Carnival Victory Review with lots of Photo's--July 5-12, 2009

dz63

Thank you! I have seen mugs with the carnival logo on them, where do you buy those and can you get the soda put in there if you ask?

Normally they will give you soda (they use canned soda by the way) in a disposable plastic cup. But if you give them your own cup and ask them to fill it up, they will do that no problem.

I assume you are thinking of those tall plastic cups that say: "Carnival The Fun Ships" on it. If that's what you are thinking of, you can get those from the pool bar (not sure if the other bars have these particular ones or not). The drink special of the day comes with the special cup--for a cost of $6.95--and you get to keep the cup. You can ask for a different drink if you want and ask them to put it in the souvenir cup. They also had cups that look like the Carnival smokestack.

When you eat in the dining room do you need the soda card, or does the beverage come free at that time with meal? Or do they bill your room for your pop beverages while in the dining room for like dinner?

If you have a soda card, than yes, you do need it the diningroom if you don't want to be billed for it. We did not get the soda cards on this cruise, but we did get it for the boys on our last cruise. After the first night, our waitor remembered that we had the cards and even what soda the boys liked (Mr. Pibb). So when we arrived at the table the next night, the soda was already there.

Remember anything that you order from the bar (including soda and pineapple juice) will be charged to your Sign and Sail card. Apple juice, lemonade, water (not bottled), milk, tea, coffee and cappachino are free.

Thanks so much for this review we leave in 30 days and this is making me so excited!!! you are wonderful to do this! I told my friend that you must be a scrapbooker because you take great pixs of everything just like me!!!:D Thanks again and please keep it coming!

DZ63 - Did you have to pay for loungers at Jalousie and did you have any trouble using the beach by the resort?

We took the Cosol tour in March and he warned us not to purchase the lounge chairs because they were 20 dollars each for the 30 minutes you were there. We just used our towels :-)

Thanks so much for this review we leave in 30 days and this is making me so excited!!! you are wonderful to do this! I told my friend that you must be a scrapbooker because you take great pixs of everything just like me!!!:D Thanks again and please keep it coming!

Yes, I do like to take lots of pictures. I find that over time you forget things and photo's are a wonderful way to keep those memories alive! My boys say I'm as bad as the paparazzi! :rolleyes:

What kind of (underwater) camera did you buy? Did you use it to take your land shots also? Your photos are great.

We had two camera's in use.

The waterproof camera is a Fuji Finepix Z33, the other camera is a Canon Powershot.

I did use the Waterproof camera for land shots too!

July 10

Our tour today began at 9:30 am. We booked the Best of Paradise Island tour with Gordon.

We had no problems finding him on the boardwalk, wearing his straw hat.

On the boardwalk--that’s Gordon in the white shirt!

IMG_0529.jpg

The Carnival Victory and a Pirate Ship from the boardwalk

CarnivalVictoryCruise015.jpg

While we were waiting for everyone on the tour to arrive, we noticed the Carnival Victory was performing a lifeboat check.

IMG_0531.jpg

About 20 minutes later, we boarded Gordon’s bus, along with many other Cruise Critic members. There were some couples from our roll call who booked the Scenic Snorkeling Adventure with Gordon but received the Island Tour with us instead. I don’t know if they were disappointed or not, but at least there were no complaints about who would get Gordon as their guide!

Gordon had a cooler filled with soft drinks and water. He made one stop during the day to purchase more drinks to restock this supply.

As we departed from the cruise ship pier, we drove through St. John’s, the capital of Antigua and passed the monument of V.C. Bird, the first Prime Minister of Antigua and its sister island Barbuda.

IMG_0532.jpg

Our first stop was at St. Barnabus Anglican Church, a historic church in Liberta.

IMG_0536.jpg

As we continued on our way, Gordon pulled over to the side of a road, where we climbed a few stairs to get this view.

IMG_0539.jpg

continues

Next we went to Nelson’s Dockyard—the world’s only remaining Georgian dockyard still in use. We had ½ hour here. After paying the $5.00 admission fee, we were given a “Personal Tour Guide Map”. Since we requested a guided tour of the Dockyard, we were told that our maps were no longer necessary and they were quickly taken away. (We thought that was a little strange). Anyway we followed our guide a short distance, where she stopped and talked a little about the history of Nelson’s Dockyard.

IMG_0557.jpg

It wasn’t long before it started to rain. Our guide told us to look around and we’ll meet back after the rain stops.

We went inside the Admiral’s House which is now a museum and gift shop.

Admiral’s House

IMG_0549.jpg

It didn’t rain long and after investigating the Admiral’s House, our group gathered to continue the tour--but our guide was no where in sight. She had deserted us! So everyone walked around and explored the Dockyard, on their own, without the assistance of a Guide Map!

Personally, I didn’t think there was that much to see at Nelson’s Dockyard. Although the historic buildings depict beautiful Georgian architecture, I thought they would be restored as a museum, showing what they were used for back in the 1700’s. Instead most of the historic buildings were converted into restaurants, hotels, offices or shops.

The Officers Quarters Building now houses a restaurant, pharmacy, art gallery and picture framing shop

IMG_0544.jpg

The Officers Quarters Building and Capstan House from the pier

IMG_0543.jpg

continues

We did walk around the grounds and saw some interesting things, like the massive Camelford Anchor, the three capstans used to remove barnacles from vessels and the Boathouse pillars with wet dock.

This was also interesting--an old cannon sticking out of the ground for decoration

IMG_0546.jpg

One of the Capstans

IMG_0545.jpg

Boathouse Pillars

CarnivalVictoryCruise035.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

It would have been interesting to walk over to Fort Berkeley, but we didn’t have enough time to do that.

On our way out, we asked for a tour guide map. . .now we know what we saw!

continues

Once back on Gordon’s bus, it was a short drive to the Blockhouse. This was a lookout post and stronghold in 1787.

The officer’s quarters and main buildings now lie in ruins.

View from the Blockhouse—we could see Eric Clapton’s house

IMG_0562.jpg

Another beautiful view

IMG_0567.jpg

A large restored gunpowder magazine

IMG_0565.jpg

The cistern and catchment area of the Blockhouse

IMG_0574.jpg

continues

It was another short drive to Shirley Heights, located on the most southerly point on the island.

From here we got a fantastic view of English Harbour—a safe harbour for ships during hurricanes.

IMG_0577.jpg

Gordon told us that every night a large chain would be drawn across the channel from Fort Berkeley. This was done to block ships from entering the harbour. This helped to prevent sieges. I thought that was pretty amazing!

Fort Berkeley

CarnivalVictoryCruise067.jpg

Shirley Heights Guard House

IMG_0579.jpg

continues

Our next stop was Long Bay Beach. We spent 1 ½ hours here.

IMG_0588.jpg

CarnivalVictoryCruise076.jpg

For those that wanted to go snorkeling they had the opportunity to do that here. Even Gordon went snorkeling!

IMG_0592.jpg

Our last stop was Devil’s Bridge located on the Atlantic side of the island.

The surf is very rough here, so Gordon made sure everyone walked where it was safe!

CarnivalVictoryCruise089.jpg

We arrived back at the ship around 4:30 pm.

Gordan and us

IMG_0611.jpg

continues

We had a great day touring the island with Gordon. Gordon was an excellent guide. He kept his eye on everyone in the group and explained points of interest at all the stops. During the course of the day he offered us delicious sour bread with cheese and fresh, juicy pineapple. After our beach stop Gordon wanted to offer us some meat patties, but when he opened up the container, he only had one left. He ended up giving the last meat patty to our youngest son. No one else in our family got a meat patty as he had run out. It is possible that Gordan didn’t have enough meat patties for everyone, but I’m guessing people were helping themselves to them and took more than one. Whatever the case, by the time we arrived back to the ship, everyone was hungry, so it was up to the Lido Deck for lunch.

Looking out towards Antigua from the Mediterranean Restaurant

CarnivalVictoryCruise011.jpg

View of Antigua from the ship—you can easily see the boardwalk from here

CarnivalVictoryCruise102.jpg

Another view of Antigua

IMG_0618.jpg

Like usual, we spent the rest of the afternoon enjoying the Lido Deck amenities.

IMG_0619.jpg

At 7:15 we attended the Past Guest Party in the Caribbean Lounge and from there we went to dinner.

After dinner, my two younger sons and I attended the 10:30 pm show in the Caribbean Lounge. (The other two were tired and stayed behind). Tonight’s show was the magic/comedian show starring Rand Woodbury. My sons wanted to sit right near the front--so they could be picked just in case the magician needed a volunteer. I wasn’t too thrilled to sit right in the front row, because I sure did not want to be picked! Well. . .the boys plan did pay off. Someone did get picked—but luckily it wasn’t me! The magician needed a young boy and a young girl for one of his acts, and my 10 year old was chosen! For his participation in the magic trick, Rand Woodbury gave my son an “authentic 14k gold, plastic ship on a stick!” He was ecstatic! Too bad DH and my 17 year old missed this!

After the show we went up to the Lido Deck.

The Lido Deck at night—my son proudly holds his ship on a stick!

IMG_0621.jpg

Some people recognized my 10 year old son from the show. He was thrilled to be a celebrity!

We came back to our room to find DH and my oldest son fast asleep.

At least this towel dog was still waiting up for us!

CarnivalVictoryCruise105.jpg

Coming up next. . .Our day in St. Kitts

Thanks again for the great review.:D My DW and I have both enjoyed looking forward to reading the next port-of-call each day. We leave on this same itinerary Feb 7, 2010 and are surprising my parents with their 1st cruise for christmas. We have been to the southern caribbean before and have enjoyed reading about the different tours you have been taking. We have always booked excursions from the ship or found a taxi to take us around, so did you book all of your tours from private tour companies? We have always gone for awhile snorkeling at each port, and you seem to have had time at a beach (with the exception of Dominica) each day. Did any of you snorkel at any others, or was Antigua the 1st? How was it; did you see much? Thanks we both agree along with all the others YOU ARE GREAT to be doing all this work and for giving all your feedback:D!!! Happily waiting for the next port.

We had a great day touring the island with Gordon. Gordon was an excellent guide. He kept his eye on everyone in the group and explained points of interest at all the stops.

I am looking for booking Gordon's tour for my October cruise. I just have couple of questions... How long did you spend at the Devil's Gate stop? Were you impressed with it (for me it a "must see" in Antigua)? What do you think of Long Bay beach? Was it crowded? Amenities? Scenery?

Thanks again for taking time to write this review! In the past couple of days I run home after work excited to read about your next stop (you got me addicted to your review as if it was a TV show :)). And your pictures are just fabulous!

When you eat in the dining room do you need the soda card, or does the beverage come free at that time with meal? Or do they bill your room for your pop beverages while in the dining room for like dinner?

If you have a fountain card you can use it in the dining rooms. I do all the time.

If you do not have one the Cokes will be billed to your S&S card.

They are not provided for free in the dining rooms.

Thanks again for the great review.:D My DW and I have both enjoyed looking forward to reading the next port-of-call each day. We leave on this same itinerary Feb 7, 2010 and are surprising my parents with their 1st cruise for christmas. We have been to the southern caribbean before and have enjoyed reading about the different tours you have been taking. We have always booked excursions from the ship or found a taxi to take us around, so did you book all of your tours from private tour companies? We have always gone for awhile snorkeling at each port, and you seem to have had time at a beach (with the exception of Dominica) each day. Did any of you snorkel at any others, or was Antigua the 1st? How was it; did you see much? Thanks we both agree along with all the others YOU ARE GREAT to be doing all this work and for giving all your feedback:D!!! Happily waiting for the next port.

Yes, we booked all our shore excursions through private tour companies.

We are not snorkelers, but Sapphire and Coki Beach in St. Thomas offer excellent snorkeling opportunities. Also Jalouise Beach in St. Lucia was another beach with great snorkeling.

Archived