Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Thank you, royalcruz. We may look at renting a car. I saw where Dania Beach has public transportation. Looks like there is a place to eat on the pier at Dania Beach. Problem would be getting back to hotel because it quits running @ 5:45 pm.

Do you know if the car rental places @ FLL would drop you @ the cruise terminal after you return the car?

Some of the airport location rental companies have a shared shuttle to/from the port, but I'm not sure which ones do. Cab fare from that location is less than $15 anyway. I ate at the pier restaurant with 4 friends and none of us thought the food or service was great, so I wouldn't go out of my way. It does have a beach view though.

We will be in Ft Lauderdale Feb 7th/2011 day of the supper bowl.

A group of us will be staying at the Roadway Inn, Hyatt Place and Cambria Suites.

Could you please tell us if there is a sports bar with a big screen TV close to any of us so that we can get together and watch the game.

Duffy's in the Harbor Shops in Fort Lauderdale or Hollywood Ale House in Oakwood Plaza in Dania. There are big screens all around the room.

Duffy's in the Harbor Shops in Fort Lauderdale or Hollywood Ale House in Oakwood Plaza in Dania. There are big screens all around the room.

Thanks I will see how close they are to the hotels as some people will not have cars.

So sorry to be posting these questions again, but I got no response (above) and I really need to know what to do. If someone would please help me I would really appreciate it. Thanks again.

We (3 adults), are booked on the Liberty July 31 - 7, sailing out of Miami. The plane tickets were about $500.00 cheaper flying into Fort Lauderdale. We have a room at the La Quinta Airport as they have a free shuttle to the hotel. We will arrive on the 30th at 2 ish. So that is taken care of but . . .

Is there any place close to the hotel that we could walk to for pop and water or for any kind of fun or a great not to miss resturant?

I am also in need of information to get to the port in Miami the next day. What would be your recommendation, taxi, shuttle or what? Also I will need transportation back to FLL the day we get back in. Any help you may be able to give me would be so appreciated.

Thanks,

Ellen

Edited by ej4cruising

Hi ej. We are doing very much the same as you, flying into FLL at $500 less than MIA. We are renting a car from Dollar at FLL, free pickup from the airport, and returning it to Dollar at MIA, free shuttle to the Miami port. We are doing the reverse on return. We will pick a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale or Miami since the location isn't important with a rental car.

Hello royalcruz,

thanks for the lot of hints and tipps in this thread. We're from Europe and looking forward for our first visit in the U.S. next year. We are planning to spend some days in NYC, then on friday fly to FLL, and spend the weekend there, before on monday we embark on the Navigator of the Seas to sail back to Europe.

I wanted to book the hotel as early as possible, and have booked for safety the Hampton Inn Airport/Cruise-Port. This seems a good offer for me with complimentary breakfast, internet and shuttle service from the airport, to the cruise port and to downtown FLL.

I'm doing a lot of research these days and would like to ask you for your opinion:

What do you think about the hotel?

Should we look for another one? Is it worth to spend 100 Euros more per night for staying nearer to the ocean, like in the Lago Mar or the Hyatt Pier 66?

Should we rent a car to stay mobile?

Thanks in advance,

Eberhard

Originally Posted by mfeenker viewpost.gif

(I used the Days Inn on Boward Ave which offers parking and shuttle service.)

(No way! That is in the worst part of town!)

Know anything about the Days Inn on N.29th Ave.? How's the neighborhood? :confused: Thanks.

So sorry to be posting these questions again, but I got no response (above) and I really need to know what to do. If someone would please help me I would really appreciate it. Thanks again.

We (3 adults), are booked on the Liberty July 31 - 7, sailing out of Miami. The plane tickets were about $500.00 cheaper flying into Fort Lauderdale. We have a room at the La Quinta Airport as they have a free shuttle to the hotel. We will arrive on the 30th at 2 ish. So that is taken care of but . . .

Is there any place close to the hotel that we could walk to for pop and water Kmart and Big Lots

or for any kind of fun or a great not to miss resturant?

Dave & Busters arcade

multiplex cinema

no great restaurants, but Hollywood Ale House is the best one on the block (it's a sports bar & grill)

I am also in need of information to get to the port in Miami the next day. What would be your recommendation, taxi, shuttle or what? Also I will need transportation back to FLL the day we get back in. Any help you may be able to give me would be so appreciated.

SAS transportation shuttle both ways, reserve in advance through email

Thanks,

Ellen

Hope that helps

Hello royalcruz,

thanks for the lot of hints and tipps in this thread. We're from Europe and looking forward for our first visit in the U.S. next year. We are planning to spend some days in NYC, then on friday fly to FLL, and spend the weekend there, before on monday we embark on the Navigator of the Seas to sail back to Europe.

I wanted to book the hotel as early as possible, and have booked for safety the Hampton Inn Airport/Cruise-Port. This seems a good offer for me with complimentary breakfast, internet and shuttle service from the airport, to the cruise port and to downtown FLL.

I'm doing a lot of research these days and would like to ask you for your opinion:

What do you think about the hotel?

Should we look for another one? Is it worth to spend 100 Euros more per night for staying nearer to the ocean, like in the Lago Mar or the Hyatt Pier 66?

Should we rent a car to stay mobile?

Thanks in advance,

Eberhard

I can't imagine staying at the Hampton Inn for 3 nights without a car, but with a car it would be fine. There are fast food restaurants and one German restaurant there. You should be able to get the Bahia Mar or Courtyard Marriott for less than the resorts that you mentioned and would be across from the beach and walking distance to lots of restaurants, and on the water taxi and suntrolley route. What do you think?

Originally Posted by mfeenker viewpost.gif

(I used the Days Inn on Boward Ave which offers parking and shuttle service.)

(No way! That is in the worst part of town!)

Know anything about the Days Inn on N.29th Ave.? How's the neighborhood? :confused: Thanks.

I don't think there is anything there except for Denny's, but it's not a bad neighborhood. They have free shuttles, so it's fine for one night.

I can't imagine staying at the Hampton Inn for 3 nights without a car, but with a car it would be fine. There are fast food restaurants and one German restaurant there. You should be able to get the Bahia Mar or Courtyard Marriott for less than the resorts that you mentioned and would be across from the beach and walking distance to lots of restaurants, and on the water taxi and suntrolley route. What do you think?

Thank you royalcruz,

are you talking about this hotel: "Bahia Mar Beach Resort and Yachting Center"?

I have done a research for it and i could book it for an affordable price. The "Courtyard Marriott" is too axpensive (at the moment).

Also the "Atlantic"... There was an offer last month for 190 $/room/night, but I have thought about it too long and now it costs 500$. Seems that end of April is high season in FLL.

I think your idea of staying nearer to beach and/or Las Olas Boulevard is right.

This is what I thought we'd like to do in FLL:

Walk at the beach, downtown, River Walk,

Relax some hours at a pool

Visit some shops

Maybe visit Sawgrass Mills

Go out eat (italian, asian, seafood, but one evening we would also like to enjoy a perfect hamburger, as we never get this here in Germany in our "American Fast Foods".)

Maybe go on the 'Jungle Queen'.

Also we prefer the possibility to go back to the hotel two, three times a day to refresh, and then go sightseeing again.

I have no idea about the distances and the time we need to get from one interesting place to another... (OK, I have seen it on the maps but I have to realize it).

I understand that we have to plan time for that and that we cannot walk from one place to the other, as the area is large. So we have to move by car, bus or water taxi.

Because of that I think it's better if we are closer to the public transports like busses or water taxi.

What do you think?

Thanks again

Eberhard

Hi All,

I am going on the Oasis of the Seas in August.... Cannot Wait!!

After my cruise i am heading to Orlando (I-Drive), Can you advise the best method of transportation (budget friendly) to get to Orlando from Port Everglades?

Two adults travelling..........

Thanks in advance

Jo

xx

We have flights arriving in Orlando two days before we cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale. We need to rent a car in Orlando and stay somewhere between Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale, preferably on a beach at a reasonable price. We then need to return the car somewhere that will provide us transportation to the port and then pick us up when we return. Help...

Thank you royalcruz,

are you talking about this hotel: "Bahia Mar Beach Resort and Yachting Center"?

I have done a research for it and i could book it for an affordable price. The "Courtyard Marriott" is too axpensive (at the moment).

Also the "Atlantic"... There was an offer last month for 190 $/room/night, but I have thought about it too long and now it costs 500$. Seems that end of April is high season in FLL.

I think your idea of staying nearer to beach and/or Las Olas Boulevard is right.

This is what I thought we'd like to do in FLL:

Walk at the beach, downtown, River Walk,

Relax some hours at a pool

Visit some shops

Maybe visit Sawgrass Mills

Go out eat (italian, asian, seafood, but one evening we would also like to enjoy a perfect hamburger, as we never get this here in Germany in our "American Fast Foods".)

Maybe go on the 'Jungle Queen'.

Also we prefer the possibility to go back to the hotel two, three times a day to refresh, and then go sightseeing again.

I have no idea about the distances and the time we need to get from one interesting place to another... (OK, I have seen it on the maps but I have to realize it).

I understand that we have to plan time for that and that we cannot walk from one place to the other, as the area is large. So we have to move by car, bus or water taxi.

Because of that I think it's better if we are closer to the public transports like busses or water taxi.

What do you think?

Thanks again

Eberhard

Yes, you can easily do most of those things from the Bahia Mar Resort by walking, water taxi, sun trolley, and public bus, within 0-3 miles. The exception is Sawgrass Mills Mall. It is a 30 minute drive and the public bus goes through a bad neighborhood. Taxi would be really expensive, over $100 round trip. Maybe a rental car would work for that trip. The Atlantic hotel is really nice but it is about another 6 blocks further from things. If you get a good rate again that is a good choice. Other beach hotels are Sheraton (a few blocks further away), W, Marriott Beach Place, and Westin, but Bahia Mar tends to have the best rates (it's not as updated as the others but seems fine).

Hi All,

I am going on the Oasis of the Seas in August.... Cannot Wait!!

After my cruise i am heading to Orlando (I-Drive), Can you advise the best method of transportation (budget friendly) to get to Orlando from Port Everglades?

Two adults travelling..........

Thanks in advance

Jo

xx

It's only about a 3 hr drive and it's easy to navigate, so most people rent a car.

We have flights arriving in Orlando two days before we cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale. We need to rent a car in Orlando and stay somewhere between Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale, preferably on a beach at a reasonable price. We then need to return the car somewhere that will provide us transportation to the port and then pick us up when we return. Help...

Some of the FLL airport location car rental companies offer a shared shuttle. You can find out which ones either by calling the companies (call the actual location directly if you want correct information) or doing a search on this board.

Hi everyone. I'm so behind on booking my hotel that I'm hoping I can get some good tips from all of you (maybe even tonight!). My parents, DH, DD and I are sailing out of Fort Lauderdale on the Carnival Freedom and will be flying in from the AZ and DC areas respectively. Joining us will be my in-laws who'll be driving in from Tampa. As a result, we're looking for a hotel that offers airport/port shuttles as well as free parking for the duration of the cruise. My DH - who is not a CC user - has proposed the Spring Hill Suites. Can anyone tell me about their experiences there? I'm open to other suggestions as well. DH loves a hotel that offers free breakfast so that is a consideration! I'm more concerned in a safe area to leave my in-laws' car. Thanks in advance!

This seems to be the place to ask questions of this sort and my guess is royalcruz can help when he gets back in a couple weeks. (How dare you leave when we are in need of information?)

We have a group of potentially upwards of 15 going on the Allure in late March. We will all be coming in by car and we will likely have three and possibly four cars. We will be arriving on Saturday and can arrive at any time including very early. The cruise departs on Sunday. Here are our needs (wants?):

1. A hotel on the beach (the Bahia Mar is not an option because one of our group is very picky about being on the beach).

2. Free parking during the cruise.

3. Safety for our car while on the cruise.

4. Price is not the primary issue but it would be nice if we could PL or HL although I know that March is the worst possible time to do it.

5. Shuttles to and from the port would be nice but are not a dealbreaker. Obviously, we don't care at all about shuttles to the airport.

6. We would like to get as few rooms as possible - question becomes do we need a separate room for each car which we will be parking at the hotel?

7. I plan on sitting beachside or poolside the whole day filling my rumrunners in preparation for the following week all the while making sure to keep myself hydrated by sipping liberally from the bottles and rum runners. Thus, I don't care much about how nice everything is and would be just fine with a cheap room by the port. Alas, the remainder of my group is very concerned with making sure everything is nice and resortlike.

In a nutshell, we want a cheap room, that has a fantastically wonderful resort like atmosphere, that will let us park our car there while we go on the cruise and keep it safe, and that will basically cater to any other whims we may have. Any ideas?

Edited by Duke95

Hi everyone. I'm so behind on booking my hotel that I'm hoping I can get some good tips from all of you (maybe even tonight!). My parents, DH, DD and I are sailing out of Fort Lauderdale on the Carnival Freedom and will be flying in from the AZ and DC areas respectively. Joining us will be my in-laws who'll be driving in from Tampa. As a result, we're looking for a hotel that offers airport/port shuttles as well as free parking for the duration of the cruise. My DH - who is not a CC user - has proposed the Spring Hill Suites. Can anyone tell me about their experiences there? I'm open to other suggestions as well. DH loves a hotel that offers free breakfast so that is a consideration! I'm more concerned in a safe area to leave my in-laws' car. Thanks in advance!

Flyboyswife check this website out it might be able to help you. I don't know what time of year you are going but if it falls between April 1 - October 27 Hyatt place on 10th has a very good price and is very convenient to the port. The free parking I'm not sure about but you can call to see. Good luck http://www.valuetrips.com/AMS/FL/F17.htm

128 Spacious Guest Rooms Featuring:

• Signature Hyatt Grand Bed

• Complimentary Wi-Fi

• 42" flat-panel HD TV

• Cozy Corner oversized sofa sleeper

• Iron, Ironing board and hair dryer

• Convenient, well lighted work areahyattroom.jpg.

amspl1.jpg• Outdoor heated swimming pool

• Complimentary continental breakfast buffet

• Laundry facility/valet service

• Fitness center

• State-of-the-art business center

• Gallery Cafe

• 24 hour Guest Kitchen

• Complimentary airport shuttle (6 AM-10PM)

Meeting Facilities:1,100 square feet of flexible meeting space with 2 rooms that can accommodate up to 75 people. A flip chart with easel, whiteboard, television and VCP, and podium are provided complimentary. Arrangements can be made for other equipment and catering needs.

We have a group of us going on the Freedom November 6-14. We are flying into Fort Lauderdale on November 5 and are trying to find a decent hotel that is not too expensive but also offers airport and cruise shuttles. We will also be staying in Fort Lauderdale on November 14 after debarkation as flights home on Sunday are over $200 more than staying the extra day in Fort Lauderdale. So, we will need to stay the two nights.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. We have seen decent rates at the Ramada Fort Lauderdale Airport / Cruise Port hotel but not really knowing anything about this hotel makes us a bit nervous at booking. What is your take on this hotel? Is there anything around it that would warrant the stay, meaning restaurants?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!!!!!!

We have a group of us going on the Freedom November 6-14. We are flying into Fort Lauderdale on November 5 and are trying to find a decent hotel that is not too expensive but also offers airport and cruise shuttles. We will also be staying in Fort Lauderdale on November 14 after debarkation as flights home on Sunday are over $200 more than staying the extra day in Fort Lauderdale. So, we will need to stay the two nights.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. We have seen decent rates at the Ramada Fort Lauderdale Airport / Cruise Port hotel but not really knowing anything about this hotel makes us a bit nervous at booking. What is your take on this hotel? Is there anything around it that would warrant the stay, meaning restaurants?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!!!!!!

Lorrie, a group of 8 of us sailed from Ft Lauderdale November 2008 and we stayed at Hyatt Place North. They had free shuttle from airport and to cruiseport the next day. The rooms are really large with a small fridge, table and chair, and a large sofa. All 8 of us gathered in my room for 'pre-cruise happy hour' that night and had plenty of room. There is an Outback a stones-throw away, plus plenty of places to eat, grocery, and a liquor store about a 10 minute walk away. We got it for about $75. I regularly see people on here get it on Priceline for $80 or $89.

Just throwing out a suggestion. Enjoy your cruise!

This seems to be the place to ask questions of this sort and my guess is royalcruz can help when he gets back in a couple weeks. (How dare you leave when we are in need of information?)

We have a group of potentially upwards of 15 going on the Allure in late March. We will all be coming in by car and we will likely have three and possibly four cars. We will be arriving on Saturday and can arrive at any time including very early. The cruise departs on Sunday. Here are our needs (wants?):

1. A hotel on the beach (the Bahia Mar is not an option because one of our group is very picky about being on the beach).

2. Free parking during the cruise.

3. Safety for our car while on the cruise.

4. Price is not the primary issue but it would be nice if we could PL or HL although I know that March is the worst possible time to do it.

5. Shuttles to and from the port would be nice but are not a dealbreaker. Obviously, we don't care at all about shuttles to the airport.

6. We would like to get as few rooms as possible - question becomes do we need a separate room for each car which we will be parking at the hotel?

7. I plan on sitting beachside or poolside the whole day filling my rumrunners in preparation for the following week all the while making sure to keep myself hydrated by sipping liberally from the bottles and rum runners. Thus, I don't care much about how nice everything is and would be just fine with a cheap room by the port. Alas, the remainder of my group is very concerned with making sure everything is nice and resortlike.

In a nutshell, we want a cheap room, that has a fantastically wonderful resort like atmosphere, that will let us park our car there while we go on the cruise and keep it safe, and that will basically cater to any other whims we may have. Any ideas?

We got a good price ($89.00 with AAA) on a room in Feb at the Cambria Suites in Dania. They have free parking and shuttle to the pier and it is in a good area with nice restaurants close by.

I called the hotel direct (1-954-889-2600), not sure about prices in March but it might be worth checking out.

Someone else on this site booked it @ 123stay.com and got the same price.