Roussillion France

sheffer

Has anyone visited the Luberon region, specifically the Provencal town of Roussillon? It looks beautiful. There is an 8 hour tour from Marseille which includes lunch in Roussillon. Wondering how far it is from Marseilles.

There are many attractive towns and villages in this area and Roussillon is only one of them. Others include Gordes, Murs, Fontaines de Vaucluse, Menerbes, Ansouis etc none of which should be far from Roussillon and may also be included in your tour. Depending on the time of year, you might see acres of lavender in the area around Apt which is also quite close.

Due to the ochre deposits in the ground around Rousillon, many of the rocks are shades of ochre, red, orange and everything inbetween and there are some oddly shaped rock formations too. They are especially intense and beautiful when the sun shines on them. It is quite touristy and fairly busy due to the beauty of the area but hopefully not overly so.

Not sure if you ever read or heard of Peter Mayle? Many years ago he wrote "A Year in Provence" which was a best seller. At that time I believe he lived in or close to Menerbes or Bonnieux.

You should be able to google more info on the area (and Peter Mayle) including distance from Marseille, but I am guessing maybe one hour max if you are driving directly there with no stops.

Roussillon is beautiful! It's especially interesting if you are "into" painting, as you can buy sample-sized containers of the actual ocher from the area. We didn't have lunch there, but we had some wonderful ice cream! With luck your tour will also include the Abbey at Senanque, where the lavendar is truly amazing, in a beautiful setting. Edinburgher is right, there are lots of truly beautiful places in the area. The town of Luberon (or it may be Lumeron -- I can't remember exactly nor access my maps right now -- itself is quite lovely as well, and would probably be on a tour. To the best of my recollection, an hour or so from Marseilles would be right, but if you're doing an 8-hour tour, there will be plenty of other stops. Be sure and take a camera.

• 8 months later...

Sheffer -

I think I saw your name on the roll call list for the Crown Princess. We are on the same cruise!

Roussillon is fabulous, but I didn't see it on the list of tours offered by Princess. Are you going on a private tour?

Ilene

Has anyone visited the Luberon region, specifically the Provencal town of Roussillon? It looks beautiful. There is an 8 hour tour from Marseille which includes lunch in Roussillon. Wondering how far it is from Marseilles.

Per MapQuest.com, it would take 1 hour 23 minutes to drive those 64.50 miles between Marseilles and Roussillon. Hopefully, you would see some other great Provence sights and sites as you go there and back. What else are they offering or planning on this tour? Provence is super wonderful!!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived