Welcome party in Neptune

DaveOKC

Its been a couple of years since we cruised in a suite with HAL and I was wondering if they still have the Welcome party the first evening in the Neptune Lounge? If so, does anyone know what time it usually is? We are on the Volendam departing Sept 16 out of Vancouver to AK.

DaveOKC

Almost all cruises, there is a Suite Welcome Aboard Party in Neptune the first night. Once in a while, they are not able to do it if Captain needs to be on the bridge or such but that is rare.

It usually is called for 7:15 or 7:30. After dinner drinks for early seating and before dinner cocktails for later seatings.

We always enjoy that party.....

Maasdam on recent cruises has also been having a Farewell Party the last night. That is even more fun because by then we've met lots of folks during the cruise. We also had a Farewell Party on Eurodam in March. Very nice!

There is still a Suite Welcome Aboard cocktail party.

Some times we have it in the Npetune Lounge and other times in the Crow's Nest.

Sometimes they were from 7:30 - 8:15 -- other times 7:15 - 8.

A couple of times because of itinerary we did not have one the first night -- instead we had it at noon the next day in the Npetune Lounge.

WOW - you guys are fast at responding!! I always enjoyed this party and my 85 year old mother will definately love it - she likes to have a beer or two and talk to other people. We really wanted her to experience the "suite life" as the other cruises she has been on were inside cabins.

We picked Open dining this time and that will work out well with this party.

Thanks everyone.

DaveOKC

S7S - thats great to know. I already ordered her a "Welcome Aboard" 6 pack of Miller Lite for the first day. I think she will really enjoy sitting on the veranda with a cold one watching the AK scenery. She will also enjoy the great staff on HAL and since we are right across the hall from the Neptune Lounge I am sure she will be in there often for coffee and snacks.

Meeting the Officers at the party will be a treat for her I am sure.

She can get around fairly well, but not for long distances, so this is another reason I selected the Volendam - easier to get around. There are no tender stops on this trip, so that was a big plus for her.

I am not sure how she will react to Open dining, as she likes the idea of having the same staff everyday wait on her. However, we are in ports late several days and I did not want to commit to early dining time. I figure we can always book the earlier dining times in Open Seating and go to the Pinnacle a couple of times.

I know she will like the idea of the Kings room for breakfast. They always take special care of you in there.

Does anyone have any other ideas/benefits that she might enjoy being in the suite? My wife and I want this to be a special trip for her as you never know how long she still will be able to travel comfortably.

Thanks for all your help - DaveOKC

If your mother would enjoy it, ask the concierge to have hot hors d'ouerves //canapes sent to the cabin each late afternoon for her to enjoy on the veranda. Bring her a nice piece of homemade chocolate from Neptune Lounge. :)

Order Room Service breakfast one morning as a variety from going to King's Room/Pinnacle, whichever they use for Suite breakfast.

Maybe make a hair appointment for her to go to the salon and be pampered a bit.

Most of all, enjoy.

In one of the smaller storage cabinets -- check for the wool blankets that your mother can cover herself with while out on the verandah -- we have had red plaid, green plaid, just gren and just plain blue -- they are lovely.

If you don't find them -- ask either your cabin steward for them or your concierge.

Being that we are late in the season there are only one or no other ships in our ports the day we are there. That should help getting around.

Thanks for all the tips.

By the way - the Miller Lite is through ships services so we are legal! Now my wine is another story..............

DaveOKC

Being that we are late in the season there are only one or no other ships in our ports the day we are there. That should help getting around.

Thanks for all the tips.

By the way - the Miller Lite is through ships services so we are legal! Now my wine is another story..............

DaveOKC

Why would wine be a problem??

You can take as much on board as you want!!

Now in Alaska -- it is esxpensive -- but shop before you get on the ship.

KK - we are taking a train tour from the dock in Skagway, leaving at Noon so that we can take our time getting breakfast, etc, so that should not be a problem. It looked like Chillkoot tours had a nice 4 hour tour that should be fine with Mom along.

THe wine - I know you can take all you want, so I was just kidding a bit. I will get some in Vancouver (but I hear it is expensive there as well) and probably pick up more in Juneau (our first port). Plus I understand that we can swap the welcome aboard champ. for a bottle, so that should cover it. My wife will only drink White Zin and is not a big drinker, so I do not need too much for just me. Of course, traveling with my Wife and Mother may cause me to drink a bit more than normal!! Its a good thing I am a bit hard of hearing!

DaveOKC

Everything in Jueanu because everything has to br brought in by either boat or train -- there are no roads to Juneau.

Skagway -- the train -- love it -- have done it a couple of times!! Great tour. We are going to do it again next year.

If you swap the Welcome Aboard champagne -- but check on what brand you get in the suite and what the "switch" price will be.

About 98% of the time we get a cheap brand of free champagne and when we swap it for something we like -- it usually costs us an extra $19 or more plus gratuity.

Dave

I was joking about the Miller Lite.

Your mom deserves a better tasting beer than Miller Lite can provide.:)

Enjoy your cruise.Rich

While I preferred the old Miller High Life, as I passed 60, it was more prudent to imbibe Miller Lite ... while I am not a beer connoisseur, it sure tastes good to me.

harry

Mudscrapper - I gave her the choice of all the beers on the ship services menu, as she likes Michelob Light but they do not have it onboard. She used to drink Miller in the old days, so she is used to it I guess.

DaveOKC

Archived