Cruising with carry-on only bag - possible?

shops54

My DH and I spent 10 days in WA with carry on only bags and I'm wondering if it is possible to do a 7 day cruise with the same. We have roll-aboards and backpacks as our personal items. Has anyone tried this? Will it work? Thanks in advance

I think it is. We did a 20 day trip to Italy on land (4 nights) and a 14-night cruise with just carry-on luggage (actually I guess it was 19 days counting the travel day, not 20, but still). But we were on a line (Azamara) with no formal nights, so that cut down on a few items for me.

Here's a link to the thread, which includes my packing list on the first post and my husband's list near the end. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=997927

If you pack for 5 days and plan to send out some laundry & wash a few items in your sink (or in the laundromat, if you're sailing a line that has them), then I think that 7 days is doable, even with formal nights.:)

We did a two week tour of Britain with carry-on on a cusp season. When we arrived in London it was 25 celcius and by the time we got to Aviemore, it snowed. :eek:

I think it would be reasonable to do a warm-weather cruise with carryon. I would recommend reducing footwear, wearing your bulkiest stuff for embarkation and being prepared for mix & match within a simple colour scheme. And have a good deodorant! :D

Here's how I would do it: on the plane, DH wears jeans, shirt, dress shoes and the jacket of a suit. In his case, the pants of the suit, running shoes, sandals, shorts & tees, bathing trunks that double as shorts, one or two dress shirts. You also wear jeans on the plane with your biggest practical walking shoe/sandal, a hat and a cardigan. In your case: one pair of pants and/or one skirt, several nice tops, shorts & tees/tanks, bathing suit(s), a bra or two, one pair of heels, one pashmina stuffed into an evening purse, one cocktail dress that will roll up small, flip-flops and sneakers. Just choose items that don't wrinkle or need special underwear/bras, and make sure your heels are uber comfortable. One thin nightdress, if you wear them, and no robes or slippers. You can wear the pants & skirt with various tops for evening...a glittery tank, for instance, can take a basic pair of trousers from day to evening and only takes a few inches in your case.

I don't understand those people who suggest washing underwear to save space. Underwear takes up very little space, and it's not worth the hassle!

I always bring a few pairs of thin socks in case of blisters and I put one pair in the toe of each high heel to protect them, then pull another sock over the shoe to keep them clean.

Jewellery goes in your purse, along with some bobby pins and hair elastics for ponytails and updos.

It's absolutely do-able but you have to be willing to make the sacrifices that come with it. You don't have shoes that match each outfit. You don't have a new outfit every day. You mix and match. I love to travel light and am getting better about actually carrying it off. The books & case of wine still weight me down though.....

We did a two week tour of Britain with carry-on on a cusp season. When we arrived in London it was 25 celcius and by the time we got to Aviemore, it snowed. :eek:

I think it would be reasonable to do a warm-weather cruise with carryon. I would recommend reducing footwear, wearing your bulkiest stuff for embarkation and being prepared for mix & match within a simple colour scheme. And have a good deodorant! :D

Here's how I would do it: on the plane, DH wears jeans, shirt, dress shoes and the jacket of a suit. In his case, the pants of the suit, running shoes, sandals, shorts & tees, bathing trunks that double as shorts, one or two dress shirts. You also wear jeans on the plane with your biggest practical walking shoe/sandal, a hat and a cardigan. In your case: one pair of pants and/or one skirt, several nice tops, shorts & tees/tanks, bathing suit(s), a bra or two, one pair of heels, one pashmina stuffed into an evening purse, one cocktail dress that will roll up small, flip-flops and sneakers. Just choose items that don't wrinkle or need special underwear/bras, and make sure your heels are uber comfortable. One thin nightdress, if you wear them, and no robes or slippers. You can wear the pants & skirt with various tops for evening...a glittery tank, for instance, can take a basic pair of trousers from day to evening and only takes a few inches in your case.

I don't understand those people who suggest washing underwear to save space. Underwear takes up very little space, and it's not worth the hassle!

I always bring a few pairs of thin socks in case of blisters and I put one pair in the toe of each high heel to protect them, then pull another sock over the shoe to keep them clean.

Jewellery goes in your purse, along with some bobby pins and hair elastics for ponytails and updos.

I'll answer that question for you, we do pack as light as we can and I do agree that underwear doesn't take up a lot of space.

I wash my underwear and bras in the sink because I don't have enough to last for an entire week, that would mean 15-16 pair. I also only will wear a bra once and again, don't have enough. Not to mention the odor in your suitcase or in the ziploc from 14 pair of mens underwear brewing for a week, even in a ziploc :eek:.

It's really no hassle, fill the sink with cold water and soap, allow the undies to soak while you shower, swish and rinse well, then hang on the shower clothesline, they are dry by evening. It takes me less than 5 minutes 2 or 3 times during the week.

DH's goes to the laundry, along with a few other items of clothing. Our laundry costs are around $20-30 a week for a cruise, well worth it to us for the packing space and weight saved.

I think it's harder to pack for shorter trips, since you don't have time to send laundry out you have to take every single thing you need for every single day.

Okay, I can see that!

I avoid laundry as long as possible, so I own the world's largest collection of cheap cotton panties. (I was single and in apartments most of my life...my mother and I would be on the phone bemoaning that we had to do laundry in the dreaded laundry room but we were out of undies or socks...so we'd meet and go shopping instead! And old habits die hard!) Thankfully, I'm not as lazy about handwashing, but I do wear my bras more than once before they go in the sink...hmmm...maybe I shouldn't. You've given me something to think about there!

Hubby does his own laundry. (He'd have to, wouldn't he?) He deals with his own ziplock. :D

Many people have done it - it is certainly feasible. I have done some several-day land vacations this summer with just an 18". Going to a 22" and a backpack should give ample room for several more days. One great tip I have used is to pack a strand of pearls and some simple pearl earrings. These will "dress up' any outfit. I wore them with plain white t-Shirt and black capris for a nice dinner and with a black travellers knit top and skirt for more formal. Another versatile piece was a black camisole with lace trim. I pasked a pair of metallic slides which went with many things and took up little room. They key is to pick items that you really love. Don't waste space on things that are less appealing - you won't wear them.

Always do carry on - cruise or landtrips.

Coming up I have a 3 week trip to Europe/Mediterannean. 12 days on the sea and the rest on land. Don't plan on doing laundry. Usually don't. Handwash the few pairs of underwear I bring and the swimsuit.

I did a 12 day visit to England in the late fall and brought gifts over - all in a carryon.

Had fleece jackets, jeans, sweatpants, rain jacket, etc.. packed. Once again, not major laundry.

So worth it to me to zip through baggage claim etc....

I remember once we did an all inclusive in the Carribean and arrived with just one carryon. The luggage was collected and the man couldn't believe we were there for a week with only one case. I said.... A swimsuit, pair of shorts, a shirt, a few sundresses for dinner don't take up much room. And I don't need pajamas. LOL He started laughing because we were at a mostly honeymooner resort. But us-not on a honeymoon. LOL

I always wonder about those people who bring only a carry-on. I read their packing lists of clothing and think, okay I bring about that much. But my packing is still almost 2 suitcases full.

However, I'm one of those people who likes to pack "stuff". I bring some beverages, booze, snacks, "go-cups", hair dryer, straightener, etc. etc. All of these items take up space. And I'm not living 6 days without my fancy blower or straightener.. lol. So unless I decide to live with my "stuff", I won't be able to pack it all into a carry-on. But best of luck to those of you who are going to try to bring less on your next trip.

I always wonder about those people who bring only a carry-on. I read their packing lists of clothing and think, okay I bring about that much. But my packing is still almost 2 suitcases full.

However, I'm one of those people who likes to pack "stuff". I bring some beverages, booze, snacks, "go-cups", hair dryer, straightener, etc. etc. All of these items take up space. And I'm not living 6 days without my fancy blower or straightener.. lol. So unless I decide to live with my "stuff", I won't be able to pack it all into a carry-on. But best of luck to those of you who are going to try to bring less on your next trip.

I get a lot of your listed items once I arrive someplace. I have really dry skin and the amount of lotion I need for 2 weeks would take up both of our 3-1-1 bags, so I just buy some when I arrive at my destination. Same with the beverages, booze, snacks, etc. It doesn't cost me any more than it would cost me to buy it at home and drag it halfway around the world. My hair doesn't need a fancy dryer (it would be more accurate to say that no dryer can take on my hair, LOL), so the hotel or ship's dryer is fine. :)

I am hoping to do carry-on only for our family of 4 on our cruise in Dec. We will be flying to FL on the 15th staying with my Dad until cruise on the 19th, arriving back in port on the 24th, flying back home on the 25th. Our sons are 10 and 13, I plan on then wearing nice shorts for dining room, so I am sure a carry-on each for them will be plenty(may even have a little extra room for my overflow), I can do laundry at my dads before cruise. If I allowed it hubby would wear two outfits the whole time! He will have 2 pants, 2 shorts and different shirts for each cruise nite, and a suit for him and the boys. I have to bring a blow dryer, none on our ship, and curling iron, plus make-up. How do you do shampoo, conditioner, styling products, moisturizer, hairspray etc.? Seems it may be cheaper to just check one bag with all that in it than buy it all when I get to FL. What has been others experience with this?

I am hoping to do carry-on only for our family of 4 on our cruise in Dec. We will be flying to FL on the 15th staying with my Dad until cruise on the 19th, arriving back in port on the 24th, flying back home on the 25th. Our sons are 10 and 13, I plan on then wearing nice shorts for dining room, so I am sure a carry-on each for them will be plenty(may even have a little extra room for my overflow), I can do laundry at my dads before cruise. If I allowed it hubby would wear two outfits the whole time! He will have 2 pants, 2 shorts and different shirts for each cruise nite, and a suit for him and the boys. I have to bring a blow dryer, none on our ship, and curling iron, plus make-up. How do you do shampoo, conditioner, styling products, moisturizer, hairspray etc.? Seems it may be cheaper to just check one bag with all that in it than buy it all when I get to FL. What has been others experience with this?

Last time I was in Florida I had rented a car to get to the port from the airport (Orlando to Port Canaveral) so it was easy to stop in a CVS on the way and get what I needed. Prices were comparable to home (LA). If you don't have a rental car you might look at hiring a car service to get you to the port - the driver should be willing to make a detour or stop without an extra charge (a cabbie would keep the meter running).

No hairdryer on the ship? I didn't know any of the mass market lines didn't have them. I've had to ask my cabin steward to bring me one on Paradise, so perhaps they just a few for those who ask for them?

. I have to bring a blow dryer, none on our ship, and curling iron, plus make-up. How do you do shampoo, conditioner, styling products, moisturizer, hairspray etc.? Seems it may be cheaper to just check one bag with all that in it than buy it all when I get to FL. What has been others experience with this?

Travel size toiletries! I even get a little travel size deodorant. Don't forget to check the airline rules about the sizes.

Thanks to everyone. I think we can do it. Crocs has some pretty sandals and they are very light - and just as comfortable as the ugly crocs. We don't drink - but I do want my own water - a couple bottles. The bulky things are my Dh's suit coat and etc - I have to leave room in my bag to help him out. If I wear my heavy shoes and fleece etc onto the plane that will help. I'm blessed with hair that needs only a little sumo wax and air-drying to bring out the curls. However,my daughter wants to be sure I have room to bring back something special for her ;) but if I take old undies and toss them at the end along with the books I'm done with and the space from the snacks I carried on, I should be able to buy a few nice things in the shops - don't you think? I will just have to be careful to only bring mix/match outfits and find ways to make my little black dress look different each night. I'm up to the challenge. Thanks for the encouragement! -Eileen

Thanks to everyone. I think we can do it. Crocs has some pretty sandals and they are very light - and just as comfortable as the ugly crocs. We don't drink - but I do want my own water - a couple bottles. The bulky things are my Dh's suit coat and etc - I have to leave room in my bag to help him out. If I wear my heavy shoes and fleece etc onto the plane that will help. I'm blessed with hair that needs only a little sumo wax and air-drying to bring out the curls. However,my daughter wants to be sure I have room to bring back something special for her ;) but if I take old undies and toss them at the end along with the books I'm done with and the space from the snacks I carried on, I should be able to buy a few nice things in the shops - don't you think? I will just have to be careful to only bring mix/match outfits and find ways to make my little black dress look different each night. I'm up to the challenge. Thanks for the encouragement! -Eileen

All of my undies are old.:o

Good luck with your packing!

Archived