Boston - first time pre-cruise looking for ideas

jmraggs

We are going to Boston for the first time before an October Cruise and we are looking for things to see, good reasonable seafood restaurants to eat at etc.

I know there is the Freedom trail which we plan on doing, but besides that I am not sure of the other items to look at or visit that would be of good interest.

Thanks!

Legal Seafood has excellent food and is reasonably priced. There is also the Barking Crab. Where are you going to be staying. There are probably some within walking distance of your hotel. Fenway Park offers tours. Public Gardens has a swan boat ride. North End has great italian food. Fanieul Hall, Quincy Market is a great place to walk around. Durgin Park is a unique dining experience. New England Aquarium is on the water front.

Legal Seafood has excellent food and is reasonably priced. There is also the Barking Crab. Where are you going to be staying. There are probably some within walking distance of your hotel. Fenway Park offers tours. Public Gardens has a swan boat ride. North End has great italian food. Fanieul Hall, Quincy Market is a great place to walk around. Durgin Park is a unique dining experience. New England Aquarium is on the water front.

We are staying in Back Bay in a BB by the Medical University I believe.

Hello,

We are staying at the Wyndham Chelsea hotel near the airport. I am traveling with my elderly parents.

Will there be any good restaurants near this hotel?

Is there any sites we should take in the morning of the RCCL cruise?

I am hoping to take our luggage to the pier and checking it in and then take a tour before boarding time. Is this possible?

Thank you, Janice

We are staying in Back Bay in a BB by the Medical University I believe.

Back Bay helps, but Medical University doesn't. There are so many colleges and universities and hospitals in town its hard to pinpoint.

Boston offers a Duck Tour of the city. It is fun and touristy, but a neat way to spend some time. You get a tour and brief overview of the city and see some landmarks from both the land and water. It can be picked up at the Prudential Center (closest to Back Bay) or the Science Museum and can be pretty fun. Prudential Center will also have Legal Seafood, Cheesecake Factory and some others as well to eat at after you finish the tour.

You can take the T or walk or a cab to Faniuel Hall (depending on where you are staying). There are lots of retaurants there and things to do - Hard Rock Cafe, Cheers, Dick's Last Resort, Durgin Park, Union Oyster House, Pizzaria Regina, many many others. Bars are there as well, Purple Shamrock, Bell In Hand. You can walk over to the North End and see Paul Revere's house, Old North Church and then get a canoli at Mike's on Hanover St. Freedom Trail should take you to the area if you stay with it. If you want some great italian food, walk the streets in the North End, even just stay on Hanover St. and find one you can get into and they will have some great food.

Newbury Street in the Back Bay is a trendy boutique, cafe type shopping street. High end stuff.

Hello,

We are staying at the Wyndham Chelsea hotel near the airport. I am traveling with my elderly parents.

Will there be any good restaurants near this hotel?

Is there any sites we should take in the morning of the RCCL cruise?

I am hoping to take our luggage to the pier and checking it in and then take a tour before boarding time. Is this possible?

Thank you, Janice

Sorry, I am not as familiar with Chelsea. You are just outside the city proper on Route 1. 10 mins or so away by cab. You could easily take a taxi into the city and hit the North End for some great italian food or there is a Ruth's Chris steak house. There are some great smaller restaurants, but I am not quite sure of names and only know them more by walking and finding them. You could visit the USS Constitution prior to your cruise or the Bunker Hill monument. The Old North Church (1 if by land 2 if by sea) is nearby as well.

Every local knows this place, I'm sure - I went last October - for the BEST fish and chips (not to mention lobster) do try this place at 15 and a half Pier! We ate upstairs at long tables and it was probably the best fish and chips I ever had - be hungry when you go!! Scrumptious!!

Back Bay helps, but Medical University doesn't. There are so many colleges and universities and hospitals in town its hard to pinpoint.

What do I know, I am just a tourist!:D Thanks for some of the great ideas. I looked it up and it says Boston University Medical Campus on East Concord Street. The Duck tour sounds interesting and fun!

What do I know, I am just a tourist!:D Thanks for some of the great ideas. I looked it up and it says Boston University Medical Campus on East Concord Street. The Duck tour sounds interesting and fun!

http://www.bostonducktours.com/ :D That helps even more. You are not really in the heart of the "stuff". You are a decent walk or a t-ride away from the Pru - I would probably cab it, unless you feel like walking. You are closer to the Pru than the Museum of Science though, so that is where you would want to get the tour from. Check the website for hours and such. It is a good time. You will see the duck boats all over the place. Have fun!

If you are interested in another "tour" this is a nighttime one. I have not done this though.

http://www.ghostsandgravestones.com/boston.htm

Do you like beer? Sam Adams brewery offers tours as well. That may be closer to where you are too.

Do you like beer? Sam Adams brewery offers tours as well. That may be closer to where you are too.

http://www.samueladams.com/

Little things of note. Over in the area near Commonwealth Avenue, Prudential, etc. you will see the street names are alphabetical Clarendon, Dartmouth, Exeter, etc. They also only go one way each and alternating every other street.

http://www.samueladams.com/

Little things of note. Over in the area near Commonwealth Avenue, Prudential, etc. you will see the street names are alphabetical Clarendon, Dartmouth, Exeter, etc. They also only go one way each and alternating every other street.

Fantastic! Sam Adams will be a must! I don't plan on driving as we'll either walk or take the "T" around the area.

Do you happen to know if the brewery is within walking distance of any of the hop-on/hop-off trolley stops?

I've read a number of reviews -- including very consistent directions on how to get there by subway -- but it sounds like the area is out of the way, meaning one would have to take (or switch to) the T to get there...?

TheWog - Hi!! I haven't seen you on these boards in a long time!

Not much to add to anything, just that I will be in Boston on Friday and I'm really excited about having a full day to spend exploring before we fly out to San Juan on Saturday.

Love Sam Adam's beer - I'll have to plan on having one with lunch.

I appreciate all the help that everyone has given in these past months on what to do and see. I've only been in Boston once (took the t to Harvard) ... I could so live there, its beautiful.

Thanks again for all the help. Jan

citiguy300 - the Sam Adams brewery is out of the way. You'd have to take a cab or the "T".

Thanks 138east, I thought that would be the case. I guess if I want to do it I'll have to see if any of the trolley stops I'll be hitting are near a T station (ideally for the Orange line, as the directions say the Stony Brook stop).

If our ship docks at the Black Falcon Pier, how do we get to the NE Aquarium? Do we need to take a taxi, or can we walk?

MARAPRINCE

If our ship docks at the Black Falcon Pier, how do we get to the NE Aquarium? Do we need to take a taxi, or can we walk?

MARAPRINCE

I think walking would be a bit too far. Taxi should be relatively cheap and get you there quickly. There is a new sea lion tank/exhibit that just opened up. it is outdoors and is supposed to be pretty neat. Have a great time you will enjoy it. Legal Seafood is a delicious local restaurant that has many locations now, so it is almost sort of a chain, but it is located just across from the aquarium and you can get a great bowl of clam chowder there.

TheWog - Hi!! I haven't seen you on these boards in a long time!

Not much to add to anything, just that I will be in Boston on Friday and I'm really excited about having a full day to spend exploring before we fly out to San Juan on Saturday.

Love Sam Adam's beer - I'll have to plan on having one with lunch.

I appreciate all the help that everyone has given in these past months on what to do and see. I've only been in Boston once (took the t to Harvard) ... I could so live there, its beautiful.

Thanks again for all the help. Jan

Hey Jan. Yes, I've been away for a bit, but able to come back now periodically. I may be looking into a NCL cruise, so need to get info about them. Don't know much, but am learning. Have a great time on your trip. have you decided on what you are doing in town?

I have to say a spin around the pond on the swan boats is really a fun time. I remember doing that as a kid so many times. We lived just across the street from the public gardens so it was easy to do. Also, swimming or playing in the water in the common when it was really hot. I remember those things clearly. Swan boats are sentimental to me, but they are a real piece of Boston history. I forget how old they are, but they are old.

Do you happen to know if the brewery is within walking distance of any of the hop-on/hop-off trolley stops?

I've read a number of reviews -- including very consistent directions on how to get there by subway -- but it sounds like the area is out of the way, meaning one would have to take (or switch to) the T to get there...?

Looks like you got your answer, but I too was going to say, no it is not really a walking distance area. A taxi would be my choice, but the T will get you there as well. Depends on your time issues for the day.

Hey Jan. Yes, I've been away for a bit, but able to come back now periodically. I may be looking into a NCL cruise, so need to get info about them. Don't know much, but am learning. Have a great time on your trip. have you decided on what you are doing in town?

I have to say a spin around the pond on the swan boats is really a fun time. I remember doing that as a kid so many times. We lived just across the street from the public gardens so it was easy to do. Also, swimming or playing in the water in the common when it was really hot. I remember those things clearly. Swan boats are sentimental to me, but they are a real piece of Boston history. I forget how old they are, but they are old.

I'm hoping that Friday brings blue skies and nice temps. We really would like to spend the day walking the Freedom Trail (I have maps, and will gather more while there). Usually we are so busy trying to rush somewhere else that we don't take the time to explore Boston. It is a beautiful area, and I'm really looking forward to being a tourist for a day. I am so excited about this newest adventure. Jan

I'm hoping that Friday brings blue skies and nice temps. We really would like to spend the day walking the Freedom Trail (I have maps, and will gather more while there). Usually we are so busy trying to rush somewhere else that we don't take the time to explore Boston. It is a beautiful area, and I'm really looking forward to being a tourist for a day. I am so excited about this newest adventure. Jan

Sounds great. Enjoy your time. I hope the weather holds for you - I think it should. The Yankees are in town, so expect some additional people in the area.

I think walking would be a bit too far. Taxi should be relatively cheap and get you there quickly. There is a new sea lion tank/exhibit that just opened up. it is outdoors and is supposed to be pretty neat. Have a great time you will enjoy it. Legal Seafood is a delicious local restaurant that has many locations now, so it is almost sort of a chain, but it is located just across from the aquarium and you can get a great bowl of clam chowder there.

So a taxi is the best way. We arrive on a Sunday, October 11, so I guess the Aquarium will be open to about 5 or 6 PM? That would give us several hours to spend there.

MARAPRINCE

Archived