Carnival Victory Review with lots of Photo's--July 5-12, 2009

dz63

The road signs were in Spanish, and the traffic was pretty heavy, but we didn't find it difficult to navigate around the island. Oeste = West, Este = East, Norte = North, Sud = South. We did not know any Spanish and found our way around pretty well.

Are you saying that there are no English signs in Puerto Rico:confused:

If I remember correctly, all of the signs are in Spanish. I know the road signs were. Click on this link for some photos of the road signs.

http://www.hawaiihighways.com/Puerto-Rico-page2.html

• 2 weeks later...

DZ63,

Thanks so much for the review. I just read this on New Years morning...what a great way to begin the new year. We have a group of 30 sailing on the Victory 1/17/10, and your wonderful review and pics have really helped! Although we have most of our shore excursions planned, I now have a much better idea what to expect on each island.

Thanks again!

rb

DZ63,

Thanks so much for the review. I just read this on New Years morning...what a great way to begin the new year. We have a group of 30 sailing on the Victory 1/17/10, and your wonderful review and pics have really helped! Although we have most of our shore excursions planned, I now have a much better idea what to expect on each island.

Thanks again!

rb

Hi Ridgerunner travel-

Come & join our roll call for the Victory!!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=740620&page=16

I have a group of 34 going on the Victory 1/17/10!!!

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

Loved the review. We're taking our first cruise on the Victory July 4, 2010 with our two boys (7 and 3), my mom and stepdad and several of their friends and family. Most of them are veterans but this is our first! Loved hearing about the trip, but it had to be exhausting! I'm trying to pace myself so we don't do something big on each port! It can get really expensive and really exhausting I'm guessing!

• 2 weeks later...

How did you book this excursion?

July 14

This morning, we get up early (8:00 am), grab another delicious hot breakfast at the buffet and then pile into the Nissan Versa for a trip to El Yunque. You really need a rental car to see the sights in Puerto Rico. The roads are well marked and we found the island easy to navigate.

We are on the road by 9:30 am and traffic is light. By 10:30 am we arrive at the El Yunque national forest on PR 191.

The entrance to El Yunque National Forest

CarnivalVictoryCruise178.jpg

The park is open from 7:30 am – 6:00 pm daily. There is no entrance fee. We have read that if you want to climb to the peak, you need to get there by noon—otherwise clouds will roll in and block the panoramic view.

Glimpses of sunshine break through the tree shaded, narrow, winding road. Up, up, up we go. The scenery is spectacular. It is like driving in the jungle, except the road is smooth and paved. We head straight to the top and park on side road 930, near km 13.

Driving up Route 191

CarnivalVictoryCruise180.jpg

We park the car at the base of the Mount Britton trail, stuff some water bottles into our knapsack and begin the steep climb.

There are only a handful of cars parked here.

The boys can’t resist walking across the fallen trees that cross the parking area.

CarnivalVictoryCruise182.jpg

The trail is cement with embedded stones. It is a fairly easy trail and not too difficult for us to climb. The lush soil is home to a diverse variety of plants.

Ferns abound everywhere. Fortunately, the sun is shining and the weather is perfect for our climb.

I race up the trail with the boys, eager to get to the peak. . .

CarnivalVictoryCruise185.jpg

. . .while DW takes the time to absorb the sights and tranquility of the beautiful rain forest.

CarnivalVictoryCruise197.jpg

Continues…

How did you book this excursion?

We did not book anything prior to this excursion. We simply rented a car and toured El Yunque on our own.

If you are reluctant to do this excursion on your own, there are tour companies that you can pre-book with.

• 3 weeks later...

dz63

Great review of your family cruise on the Victory. It sounds like you did a lot of research and planning prior to your cruise. Pictures are great!!!

So nice to know that you spent quality time with your boys. They grow up so fast. We are going on the Victory in May and can't wait. Your review just makes it more exciting. Thank you again.

What a great review! Will be going on the Victory in April. How was the food?

We thought the food was great and plentiful. Everything we had was very good and tasteful.

Hi - wonderful posts on your trip! We go in 2 weeks - can't wait! Do you know if the waterslide is open while in port?

Yes, the waterslide is open on port days from 12:00 noon to 5:00 pm. However, the waterslide was not opened on embarkation/debarkation day, in San Juan.

dz63

Great review of your family cruise on the Victory. It sounds like you did a lot of research and planning prior to your cruise. Pictures are great!!!

So nice to know that you spent quality time with your boys. They grow up so fast. We are going on the Victory in May and can't wait. Your review just makes it more exciting. Thank you again.

Thank you so much for your comments. I am sure you will have a wonderful time on the Victory.

Coming up in the near future. . .YouTube videos of our Carnival Cruise vacation will be posted soon--just when you thought there would be no more! ;)

Our cabin was on the port side of the ship. With the exception of St. Lucia, our cabin faced the dock at every port.

I called Carnival to ask which side of the ship was more often going to be facing the ports and was told Starboard, so booked a Starboard cabin.

Quite bummed to see I was given misinformation. We sail in April and I wonder if I can get the cabin changed without additional cost to one on the other side given that it was there information that had me picking the wrong side. Has anyone any idea here?

Remember anything that you order from the bar (including soda and pineapple juice) will be charged to your Sign and Sail card. Apple juice, lemonade, water (not bottled), milk, tea, coffee and cappachino are free.

Are you sure cappachino is free? And what is the reason apple juice is free but pineapple juice has a charge? Are cranberry and orange juices free or for a charge as those are the two I usually drink?

Also, what is the customary tipping for tour guides when you book your own tours?

That was a wonderful vacation you had! Thanks for sharing.

I have been looking at this itinerary for some time now, but the cost for airfare from Toronto to San Juan is very expensive.

The Victory looks like a nice ship, and I'm glad you mentioned the Seven Seas theme. All Carnival ships have a theme and we hardly, if at all hear about the theme of the ship on Cruise Critic.

Anyhow, it was an excellent pictorial, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Are you sure cappachino is free? And what is the reason apple juice is free but pineapple juice has a charge? Are cranberry and orange juices free or for a charge as those are the two I usually drink?

Also, what is the customary tipping for tour guides when you book your own tours?

Yes, cappachino and ice tea is free in the diningroom. Pineapple juice has a charge because it is considered a bar drink. For some reason apple juice is free as your diningroom waitor/waitress can serve this to you. We never ordered cranberry juice but I heard that it is available from the bar, which means there would be a charge for this. Orange juice, apple juice and a guava punch is available in the self-serve drink machine for breakfast. After breakfast these drinks are replaced with lemonade and ice tea. However, I am pretty certain, that a soda card will allow you to get any juice, (ie: cranberry, orange, apple, pineapple, tomato. . .) any time of the day from the bar.

The amount you wish to tip your guides on a excursion is really up to your discretion--however, we usually tipped around $20.00.

Hope this information helps!

That was a wonderful vacation you had! Thanks for sharing.

I have been looking at this itinerary for some time now, but the cost for airfare from Toronto to San Juan is very expensive.

The Victory looks like a nice ship, and I'm glad you mentioned the Seven Seas theme. All Carnival ships have a theme and we hardly, if at all hear about the theme of the ship on Cruise Critic.

Anyhow, it was an excellent pictorial, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Thank you for sharing your kind words.

Just like you, we had been eyeing the Southern Caribbean itinerary for a while. but also being from Southern Ontario, we found the flights from Toronto to San Juan to be very expensive. With some research we discovered that we could fly out of Detroit, Michigan much more reasonably--about 1/2 the price--now this cruise suddenly became a reality!

I called Carnival to ask which side of the ship was more often going to be facing the ports and was told Starboard, so booked a Starboard cabin.

Quite bummed to see I was given misinformation. We sail in April and I wonder if I can get the cabin changed without additional cost to one on the other side given that it was there information that had me picking the wrong side. Has anyone any idea here?

We were originally booked port side at the recommendation of our PVP, but then we ended up starboard when we upgraded to a suite. This is how it ended up for us...

San Juan - We were NOT facing the port, but we got to see Puerto Rico, including the El Morro fort as we rounded it at sailaway.

St. Thomas - We faced the port, which may not have been the best view, but we could see the shops and some of the island and watch people come and go. We went to the stern for sailaway as this was the BEST place to see this gorgeous island as you leave it.

Dominica - We did NOT face the port, but we could still see much of the island, and coming in in the morning was fabulous.

Barbados - We did NOT face the port, but then, we docked in a big "U" area, so we faced inside the U away from the actual port but looking towards the terminal and another ship. Either way the view there isn't great. You have to get away from the port to see the beauty of this island.

St. Lucia - We DID face the port. We still had some island view and could watch people come and go.

St. Kitts - We did NOT face the port, but we could see the Southern end of the island and Nevis.

St. Maarten - We did NOT face the port. It wasn't the best view. We could see part of the island, but also the shipping yard with vehicles and containers. We went up for sailaway.

I understand that at some of these ports they don't always face the same way every time.

We enjoyed starboard side and the best part was that when we rounded the south end of St. Lucia early in the morning we could see the Pitons. You will not get that port side. We also passed islands in the morning heading north to St. Kitts, and St. Maarten that we wouldn't have seen port side. You know, honestly, I don't that it makes a big difference on this cruise. 6 of one, half dozen of another. :)

Did you get sea sick on the Victory?

No one in our family got sea sick on the Victory. However, we did notice that the Victory did seem to get a bit "rocky" in the evening. To us, it was most noticeable during dinner in the Pacific Dining Room, located aft of the ship. However, the rockiness wasn't that bad. We brought sea bands with us and even packed Bonamine, but never had the need to use it.

Archived