VIP boarding with family group?

KNITWITS

:confused:This will be DH and my 2nd Platinum cruise and we have booked 2 extra cabins for our sons and 2 grandkids. I really never paid much attention to the VIP lines before and don't know if everyone boards together and I forgot to ask at the time I booked.:confused:

Really depends. We sailed out of Port Everglades in March and had 3 friends with us that were booked in the cabin next door. They allowed us to all go in the VIP section together. Then, as luck would have it, someone screwed up that day and boarded everyone BUT the VIP section! Even those needing assistance were forgotten. I put that in my letter to Carnival along with the good stuff, but it did not impact my cruise in any way :)

Each port is a little different.

The rule of thumb is:

anyone actually listed IN YOUR CABIN OR MINOR CHILDREN sailing with you

(for example....some parents get a Balcony cabin and put the minor children in an interior across the hallway). All their Sail and Sign cards will be grouped with a rubber band.

If your two sons are grown (which I am assuming they are since you said "grandchildren" as well) .... then they would go through the regular line since their cards will not have been pulled and placed with yours.

At some ports the cards being in different places is not a big deal. Like the EARLY Check In at Long Beach....everyone uses the same counter.

However, at some ports....the Sail and Sign cards for non=vip are literally across a good size room (like Miami) and they will tell you no in a heartbeat.

This was our experience in Ft. Lauderdale in Dec. of 2007. No one was actually VIP but we had someone in a wheelchair with us. We had 5 cabins booked, all booking numbers linked. We were all allowed to go to the front of the line and go thru the 1st security checkpoint together but when we got to actually check in we were separated. Only the 2 booked in the handicap cabin and the 2 minors with them that were booked in a separate cabin were allowed go on thru priority check in and boarding. The rest of us went thru regular check in.

We have sailed three times as platinum with my parents in a separate cabin who are not platinum and each time they have had to board separately. They always accompany us to the VIP line only to be told they have to go to the main line to check-in since VIP does not have their documents. Once we were able to meet up right before boarding and they followed us right on but mostly they have just met us once onboard.

Thanks everyone. I forgot about early check-in at Longbeach-that would probably be the way to go. My two younger sons are in early 20's and probably would be ok in the regular line to meet us later, but my oldest would have the two kids with him and standing in a long line I know that at least one of them would need to be taken to the bathroom or get interested in going to "just look" at something. They're good kids, but very curious about everything and it'll be their first big adventure away from home.:)

Archived