Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Fort Lauderdale Honeymoon Question- My son has asked my help in planning his honeymoon this coming October. They do not want to take a cruise:eek:. He's looking towards FLL but is open to any part of Fla. Can anyone one help with reccomendations? They want beachfront and have a moderate budget for a week or more luxury for 5 nights. If they could walk to a couple resturants and clubs that would be great as they prefer not to rent a car. Also if you could walk to water taxi. THANKS!!!

just wondering, do SAS pick up from Downtown Ft Laud?...heard a few people mention them now and seems like the most economical way to transfer....need to get from Hilton Marina to Miami Airport - and any idea of prices for 2 people?

cheers

SAS will not go to MIA airport.

Fort Lauderdale Honeymoon Question- My son has asked my help in planning his honeymoon this coming October. They do not want to take a cruise:eek:. He's looking towards FLL but is open to any part of Fla. Can anyone one help with reccomendations? They want beachfront and have a moderate budget for a week or more luxury for 5 nights. If they could walk to a couple resturants and clubs that would be great as they prefer not to rent a car. Also if you could walk to water taxi. THANKS!!!

Sheraton and Courtyard at Fort Lauderdale beach are moderately priced for the area and walking distance to clubs and restaurants. If they can get a good rate at the W, there are 2 popular clubs on the premises (Whiskey and the Lobby Bar) and there is a DJ at the pool on weekends.

I have read through much of this thread, and have not seen my question, so here goes…

We are doing a b2b on the Noordam in November. I believe we will have to leave the ship while it is docked (a Saturday), so are looking for things to do in/around Ft Lauderdale for a few hours. We do not want to take one of the ship’s excursions. We would be interested in any ideas people have, including shopping, sight-seeing, going to places to replace snacks, wine, etc. I saw mention of the water taxi, and would like more info on that – where it goes, where to get it from the ship, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Stan (Car-Stan)

Get a cab to the south port entrance at 17th St. There is a Walgreens there, and the water taxi is 2 blocks away at the Hilton Marina.

You are welcome. The Fort Lauderdale beachfront has changed a lot in the last 5 yrs, and there are a lot of great choices. My favorite is the W, but it's not for everybody because if you are older or conservative you might find it to be too over the top (i.e. there is a DJ at the pool on weekends playing club music). The best advice is just to avoid Hotwire and Priceline if you want to be right at the beach.

Great advice Royalcruz.

I had actually looked at Priceline and Hotwire but decided we really wanted to be in Fort Lauderdale, not too far south or north and definately on the beach, close to the water taxi. Didn't want to chance it. Since I last posted we have discovered we have enough airmiles for Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach, Westin Beach Resort and maybe if we push it the W. I'm leaning towards the Westin I think, as what I have read gives it better reviews than the Sheraton and just don't know if we have enough for the W. January rates are a little higher than our norm so really hoping the airmiles work out.

Thanks again.

Get a cab to the south port entrance at 17th St. There is a Walgreens there, and the water taxi is 2 blocks away at the Hilton Marina.

Thanks!

On the return, will we have to take a cab again??

Stan

Edited by Car-Stan
added new question

Will be renting a car post-cruise from FLL. I understand SOME car rental companies use a community shuttle to take people to the cruiseport.

Will this shuttle also pick-up from Port Everglades? If so, can I expect a nasty wait due to a long line of other disembarking passengers doing the same thing?

Does anyone know if Alamo and Budget are among the companies using the shuttle service?

(I know Budget has an office on 17th Street with a cruiseport shuttle, but I have a deep discount that only works at an airport. Thrifty/Dollar, also on 17th, wants $100 for one-way drop charges.)

We are flying into FLL very early of the day we sail on the Emerald Princess for 10 cay E. Car. cruise. We have not been to this cruise port before and wonder what the facilities are or what we could do before we take a shuttle to the port. Any suggestion. Breakfast at airport or somewhere in between or are there opportunites at the terminal?

Thanks for any assistance

Hell all,

This is my first post. I am sailing on Oasis in November and would like to find a Pre-cruise hotel that allows us to leave our car there and has a shuttle. We stayed at a Radisson in Port Canaveral that did this and it was a fantastic deal & convenience.

Is there such a thing in Fort Lauderdale?

Thanks in advance.

Frank

Hell all,

This is my first post. I am sailing on Oasis in November and would like to find a Pre-cruise hotel that allows us to leave our car there and has a shuttle. We stayed at a Radisson in Port Canaveral that did this and it was a fantastic deal & convenience.

Thanks in advance.

Frank

Frank, check out Post #824 on page 42 of this thread. Royalcruz lists a number of hotels that he suggests may have this benefit (we're hoping for that as well), though with the disclaimer that you will want to call them to find out for sure.

Great advice Royalcruz.

I had actually looked at Priceline and Hotwire but decided we really wanted to be in Fort Lauderdale, not too far south or north and definately on the beach, close to the water taxi. Didn't want to chance it. Since I last posted we have discovered we have enough airmiles for Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach, Westin Beach Resort and maybe if we push it the W. I'm leaning towards the Westin I think, as what I have read gives it better reviews than the Sheraton and just don't know if we have enough for the W. January rates are a little higher than our norm so really hoping the airmiles work out.

Thanks again.

While the Sheraton is directly on the beach and the Westin is across the street from the beach, the Westin is a closer walk to the main strip area.

Thanks!

On the return, will we have to take a cab again??

Stan

If your ship is docked at terminals 1-3, you won't need a cab at all. Otherwise you will need one both ways, as the port is very big. Somewhere on the internet you can find a map of the port and elsewhere you can find a chart that indicates what terminal is used for which ship on which date. A search on CC should help you find this info.

We are flying into FLL very early of the day we sail on the Emerald Princess for 10 cay E. Car. cruise. We have not been to this cruise port before and wonder what the facilities are or what we could do before we take a shuttle to the port. Any suggestion. Breakfast at airport or somewhere in between or are there opportunites at the terminal?

Thanks for any assistance

I don't think the airport has any sit-down restaurants, just food kiosks and bars. The terminal certainly doesn't have anything. Lester's Diner on state rd 84 in Fort Lauderdale is open 24 hrs and would be a good place to sit and relax for awhile but of course you would need to take 2 taxis (probably no more than $12 each ride). It is between the airport and cruiseport.

Hell all,

Thanks in advance.

Frank

Sleep Inn in Dania has become very popular with cruisers because it offers this. I think that the Hampton Inn on State Rd 84 also offers this. Most hotels will not pick you up after the cruise, but I have read on this board of one or 2 who will, so try a thread search.

Hell all,

Thanks in advance.

Frank

Haven't stayed here yet, but we are booked at Cambria Suites, Dania Beach. They offer free cruise parking and shuttles to and from the cruise port.

If your ship is docked at terminals 1-3, you won't need a cab at all. Otherwise you will need one both ways, as the port is very big. Somewhere on the internet you can find a map of the port and elsewhere you can find a chart that indicates what terminal is used for which ship on which date. A search on CC should help you find this info.

Please review the maps below to find out exactly where you need to go.

port-map.jpg

Here is the link for the ship schedule. Just plug in ship and date and should bring up which pier you will be at. Good Luck:D:D:D

https://pevweb01.broward.org/Public/PublicMovements.aspx

I agree- royalcruz, you've been such a great help, answering all our questions- thanks for taking the time. :)

We are staying at the Hyatt Place off 17th for one night pre-cruise, and were hoping to pick up some supplies at the Total Wine at Harbor Shops. We are there on a Thursday. Do you know what time they are open until?

Or what time they would open on a Thursday morning?

What about Publix?

Thanks!

I agree- royalcruz, you've been such a great help, answering all our questions- thanks for taking the time. :)

We are staying at the Hyatt Place off 17th for one night pre-cruise, and were hoping to pick up some supplies at the Total Wine at Harbor Shops. We are there on a Thursday. Do you know what time they are open until?

Or what time they would open on a Thursday morning?

What about Publix?

Thanks!

Total Wine 9AM - 10PM

Publix 7AM - 11PM