How bad is August in Med

sciencemom45

HI,

We are planning a med cruise for next summer. We would prefer to go July but other family members need to go in August due to work, etc in July. We have been warned not to travel in Med in Aug because it is too hot, too crowed, etc. Anyone have any thoughts? Is there really that big a difference beteen early July and mid August?

Thanks

HI,

We are planning a med cruise for next summer. We would prefer to go July but other family members need to go in August due to work, etc in July. We have been warned not to travel in Med in Aug because it is too hot, too crowed, etc. Anyone have any thoughts? Is there really that big a difference beteen early July and mid August?

Thanks

It is very hot in Aug.but not that much hotter than July IMHO..it may be a tad more crowded as a lot of Europenas are on vacation as well,but I have cruised in Aug and it was not THAT bad. It has been hot in the early fall months as well so do not heed the warning not to go in Aug..just go and enjoy.:D

As cberge said, the biggest difference is that August is the traditional holiday month for Europeans. Not only are attractions more crowded, many shops are also closed for the month. Add that to the heat, and if possible I recommend avoiding Europe in August.

That said, I'm off in 4 days to Italy ;)

HI,

Thanks

It can be equally hot in August.

As others said it can be crowded both months. We actually found in some places since many were on vacation traffic and crowds to be less then what we had expected.

We traveled end of August and didn't find the crowds nor heat to be so opressive to cause any issues.

Good luck with your planning.

HI,

Thanks

Don't let weather forecasts sway booking when it is more convenient for everybody involved. I just came back from Italy, we were there first two weeks of July. Weather was scorching hot, in the 90s! Three years ago I was there the whole month of August and weather was lovely, the high was never over the mid 80s. You never know....

Regarding the crowds, I didn't find any difference in the cities. The difference of more crowds would come on beach/coastal areas in August (for example Cinque terre, Amalfi,etc.) because many Italians go there for Summer vacations (which they take mainly in August).

We cruised the Med in August of last year. Yes, it was extremely hot and crowded, but I don't feel it hindered us from having an amazing time. If you are going to Greece, 8/15 is a big holiday. I was told by a Greek to cruise after that holiday, as many Greeks are done with vacation after that.

I have been to the Med. twice and have my third trip booked in September. While I prefer the slightly cooler temps of September, our first cruise was in August. Yes, it can be hot but if you are prepared with sunscreen, a hat and lots of water, you will be fine. Even my 75 year old mother in law was fine wandering around Pompeii in 90 degree heat! :D You'll love the Med. so much the weather won't bother you.

Unless you go in the dead of winter, I think it isn't much less crowded in September or June/July.

Enjoy your trip:o

HI,

Thanks

We always cruise the med in August. Yes its hot and crowded but its not spoiled any of our cruises. There`s room for us all out there !

Hey,

We cruised in August and yeah, its hot, but worth every minute...You'll look forward to coming back to the ship, going up the gangway and having that a/c air hit you right in the face...We did Capri, Sorrento, and Pompeii in one day and that was a little much but when are you going to get a chance to see things like that...Have a great time...My wife took one of those hankerchiefs that you put in the freezer the night before and then wore it around her neck the whole day and she felt great...Worked wonders..Have a great time, it is a wonderful trip

Newts:cool:

IMG_3717.jpg.3e4c1b7efbc9ab8e518c5fd35029b703.jpg

IMG_3497.jpg.9a4c79c7ec14c42dfa32ecd87fc4edb2.jpg

IMG_3623.jpg.903b7a1ce84d8d39be958960cf8ee27d.jpg

Yes there is a difference and not a good one, In the past I have been in Southern Italy in June and September both beautiful months. Currently I am in Sorrento for the month of August and yes it is very hot, very crowded and hard to really enjoy all the beautiful sites here. There are not only the cruise ships but the Italians from Naples and tourists from all over which created nothing but chaos and crowds everywhere! If at all possible take your trip at the latest possible time in August or any other month.

We took our honeymoon in Med last year in mid August - still had a great time but it was really hot a lot of the time, especially in Greece on some days high 90's and very sunny. So ideally, mid August is not my favorite time. I don't think July is that much different, September is better since it starts cooling and less crowds and backpacking students. But if that's the best time for you, just plan for drinking a lot of water and wearing a hat and you'll be fine.

Archived