Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

The weather was lovely this week. We enjoyed a dockside lunch on Memorial Day at Coconuts, and had dinner last night at Greek Islands. They have the best spinach pie and lambchops in town, with indoor/outdoor seating options. Both have valet parking.

Royal, is Greek Islands that place on A1A going towards Pompano? Bob:)

Greek Islands is on A1A near Oakland Park Blvd about 4 miles south of Pompano Beach.

There is another Greek restaurant on the corner of A1A and Commercial Blvd (closer to Pompano Beach, called Athena) but the food and service there isn't half as good as Greek Islands. I get the feeling that mostly tourists eat there, or maybe locals go because it's a place to sit for the street parties.

Edited by royalcruz

We are booked at the Hampton Inn and Suites the night before our Dec cruise. What is the best way to get there from the airport - taxi or shuttle?? As well to the cruise port??

Thanks in advance.

We are booked at the Hampton Inn and Suites the night before our Dec cruise. What is the best way to get there from the airport - taxi or shuttle?? As well to the cruise port??

Thanks in advance.

If this Hampton has a free shuttle (I think most do), use it. I'm not sure which Hampton you are staying at. If you don't want to wait for the cruise shuttle, it will cost you $15-20 for a taxi if you are staying at one of the Hamptons near the airport/port/downtown (Stirling, Andrews Ave., or 12th Ave).

For complicated reasons too long to go into, we are booked into these two hotels (Gallery One and Hilton Marina ) for the same night between a TA on the Liberty OTS and an E Caribbean cruise on Allure, in November.

Could you advise on which would be the best one to actually stay in.

We like lots of shops and restaurants etc but as my DH can't now walk as far as he would like, we would prefer to either have these close by or can get to them easily.

A nice view of the ships in port would be good but not vital.

Your thoughts would be a great help

Sandra

For complicated reasons too long to go into, we are booked into these two hotels (Gallery One and Hilton Marina ) for the same night between a TA on the Liberty OTS and an E Caribbean cruise on Allure, in November.

We like lots of shops and restaurants etc but as my DH can't now walk as far as he would like, we would prefer to either have these close by or can get to them easily.

I would definitely choose the Gallery One. Next door to Galleria Mall with numerous shops and very good restaurants. Across from new Publix grocery. On the interacoastal with water taxi stop at hotel. Not on beach but has a nice area in rear of hotel to watch yachts, boats pass by. We have stayed at most of the hotels in Ft. Lauderdale and this is our favorite. (sorry about duplicating message above.)

Edited by aarep

I would definitely choose the Gallery One. Next door to Galleria Mall with numerous shops and very good restaurants. Across from new Publix grocery. On the interacoastal with water taxi stop at hotel. Not on beach but has a nice area in rear of hotel to watch yachts, boats pass by. We have stayed at most of the hotels in Ft. Lauderdale and this is our favorite. (sorry about duplicating message above.)

Thank you for that.....is sounds just what we are after.

A lack of beach is not a problem, we are not really beach people.

It will be nice to see the boats in the marina. Maybe we can find a nice restaurant to have dinner which looks out onto the marina.

Thank you again for your help

Sandra

Sandra

You will need to choose between what is more important:1)VERY close to lots of restaurants and shops, and boats pass by (Gallery One) or 2)view of ships and marina, but only a few restaurants in a very close walking distance and no very close shopping to speak of(Hilton Marina).

Gallery One does NOT have views of a marina but boats will go by. Both hotels have restaurants with water views, though you won't see much at night. Both hotels feature water taxi stops. The marina-view restaurants in Fort Lauderdale are: Bahia Cabana, Coconuts, Grill 66, Pelican's Landing, Bimini Boatyard, 15th St Fisheries Dockside. These are located between the 2 hotels.

I know you have answered this question is various ways, but this thread is so long it is hard to keep track of everything you offer.

We will be sailing from Port Everglades on January 12th and plan to fly into Ft Lauderdale the day before. I have Best Western points I can use for a room and would like to know if you recommend any one in the area.

We do not need the beach, just a clean room and a decent American style restaurant close by. Easy walking distance to a place where we can buy a bottle of wine would be a plus as would a safe neighborhood for a leisurely walk after dinner.

Please indicate if the recommended site or sites offer free airport and/or cruise port shuttles. If free shuttles are not available, are you able to rough guess the cost of cab fare from airport to hotel and from hotel to ship?

Thank you for taking the time to answer all of our questions. Having a local person available who can answer questions is invaluable to those of us who do not travel often. You offer a remarkable service.

Linda

I know you have answered this question is various ways, but this thread is so long it is hard to keep track of everything you offer.

We will be sailing from Port Everglades on January 12th and plan to fly into Ft Lauderdale the day before. I have Best Western points I can use for a room and would like to know if you recommend any one in the area.

We do not need the beach, just a clean room and a decent American style restaurant close by. Easy walking distance to a place where we can buy a bottle of wine would be a plus as would a safe neighborhood for a leisurely walk after dinner.

Please indicate if the recommended site or sites offer free airport and/or cruise port shuttles. If free shuttles are not available, are you able to rough guess the cost of cab fare from airport to hotel and from hotel to ship?

Thank you for taking the time to answer all of our questions. Having a local person available who can answer questions is invaluable to those of us who do not travel often. You offer a remarkable service.

Linda

BW Oceanside is closest to the port but there are no shuttles. It is older but must be in great shape, as it gets consistantly good reviews. To get wine, you can easily take the trolley (50cents each way), bus, or taxi to Total Wine or Publix. The closest restaurants are in hotels and unless you go for fine dining you are going to be outdoors and a bit chilly in January. While you are out getting wine, you can find American fare at Chuck's Steakhouse or Duffy's Bar & Grill. Taxi from airport is about $20, to port under $15. This is in the finest neighborhood but there isn't a lot to see in the immediate area. For a leisurely evening walk head north up A1A. If you don't mind walking about 1.3 miles you will pass lots of restaurants and will then come to CVS, where you can purchase wine (not a bad selection for a drug store if you don't want anything fancy).

The newest BW is on Stirling Rd. It is a few blocks walk to Kmart and BJ's (need membership) in Oakwood Plaza, which both sell wine. There is an American diner in the Plaza, and a few blocks into the plaza is Hollywood Ale House. It's not a high crime neighborhood, but you do have to walk under an I95 overpass to get to the plaza. There is an airport shuttle from 6am to 11pm(I thinks it's complimentary). If there is no port shuttle taxi will cost about $20-25. Most of the reviews are good.

There is an older BW on SR 84 really close to the airport. It is a few blocks from Winn Dixie and a liquor store and there is also a sports bar & grill in the same shopping center and fast food and pizza. Reviews are mixed but mostly ok. Free airport shuttle. Taxi to port about $15. I'm not as comfortable walking in this neighborhood but it isn't really high crime either.

BW Oakland Park is old and gets mixed reviews. It is about 8 miles from the port and airport. They have shuttles at a charge (call the hotel to get rates). You can get wine at Publix and Fort Lauderdale Ale House is a few doors down. There is a small indoor mall a couple of blocks away by Publix, and there are consignment shops across the street. This neighborhood is nice, but there are occasional muggings at the mall. This probably happens everywhere but I hear about it because I live closeby.

Edited by royalcruz

BW Oceanside is closest to the port but there are no shuttles. It is older but must be in great shape, as it gets consistantly good reviews. To get wine, you can easily take the trolley (50cents each way), bus, or taxi to Total Wine or Publix. The closest restaurants are in hotels and unless you go for fine dining you are going to be outdoors and a bit chilly in January. While you are out getting wine, you can find American fare at Chuck's Steakhouse or Duffy's Bar & Grill. Taxi from airport is about $20, to port under $15. This is in the finest neighborhood but there isn't a lot to see in the immediate area. For a leisurely evening walk head north up A1A. If you don't mind walking about 1.3 miles you will pass lots of restaurants and will then come to CVS, where you can purchase wine (not a bad selection for a drug store if you don't want anything fancy).

The newest BW is on Stirling Rd. It is a few blocks walk to Kmart and BJ's (need membership) in Oakwood Plaza, which both sell wine. There is an American diner in the Plaza, and a few blocks into the plaza is Hollywood Ale House. It's not a high crime neighborhood, but you do have to walk under an I95 overpass to get to the plaza. There is an airport shuttle from 6am to 11pm(I thinks it's complimentary). If there is no port shuttle taxi will cost about $20-25. Most of the reviews are good.

There is an older BW on SR 84 really close to the airport. It is a few blocks from Winn Dixie and a liquor store and there is also a sports bar & grill in the same shopping center and fast food and pizza. Reviews are mixed but mostly ok. Free airport shuttle. Taxi to port about $15. I'm not as comfortable walking in this neighborhood but it isn't really high crime either.

BW Oakland Park is old and gets mixed reviews. It is about 8 miles from the port and airport. They have shuttles at a charge (call the hotel to get rates). You can get wine at Publix and Fort Lauderdale Ale House is a few doors down. There is a small indoor mall a couple of blocks away by Publix, and there are consignment shops across the street. This neighborhood is nice, but there are occasional muggings at the mall. This probably happens everywhere but I hear about it because I live closeby.

WOW!!! Your response was far more than I ever expected. Thank you so much for taking the time to be so thorough.

Based on your answer I do have a few additional questions. We will stay at the BW Oceanside. You suggested public transportation to Publix or Total Wine. Would they be at the same stop? Also would the restaurants you suggested also be a short walk from the market and wine shop or would we need to take another bus or trolley? Do you have any idea how late public transit runs on a Friday evening?

The hotel's website indicated it is across the street from the water taxi stop. Where would that take us and what is the fare?

Thank you again for your assistance.

Linda

Trying to point some friends in the right direction for a hotel pre-cruise in FLL area that includes Parking and shuttle to the port. They are going in February.

Tries using this list but after several calls seems out of date: http://www.sunny.org/visitors/cruiseandplay/hotels/

Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap, but clean hotel for a pre-cruise stay with parking. Date is for 2/14/13 so of course more expensive time of the year in the area.

Also tried parkstayfly and they don't have any rooms showing available for FLL on 2/14/2013.

Nevermind, found some good rates on stay123.com.

Edited by gracie65

You will need to choose between what is more important:1)VERY close to lots of restaurants and shops, and boats pass by (Gallery One) or 2)view of ships and marina, but only a few restaurants in a very close walking distance and no very close shopping to speak of(Hilton Marina).

Gallery One does NOT have views of a marina but boats will go by. Both hotels have restaurants with water views, though you won't see much at night. Both hotels feature water taxi stops. The marina-view restaurants in Fort Lauderdale are: Bahia Cabana, Coconuts, Grill 66, Pelican's Landing, Bimini Boatyard, 15th St Fisheries Dockside. These are located between the 2 hotels.

Have you considered writing a travel guide to Ft Lauderdale ? :D

I have decided we will stay in Gallery One. It does mean we have the Hilton Marina booked and paid for as well but there is nothing we can do about that as it is a non refundable booking. If anyone is desperate for a room on the night of 10th Nov ...just ask..

WOW!!! Your response was far more than I ever expected. Thank you so much for taking the time to be so thorough.

Based on your answer I do have a few additional questions. We will stay at the BW Oceanside. You suggested public transportation to Publix or Total Wine. Would they be at the same stop? Also would the restaurants you suggested also be a short walk from the market and wine shop or would we need to take another bus or trolley? Do you have any idea how late public transit runs on a Friday evening?

The hotel's website indicated it is across the street from the water taxi stop. Where would that take us and what is the fare?

Thank you again for your assistance.

Linda

Publix, Total Wine, and Duffy's are in the Harbor Shops and the Suntrolley stops there. There are a few other restaurants in the plaza but Duffy's is the most American style. Chuck's Steakhouse is on the opposite side of 17th St on the same block, so you should see it. You will have to catch the trolley across the street from the hotel to be headed in the right direction (50 cents each way). It stops when you flag it down. It stops running at 6:30PM. To get back by public bus (#40) the last bus leaves 17th St at 11:10 PM for 1.75 each way. Taxi fare is about $10.

The water taxi stop is across the street from the hotel and a block or two north...look for it after Bahia Cabana, at the marina. It costs $20pp for an all day pass, or $10 after 5 PM. It takes you up and down the intracoastal and the river. It is a 3 hr ride round trip and the last pickup is around 11. If you get off at the Gallery One stop, there is a Publix a block away across Sunrise Blvd. and you can buy wine there. There are lots of restaurants along the way. Honestly in January it is going to be a bit chilly and blowy on the boat after the sun goes down. If you have the chance to go on the water taxi in the daytime it will be really nice.

Edited by royalcruz

Have you considered writing a travel guide to Ft Lauderdale ? :D

I have decided we will stay in Gallery One. It does mean we have the Hilton Marina booked and paid for as well but there is nothing we can do about that as it is a non refundable booking. If anyone is desperate for a room on the night of 10th Nov ...just ask..

I have walked from Gallery One to Coconuts Restaurant but it is about 2.5 miles. That's the closest one with a marina view from there. If the marina view isn't important to you, the restaurants at the mall are all good.

I have walked from Gallery One to Coconuts Restaurant but it is about 2.5 miles. That's the closest one with a marina view from there. If the marina view isn't important to you, the restaurants at the mall are all good.

Thanks Royal.

Coconuts does seem to get good reviews (apart from the odd few...there is always someone who has a problem) We could get a taxi from Gallery One. Would we need to book in advance. We leave home on the 26th October and arrive in Ft Lauderdale on the 10th Nov. As this is a Sat, I'm assuming it would be busy night.

Sandra

My DH and I will be flying into FLL for our cruise out of Miami. Are flight is scheduled to arrive at 11:30pm on November 21, 2012. We are just looking for a clean room, airport shuttle (if possible) and maybe a place to pick up some soda for the cruise.

We are wanting to stay the night in FLL. Can anyone recommend a hotel for us? I have spent a week or more looking online but I would rather hear from CC members who have stayed at a hotel they liked.

Thank you for your help.

Thanks Royal.

Coconuts does seem to get good reviews (apart from the odd few...there is always someone who has a problem) We could get a taxi from Gallery One. Would we need to book in advance. We leave home on the 26th October and arrive in Ft Lauderdale on the 10th Nov. As this is a Sat, I'm assuming it would be busy night.

Sandra

I don't think Coconuts takes reservations but you can try. There might be about an hour wait on a Saturday night between 7 and 8:30 (peak) but they have a smallindoor/outdoor bar. Check the daily offerings board when you arrive as that is where you'll find the best food. My husband and his brother are from Devon, UK and they loved the halibut fish cakes which they sometimes have.

Edited by royalcruz

My DH and I will be flying into FLL for our cruise out of Miami. Are flight is scheduled to arrive at 11:30pm on November 21, 2012. We are just looking for a clean room, airport shuttle (if possible) and maybe a place to pick up some soda for the cruise.

We are wanting to stay the night in FLL. Can anyone recommend a hotel for us? I have spent a week or more looking online but I would rather hear from CC members who have stayed at a hotel they liked.

Thank you for your help.

Hampton Inn on Stirling Rd. is where we stay when flying into FLL and sailing out of Miami. They have a airport shuttle that will pick you up...Then we get a shuttle from Hampton Inn to the port on SAS. That is what we are doing again Jan. 2013...

Publix, Total Wine, and Duffy's are in the Harbor Shops and the Suntrolley stops there. There are a few other restaurants in the plaza but Duffy's is the most American style. Chuck's Steakhouse is on the opposite side of 17th St on the same block, so you should see it. You will have to catch the trolley across the street from the hotel to be headed in the right direction (50 cents each way). It stops when you flag it down. It stops running at 6:30PM. To get back by public bus (#40) the last bus leaves 17th St at 11:10 PM for 1.75 each way. Taxi fare is about $10.

The water taxi stop is across the street from the hotel and a block or two north...look for it after Bahia Cabana, at the marina. It costs $20pp for an all day pass, or $10 after 5 PM. It takes you up and down the intracoastal and the river. It is a 3 hr ride round trip and the last pickup is around 11. If you get off at the Gallery One stop, there is a Publix a block away across Sunrise Blvd. and you can buy wine there. There are lots of restaurants along the way. Honestly in January it is going to be a bit chilly and blowy on the boat after the sun goes down. If you have the chance to go on the water taxi in the daytime it will be really nice.

Royal you are a treasure. Thank you just doesn't seem enough for all the information you have shared. You have taken the angst out of our pre-cruise stay. Bless you for the service you provide to us cruisers. May you still be here next time we leave out of this port.

Royal you are a treasure. Thank you just doesn't seem enough for all the information you have shared. You have taken the angst out of our pre-cruise stay. Bless you for the service you provide to us cruisers. May you still be here next time we leave out of this port.

You are very welcome.

I second that.:) She was so helpful with all my questions before my first visit to Fort Lauderdale, she's amazing.