Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Hi everyone -
Just trying to get some advice for our cruise this weekend out of Port Everglades - Ft. Lauderdale.

We are driving in that morning and will park at the port. Once we drive into the port, this is where my question and doubts are.....

How would you suggest is the best way to handle this? Should I drop off my party at a certain spot and then go and park the car?
or
Would you suggest parking and then strolling over to the enterance together?
Does anyone know the distance involved or if this is even do-able?

If someone who has experienced this can give me some advice on how to make the process smooth, I would greatly appreciate it. I don't want to start things off wrong on our first day - just getting on the cruise.
We are on the Emerald Princess for Sunday...

Thanks fo your help in advance! :)

Drop off everyone (maybe keep one person with you) and the luggage and then park and walk to the terminal. Princess will probably use Pier 3. The garage is next to the terminal, but it's a very big garage, shared by the convention center.

[quote name='royalcruz']Drop off everyone (maybe keep one person with you) and the luggage and then park and walk to the terminal. Princess will probably use Pier 3. The garage is next to the terminal, but it's a very big garage, shared by the convention center.[/quote]

After looking it up you will be going out of pier 2, here is a link for that. [URL]https://pevweb01.broward.org/Public/PublicMovements.aspx[/URL] then type in your ship of emerald princess in ship name area.

Also here is a picture so you will get an ideal of what we are talking about. Good Luck and I hope this helps you and enjoy your cruise.[IMG]http://lh3.ggpht.com/WigH3UPrBXZpksHb9SFXEA0VWhG3ss4JNIYPIlLin8FtXJJkGKI1hrTrmT07wqBO50Zr9p4e416So712s9TztTT56W8hidVi_CxM5eM[/IMG]

[quote name='santa24']Fairfield Inn & Suites... We have had this hotel booked for us, as we are travelling with a group. How far is it from any beaches...walking distance?...any good eating spots close by?[/quote]

The beach is about a 5 mile ride. The closest restaurants within a few blocks are Islamorada Fish Co, Tropical Acres, and Rustic Inn (crabhouse). The Rustic Inn is the only one with any atmosphere, IMO, and visitors seem to really like it. I also like The Field, a charming Irish pub and restaurant with outdoor patio about a mile west on Griffin Road. They have great entertainment tuesday and wednesday nights, I'm not sure about the weekends.

[quote name='royalcruz']Drop off everyone (maybe keep one person with you) and the luggage and then park and walk to the terminal. Princess will probably use Pier 3. The garage is next to the terminal, but it's a very big garage, shared by the convention center.[/quote]

Thank you.
Whether it is pier 2 or 3, I think dropping off everyone with luggage may be beneficial, otherwise we are rolling a few suitcases to get from the garage to the enterance and with 2 kids and bags that may not be the easiest.

[quote name='Carolina Shore']Thank you.
Whether it is pier 2 or 3, I think dropping off everyone with luggage may be beneficial, otherwise we are rolling a few suitcases to get from the garage to the enterance and with 2 kids and bags that may not be the easiest.[/quote]

You can see from the photograph that the parking garage is right between and next to terminals 2 and 3. So it isn't much walking, but there is curbside service at each terminal for luggage to make it easy. You could even just drop off the luggage and then take everyone with you to park. That way someone is bound to remember where the car is when you return a week later:D

royalcruz, thanks so much for the info.
Wish this was closer to the beach as we get in noon the day before the cruise but I guess we will be cabbing it if we want some time by the water. Can't be helped when you're with a group and we didn't book the hotel. We have never been to Ft Lauderdale so hope to have some time to explore.

[quote name='santa24']royalcruz, thanks so much for the info.
Wish this was closer to the beach as we get in noon the day before the cruise but I guess we will be cabbing it if we want some time by the water. Can't be helped when you're with a group and we didn't book the hotel. We have never been to Ft Lauderdale so hope to have some time to explore.[/quote]

santa24, If you are going to venture away from the hotel, it might be worth getting a rental car so that you can go to the beach and wherever else you want to explore. Round trip cabfare to the Dania beach could cost at least as much as a day rental. It's really easy to get around, as everything is on main rds that run parallel to each other. You could go to Ft Lauderdale beach which is a lot more fun than Dania Beach that is closer to Fairfield. A lot of the car rental companies at the airport have a free shuttle to the port too, when you drop off the car. Edited by royalcruz

Hi-- I have just readl all 39 pages of this thread and it seems this question has never come up..
we are arriving into FLL on a red eye from the West coast. We are looking at flights that arrive at 5am. We will be boarding our ship the same day. I thought about booking a room for the night before- and just checking in for a few hours--or rent a car for the morning -- but now I am not sure-

All we want to do is eat a light breakfast and pick up some wine before heading to the ship (about 11am)-- any suggestions ? thanks !

[quote name='amachad']Hi-- I have just readl all 39 pages of this thread and it seems this question has never come up..
we are arriving into FLL on a red eye from the West coast. We are looking at flights that arrive at 5am. We will be boarding our ship the same day. I thought about booking a room for the night before- and just checking in for a few hours--or rent a car for the morning -- but now I am not sure-

All we want to do is eat a light breakfast and pick up some wine before heading to the ship (about 11am)-- any suggestions ? thanks ![/quote]

You can preorder your wine from Total Wine (I'm not sure if you prepay or not when you do this). You can take a very short cab ride to Lester's Diner for breakfast and coffee and hang out for a while; it's open 24 hrs. Then take another short ride to Total Wine when it opens, run in to pick up your order while the taxi waits, then take another short ride to the terminal. The total for taxis would be about $30. I don't know what day of the week you are arriving. If it is Sunday, you cannot purchase wine until noon.

[quote name='eddiesgirl25']We will be arriving in Ft. Lauderdale after our cruise and our flights are not till 7pm that night. Looking for something to do to kill time.[/quote]

beach
Las Olas Blvd downtown
riverwalk
Bonnet House
rental car to south beach miami or Sawgrass Mills mall
Boomers with kids

Hi there! I was wondering about transportation from the ship back to the airport. Our hotel has a shuttle from the airport to hotel and then from hotel to the ship. It's just post cruise that concerns me! Is a cab the easiest way to go? Cost?? There are 4 ppl in our party.

I checked SAS but they want a min of 6 ppl.

Many thanks!

[quote name='va_wine_lover']Hi there! I was wondering about transportation from the ship back to the airport. Our hotel has a shuttle from the airport to hotel and then from hotel to the ship. It's just post cruise that concerns me! Is a cab the easiest way to go? Cost?? There are 4 ppl in our party.

Many thanks![/quote]

There will be cabs lined up and it is under $20 per cab.

[quote name='va_wine_lover']Hi there! I was wondering about transportation from the ship back to the airport. Our hotel has a shuttle from the airport to hotel and then from hotel to the ship. It's just post cruise that concerns me! Is a cab the easiest way to go? Cost?? There are 4 ppl in our party.

Many thanks![/quote]

Who told you SAS had a 6 person minimum? I just booked with them for November. There are 4 of us. Check out the web site. [URL="http://www.ridesas.com"][FONT=Arial]www.ridesas.com[/FONT][/URL]
It looks like they even transport a couple people but it costs more like $16 each. We are paying $13 each person from Miami port to FLL.
Happy Sailing!! :)

I am hoping someone can help me out with perhaps an unusual question :o

What shops/stores are there near to the Embassy Suites on 17th St..(as in walking distance) that I can buy school supplies as in stationery/craft/etc etc?

I have tried the Harbor Shops link all day and can't get the site to open so I am hoping someone here can help me out with the information.

We (International Critters) are taking school supplies on the Allure to take to Labadee and I only have one day before boarding the ship to buy around $400 worth of supplies and as I am staying at the ES I am hoping(fingers crossed) there is a store nearby that I can get all the supplies.

Thanks in advance for any help.

[quote name='Elizanessie']I am hoping someone can help me out with perhaps an unusual question :o

What shops/stores are there near to the Embassy Suites on 17th St..(as in walking distance) that I can buy school supplies as in stationery/craft/etc etc?

I have tried the Harbor Shops link all day and can't get the site to open so I am hoping someone here can help me out with the information.

We (International Critters) are taking school supplies on the Allure to take to Labadee and I only have one day before boarding the ship to buy around $400 worth of supplies and as I am staying at the ES I am hoping(fingers crossed) there is a store nearby that I can get all the supplies.

Thanks in advance for any help.[/quote]

Office Depot across the street
Publix grocery in Harbor Shops behind hotel
CVS about 4 blocks west
Walgreens about 4 blocks east

ok, I think I'm looking for something that doesn't exist. We're driving in to Ft Laud the day before our cruise on Oct 23, we are looking for a hotel where we can leave the car while we're on the cruise AND include transfers. The Renassaince in Plantation is a nice property but I've read they don't offer transfer to the port and back.

What's the most budget friendly way to get the hotel, parking and transfers?

thanks for your help.

Looking for a hotel room in Fort Lauderdale for the above nights pre-Maasdam cruise. And maybe again on February 11 when we return. Last February, we stayed at the [I]Ritz-Carlton[/I] on Fort Lauderdale Beach...and the year before at the [I]Courtyard Marriott/Fort Lauderdale Beach[/I]. The Ritz was using trade credits accrued through our B & B inn, but this year, all they have for trade is a dumpy motel somewhere along the beach!

Looking for a good value...love that location but I know things are pricey. Anyone have any recommendations?

I tried going on Hotwire and it seems like a good deal...but they don't reveal the name of the hotel until it's booked so I'm a bit skeptical.

Thanks!

[quote name='royalcruz']These are really close to the hotel. Enterprise advertises that they pick you up. Maybe they would drop you off at the port. If not, a cab will cost about $25 with tip. It might be cheaper to pay the airport facility charge and get a free shuttle to the port. Anyway these are options...

[B][U][SIZE=3][COLOR=#037eab]Enterprise Rent-A-Car[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/B] [COLOR=#999999]- 1.24 miles away[/COLOR]
12 E Sunrise Bl, Ft Lauderdale, FL 33304 US (866) 341-9452

[B][U][SIZE=3][COLOR=#037eab]Enterprise Rent-A-Car[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/B] [COLOR=#999999]- 0.67 miles away[/COLOR]
1240 N Federal Hwy, Bayview Cadillac, FL 33304 US (888) 319-7142

[B][U][SIZE=3][COLOR=#037eab]Hertz® Rent-a-Car[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/B] [COLOR=#999999]- 1.51 miles away[/COLOR]
912 North Federal Highway, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33304 US (954) 760-4719[/quote]

Thankyou ,most kind and very helpful,I usually leave car at airport but I am always looking for an easier way .

[quote name='LSauls7537']ok, I think I'm looking for something that doesn't exist. We're driving in to Ft Laud the day before our cruise on Oct 23, we are looking for a hotel where we can leave the car while we're on the cruise AND include transfers. The Renassaince in Plantation is a nice property but I've read they don't offer transfer to the port and back.

What's the most budget friendly way to get the hotel, parking and transfers?

thanks for your help.[/quote]

There are lots of hotels that offer free shuttles and allow you to leave your car for free. Check with these hotels to see if they are currently offering this:
Sleep Inn Dania
LaQuinta Hollywood
Hampton Inn on 12th Ave in Fort Lauderdale or Stirling Road in Hollywood or in Plantation
Hyatt Place north or south
Holiday Inn Express Convention Center
Cambria Suites FLL
Fairfield Inn & Suites
Summerfield Inn & Suites
Homewood Suites
Rodeway Inn FLL (gets mixed reviews)

[quote name='innlady1']Looking for a hotel room in Fort Lauderdale for the above nights pre-Maasdam cruise. And maybe again on February 11 when we return. Last February, we stayed at the [I]Ritz-Carlton[/I] on Fort Lauderdale Beach...and the year before at the [I]Courtyard Marriott/Fort Lauderdale Beach[/I]. The Ritz was using trade credits accrued through our B & B inn, but this year, all they have for trade is a dumpy motel somewhere along the beach!

Looking for a good value...love that location but I know things are pricey. Anyone have any recommendations?

I tried going on Hotwire and it seems like a good deal...but they don't reveal the name of the hotel until it's booked so I'm a bit skeptical.

Thanks![/quote]

The Bahia Mar is a 3 star hotel that offers very competitive rates. It is about 2 blocks south of the courtyard, across from the beach. Sheraton Ft Laud Beach also has pretty good rates and is another block or 2 south. If you look on Betterbidding you will get great info on which hotwire hotels you could get, but if you are set on being by the beach I wouldn't take the risk, as they consider all hotels east of the intracoastal to be beach area hotels, including the Hyatt Pier 66 that isn't even a reasonable walk to a public beach. They also have a few hotels that have had mixed reviews.