Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

I am sorry if this question has been asked already. So many threads to go thru. We are going on Grandeur out of Ft. Lauderdale next wk and taking a taxi from the airport to the port. We arrive at FLL at about 1015am and was wondering Where is the closest Publix or Winn-dixie is to stop at for water and juice? I know the ride is only about 5 mins. from the airport to the port. I am somewhat familiar with the area. I visit Dania Beach once a yr. Thanks in advance for the info. Awesome info already read :)

Both stores are on SE 17th St. There is also a Winn-Dixie on S.R. 84 at SW 9th Ave, closeby. No stores are on the way directly, as you would normally use the south port entrance at the end of I595.

Is there a limo/car service one can reserve in advance for pick-up at Port Everglades at a specified time? We will be leaving our car at the Hampton Inn in Plantation and would like to arrange transportation back to the hotel at an exact time. We've stayed at this Hampton several times (love the hotel) when cruising and although they will pick us up free the last time (this April) we had to wait 2 hours for the van to arrive. Since we have a 10 hour car ride ahead of us getting that late of a start is really difficult. There will be at least 4 of us, perhaps more.

Thanks in advance - I tried the search function but we all know how well that works.

SAS 954-600-0240

Larry's Limos 1-800-611-6631

Fort Lauderdale shuttles 754-246-1111

Qualitylimo.com

Here are the reviews for the Comfort Inn, very mixed:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34296-d84582-Reviews-Comfort_Inn_Airport_Cruise_Port_South-Hollywood_Florida.html

It is walking distance to Oakwood Plaza for food and shopping. If you are going to be spending the day or evening in the neighborhood as opposed to just getting in late and sleeping, I much prefer the 17th St neighborhood for restaurants, wine store, easy access to beach/port.

Thanks so much for your reply. It's interesting but only one mentioned on Comfort Inn Trip Adviser the address because I kept getting the Comfort Suites which is very close to the pier. The Inn is in Hollywood so because of that I am switching my safety hotel to Extended Stay even though shuttle and breakfast is not included.

What do you figure the taxi will be from the airport to the Extended Stay hotel on 17th st.:confused:

Thanks again Royal Cruz

I could read through all 503 posts, but......

On July 7 (Wednesday), myself and 13 gals will be staying at the Hyatt Place Airport North for one night pre-cruise (Grandeur of the Seas). I would like to make arrangements for the 14 of us to have dinner and drinks together that night, near the hotel if possible. Nothing terribly expensive, lots of variety, w/cocktails. Walking distance is a bonus.

I've looked at the restaurants listed on the hotel's website, (Moe's, Kelly's Landing, Outback, Hops, etc). Hops is about the only place that would fit the bill except it appears they only have beer/wine.

Is there another similar type restaurant that serves cocktails where 14 women embarking on an all girls cruise can start their adventure?

Thanks!!!

Cathy

Thanks so much for your reply. It's interesting but only one mentioned on Comfort Inn Trip Adviser the address because I kept getting the Comfort Suites which is very close to the pier. The Inn is in Hollywood so because of that I am switching my safety hotel to Extended Stay even though shuttle and breakfast is not included.

What do you figure the taxi will be from the airport to the Extended Stay hotel on 17th st.:confused:

Thanks again Royal Cruz

Less than $20 with tip! Did you also check rates at Holiday Inn Express Convention Center and Hyatt Place FLL North (Valuetrips.com has good prices on HP)? They are in the same neighborhood as Extended Stay and have good reviews and breakfast.

On July 7 (Wednesday), myself and 13 gals will be staying at the Hyatt Place Airport North for one night pre-cruise (Grandeur of the Seas). I would like to make arrangements for the 14 of us to have dinner and drinks together that night, near the hotel if possible. Nothing terribly expensive, lots of variety, w/cocktails. Walking distance is a bonus.

I've looked at the restaurants listed on the hotel's website, (Moe's, Kelly's Landing, Outback, Hops, etc). Hops is about the only place that would fit the bill except it appears they only have beer/wine.

Is there another similar type restaurant that serves cocktails where 14 women embarking on an all girls cruise can start their adventure?

Thanks!!!

Cathy

Hops actually closed about 4 years ago! The others are still open. Duffy's just opened in the Harbor Shops. It is a large sports bar, kitchen open late, full bar, inexpensive good food. They mostly have booths but have 2 areas where they can set up a large table, so call and see if you can reserve a large table in advance. It's no more than a 2 block walk. Have a great time!

Thanks!!!

Cathy

Here is one that is right down the street within walking distance Bimini Boatyard Bar and Grill on 17th St. http://www.biminiboatyard.com/index.cfm?myPath=content/location.html&sub=location

Map - http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=1851+Southeast+10th+Avenue,+Fort+Lauderdale,+FL&daddr=1555+Southeast+17th+Street,+Fort+Lauderdale,+FL&hl=en&geocode=FRI5jgEdT0M5-yljeYXeZQDZiDF5OSOQ6UuOtw%3BFYlJjgEd_185-ynjJoEfagDZiDFa9FLGoc3Hbw&gl=us&mra=ls&dirflg=w&sll=26.099145,-80.12916&sspn=0.005347,0.011319&ie=UTF8&ll=26.099251,-80.129321&spn=0.005347,0.011319&t=h&z=17

Menu - http://www.biminiboatyard.com/menus/dinner.pdf

Goodluck hope this helps.:D

I checked our local Costco and also Costco.com for the gift certificates for Hyatt Hotels and they said they had them at Christmas but not now. Does anyone know if they are still available now and where? I would sure like to save $20 on my room if possible.

Hops actually closed about 4 years ago! The others are still open. Duffy's just opened in the Harbor Shops. It is a large sports bar, kitchen open late, full bar, inexpensive good food. They mostly have booths but have 2 areas where they can set up a large table, so call and see if you can reserve a large table in advance. It's no more than a 2 block walk. Have a great time!

Duffy's is EXACTLY what I was looking for!!!! Thank you so much. I'll give them a call a couple of weeks before we go to see if they can accommodate us. The menu looks awesome (so does Happy Hour)!

Thanks again!

Cathy

I checked our local Costco and also Costco.com for the gift certificates for Hyatt Hotels and they said they had them at Christmas but not now. Does anyone know if they are still available now and where? I would sure like to save $20 on my room if possible.

I was able to purchase gift cards March 2010. Used to pay Hyatt Place bill. Great Savings!!

They have them here in cincinnati ohio at our costco was just there and bought mine.

Hi, Royalcruz. Thanks for answering all our questions! We are booked in December at the Extended Stay America, and I see from a recent post where you mentioned a good rate at Hyatt Place. I found it and it's $25 more than the Extended Stay. Just wondering which one is closer to the Total Wine and Publix?

Thanks!

Hi, Royalcruz. Thanks for answering all our questions! We are booked in December at the Extended Stay America, and I see from a recent post where you mentioned a good rate at Hyatt Place. I found it and it's $25 more than the Extended Stay. Just wondering which one is closer to the Total Wine and Publix?

Thanks!

Total Wine and Publix are right between the 2 hotels. Hyatt Place might be one block closer.

Duffy's is EXACTLY what I was looking for!!!! Thank you so much. I'll give them a call a couple of weeks before we go to see if they can accommodate us. The menu looks awesome (so does Happy Hour)!

Thanks again!

Cathy

I thought Duffy's might be just right.;) We just wish there was one closer to our house. We were so happy that they were opening one in Fort Lauderdale, but it is 25 minutes away from where we live.

We will be docked at Port Everglades (next week) for a port day (its unusual but it happens). Are there any beach-front hotels that offer a day package where we can use their facilites and beach?

Hank

We will be docked at Port Everglades (next week) for a port day (its unusual but it happens). Are there any beach-front hotels that offer a day package where we can use their facilites and beach?

Hank

If you can't find one, be aware that there are public restrooms at Beach Place and at South Beach in Fort Lauderdale. I recommend Beach Place because there are bars, restaurants and shops. There are beach loungers available for daily rental all along the beach. A taxi from the ship is only $15-20 each way at the most.

We are coming off the island PRINCESS in FL but catching a flight back from Miami .

Any advice where to stay for 3 nights for shopping and sigtseeing ?Also what is the best way to get to Miami airport from Fl hotel -shuttle?

Any help would be appreciated .

We'll be arriving one day early for a Solstice cruise in late October. I've read this entire thread looking for advise on the hotel and here's what I've got it narrowed down to:

Hyatt Place Ft Lauderdale Airport North – $109

Sleep Inn Fort Lauderdale International Airport (in Dania) – $89

Extended Stay Deluxe - Fort Lauderdale - Cypress Creek - NW 6th Way- $64.99

Which would you recommend? It's just the two of us with no car. We would like to be able to pick up some wine on Saturday when we arrive and will need to eat at least dinner out, but don't require anything special.

I see that the 1st two have free airport and port shuttles and breakfast (right?), but it seems the Extended Stay doesn't. I wonder if having to use taxis and buy more food would cancel out the savings of staying there.

Also, do you know which part of the port Celebrity Solstice sails out of?

thanks!:)

We'll be arriving one day early for a Solstice cruise in late October. I've read this entire thread looking for advise on the hotel and here's what I've got it narrowed down to:

Which would you recommend? It's just the two of us with no car. We would like to be able to pick up some wine on Saturday when we arrive and will need to eat at least dinner out, but don't require anything special.

I see that the 1st two have free airport and port shuttles and breakfast (right?), but it seems the Extended Stay doesn't. I wonder if having to use taxis and buy more food would cancel out the savings of staying there.

Sleep Inn would meet your needs and is a good price.

IMO, without a car, do NOT stay by Cypress Creek. It will be at least $35 in cab fare from the airport and more to the port, and there are no grocery stores nearby. There are a few chain restaurants 4-6 blocks away, but no grocery or wine stores, and it is not a pedestrian-friendly area.

We are coming off the island PRINCESS in FL but catching a flight back from Miami .

Any advice where to stay for 3 nights for shopping and sigtseeing ?Also what is the best way to get to Miami airport from Fl hotel -shuttle?

Any help would be appreciated .

The best way would be to rent a car and use it for the 3 days of sightseeing, as things are very spread out and public transportation is not good in South FL. If you are interested in shopping, you should certainly go to Sawgrass Mills Outlet Mall and spend the whole day.

Hyatt Place North is my pick. Try to get room with http://www.valuetrips.com If you book with value trips you would then cancel your present reservations.

Hyatt Place North is next door to http://www.theharborshops.com

The trolley stops in front of Publix. http://www.suntrolley.com and you can walk to water taxi.

Hyatt has shuttle from airport and to ship.

Solstice sails out of the new Celebrity facility (very nice and new).

Sleep Inn would meet your needs and is a good price.

IMO, without a car, do NOT stay by Cypress Creek. It will be at least $35 in cab fare from the airport and more to the port, and there are no grocery stores nearby. There are a few chain restaurants 4-6 blocks away, but no grocery or wine stores, and it is not a pedestrian-friendly area.

Thanks.

I just booked the Sleep Inn. With my AAA # it was only $80. For a one-night stay I figured it wasn't worth the extra money for the Hyatt Place.

I haven't booked our flight yet, but if we do get in on the early side, are there places we could cab to for something to do? Maybe the beach or a main tourist strip? We are not opposed to longer walks either.