inside stateroom. No refrigerator.

2. Shows offered were comedians. One was funny, one was not. Some sing and dance shows. They were okay. The piano player in the schooner bar was pretty good.

3. There were dance classes offered most days. I think mostly ballroom.

6. Favorite thing to do on board was lounging in the sun, schooner bar before and after dinner. Dinner itself! Dancing at night. The shows. The captain's announcement each day was quite entertaining. He also does a talk on the last sea day. It is about the ship. Very interesting. Me and the hubs enjoyed that.

The Grandeur is an older and smaller ship but the staff was great. It was our second time on the ship and we really had fun. Hope you do to!

We just got off the last 5 day on Thursday, to Bermuda on Grandeur. Comedians were different. The first one was very funny and his late night adult show was also. The other shows are production shows and are good also. Last night aboard we had a very good show that I'm not going to give away the secret about, but it was first was basically a type of puppet show and the second part was drummer/performers from South America. Those were very good.

In Bermuda we took the ferry to Hamilton the first day and the second went to Snorkel Park. I would suggest if you want to go to Horseshoe Bay that you take the bus. We had an excursion there that got cancelled which is why we ended up in Snorkel Park due to time constraints. I would go to St. George's.

On board, our favorite thing to do was sit by the pool in the Solarium during the day. We also enjoyed the Viking Crown lounge and the Champagne Bar (flirtini, yum). The first night we went up to the Viking Crown and had a drink while watching as the ship passed over the Rt 13 Bay Bridge Tunnel at where the bay meets the ocean. We had late seating and went up after the comedian show, so around 11-11:30 is my guess.

I know they taught several dances at the 70's dance and by the pool, "electric slide" and a couple of other line dances. There were also a couple of dance classes in the Compass but we didn't go to any of them. Oh, the food demo on the last sea day was very good also. The CD, Clo O'Connor is a little self-deprecating and very funny. She is part of the food demo. They also take one volunteer, so if you want to get involved sit down front and volunteer. That was in the Centrum around 10:00 am.

You can request a frig, but it really eats space. They put it under the desk. After having one on the first few cruises we now opt to do without.

The usual assortment of entertainment is offered.

Yes, ballroom. (I think there might have been country line dancing and hip hop on some of the cruises.)

It wasn't offered when we were on it.

N/A

I loved the lounge chairs on the Promenade Deck. Also enjoyed trivia, some of the activities during the day and relaxing to music in the evenings.

Horseshoe Bay is so beautiful! We also enjoyed just walking around looking at the various shops. Don't forget to sample the rum cakes.

Baltimore is one of the easiest ports we've been to. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. I'm not sure about the embarkation times. We live close to the port so don't really worry much about the timing.

The captains on Grandeur are both very good. The announcements are almost always worth listening to for their humor.

One final tip: Bring something for motion sickness. The currents between Baltimore and Bermuda can be a little rough.

We will be on the cruise (9 nights to NE/Canada) following yours.

Several weeks ago, I sent an email to web_reservations@rccl.com and asked who the captain would be and what the entertainment line-up would be for our cruise. I received a reply with the answers a couple days later. I found infomation online about several of the entertainers when I googled their names. Here is the response I received - I don't know which ones might also be on your cruise as we have a different and longer itinerary.

"Captain Johnsen will be aboard the Grandeur of the Seas during your cruise. Per your request, here is the listed entertainment:

August 13 thru August 22 - Baltimore - 9 nights

LOUIS JOHNSON COMEDIAN

JUDY KOLBA SINGER

TONY DARO COMEDIAN

RALPH HARRIS COMEDIAN

PAMPOS GAUCHOS - MARCOS GAUCHO ACT

KEVIN BRANDO COCKTAIL PIANIST

TEDDY QUARTET CENTRUM QUARTET

PRODUCTION SHOWS: BROADWAY RHYTHM & RHYME - ALL ACCESS - MY ROMANCE

Please be advised that, while this is the intended lineup and Captain, the information is subject to change."

I hope you have a great time on Grandeur - take good care of her for us!

We will be on the cruise (9 nights to NE/Canada) following yours.

Several weeks ago, I sent an email to web_reservations@rccl.com and asked who the captain would be and what the entertainment line-up would be for our cruise. I received a reply with the answers a couple days later. I found infomation online about several of the entertainers when I googled their names. Here is the response I received - I don't know which ones might also be on your cruise as we have a different and longer itinerary.

"Captain Johnsen will be aboard the Grandeur of the Seas during your cruise. Per your request, here is the listed entertainment:

August 13 thru August 22 - Baltimore - 9 nights

LOUIS JOHNSON COMEDIAN

JUDY KOLBA SINGER

TONY DARO COMEDIAN

RALPH HARRIS COMEDIAN

PAMPOS GAUCHOS - MARCOS GAUCHO ACT

KEVIN BRANDO COCKTAIL PIANIST

TEDDY QUARTET CENTRUM QUARTET

PRODUCTION SHOWS: BROADWAY RHYTHM & RHYME - ALL ACCESS - MY ROMANCE

Please be advised that, while this is the intended lineup and Captain, the information is subject to change."

I hope you have a great time on Grandeur - take good care of her for us!

Okay, on our BERMDA cruise on Grandeur last week, which is the itinerary the op was asking about, the only name I recognize above is Pampos Gauchos and the All Access show. Don't recognize the singer or comedian's and I'm guessing they are different for Bermuda. Anyway, Captain Rune was our Master. I wish I'd kept our Compass', but we tossed them.

Departing Baltimore was VERY easy. We were there by 10:30 am. We had planned by 11, but Sat traffic was light and moving well. We weren't the first ones there either. In fact, when we got off this past Thursday, you can see in where the waiting area is as you head out of the building and there were already people in the waiting area at 9 am. We boarded at 11:45 am and we were the first group to board.

I notice you're in a d1 balcony. These rooms do have a refrigerator. They are in the cabinet under the tv. Balcony's and above have refrigerator's in the room standard on this ship.

I agree about the ease of leaving from Baltimore. We've grown so spoiled from this port we won't go on a ship that leaves from anywhere else.

We are on this same sailing leaving Saturday. Thank you all for all the good info! I have a few questions too...

It says we arrive at 10:00am on Monday and depart at 3:00pm on Tuesday. We would like to take a ferry to St. George on Monday. What time were you really able to get off the ship? Also, I read somewhere on the Bermuda board that people waited two hours to buy their transportation passes and then an hour more for the bus to Horseshoe. Did you find this to be the case? What time did you have to back on board on Tuesday. Is it worth trying to venture farther than the snorkle park?

Archived