Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Hi I originally booked the Hilton marina for 2 days before my cruise and then the Doubletree Gallery One for 2 days after. I've been looking on this thread and people are saying the Hilton is not near a lot of dining/shopping ect. So I am having second thoughts I just don't want us to be bored. I was thinking of the Bahia Mar since it looks close to a lot of stuff and the beach or staying at the Doubletree Gallery One before the cruise as well. Does anyone have any suggestions for a hotel walking distance from happening areas? Dining/shopping/not too far from the beach or at least an inexpensive way to the beach (ie sun trolley) thanks in advance.

Hi I originally booked the Hilton marina for 2 days before my cruise and then the Doubletree Gallery One for 2 days after. I've been looking on this thread and people are saying the Hilton is not near a lot of dining/shopping ect. So I am having second thoughts I just don't want us to be bored. I was thinking of the Bahia Mar since it looks close to a lot of stuff and the beach or staying at the Doubletree Gallery One before the cruise as well. Does anyone have any suggestions for a hotel walking distance from happening areas? Dining/shopping/not too far from the beach or at least an inexpensive way to the beach (ie sun trolley) thanks in advance.

I agree with you that Bahia Mar is in a better area. The grounds at the Hilton are nicer, but I would choose BH for location. They are probably both the same distance from shopping and dining, but the beach area is a nicer area to walk around. The Hilton isn't in an area where people take a walk. The Gallery One is up near the other end of the beach so it will be a very different location.

Sleep Inn Dania Fl should be under $150. Has both air and cruise port shuttles, restaurant across street, as well as a Publix supermarket. In addition there is a Walgreens next door.

I second this recommendation. I stayed there in January 2012 and will be in January 2013 again. Also has a good breakfast included.

I agree with you that Bahia Mar is in a better area. The grounds at the Hilton are nicer, but I would choose BH for location. They are probably both the same distance from shopping and dining, but the beach area is a nicer area to walk around. The Hilton isn't in an area where people take a walk. The Gallery One is up near the other end of the beach so it will be a very different location.

Thx so much!!

Sleep Inn Dania Fl should be under $150. Has both air and cruise port shuttles, restaurant across street, as well as a Publix supermarket. In addition there is a Walgreens next door.
Thank you! If it's near the Publix I am thinking about, there is a GREAT Italian restaurant there. We ate there. The food was great, the portions HUGE. Well worth it!!! :D

If we have proirity debarktation can we make a 10:30 flight on Southwest. I think they have the express luggage also.

Can you make it - maybe? :confused: But do you want to spend your cruise worried about missing your return flight? :eek:

If we have proirity debarktation can we make a 10:30 flight on Southwest. I think they have the express luggage also.

On an avg day, you will make it if you do the self-embarkation and if nothing goes wrong. There are opportunities for issues with US Customs delaying disembarkation or not sending enough officers to the terminal lines, long security lines at the airport, or the taxi line not running smoothly (this one is rare). Not sure how express luggage would work with such an early flight.

On an avg day, you will make it if you do the self-embarkation and if nothing goes wrong. There are opportunities for issues with US Customs delaying disembarkation or not sending enough officers to the terminal lines, long security lines at the airport, or the taxi line not running smoothly (this one is rare). Not sure how express luggage would work with such an early flight.

I will get the later just for the comfort factor. Thanks for all your help

Flight must be after 11:30 to use luggage valet.

Thank you! If it's near the Publix I am thinking about, there is a GREAT Italian restaurant there. We ate there. The food was great, the portions HUGE. Well worth it!!! :D
This is the place. We like the mexican restaurant better but both are fine !

I'm torn between Hyatt Place north and Hilton marina. Hyatt is close to a lot plus they have free shuttles to the airport,free Internet and breakfast. Hilton looks amazing near the marina. Which would you pick?

I'm torn between Hyatt Place north and Hilton marina. Hyatt is close to a lot plus they have free shuttles to the airport,free Internet and breakfast. Hilton looks amazing near the marina. Which would you pick?

We have stayed at both and I would pick the Hyatt because of the location.

Stay at Hilton if you are looking at more of a resort pool stay. It's a very short walk to Walgreens, Bimini Boatyard, Bravo, and Market 17 from there. Stay at HP if you want many more convenient choices of places to eat, closer to wine store, and the freebies. Do read the reviews of each on Tripadvisor, as both hotels have issues.

Five years ago we stayed at a hotel I thought was named the Ft. Lauderdale Beach Hotel but I could be wrong or they may have changed the name of it. It was located across A1A from the beach. It had a pool with a Tiki Hut Bar on the beach side of the road as well as another Hotel to the left of the pool on the beach. What is the name of this Hotel now and is it any good?

Jim

Five years ago we stayed at a hotel I thought was named the Ft. Lauderdale Beach Hotel but I could be wrong or they may have changed the name of it. It was located across A1A from the beach. It had a pool with a Tiki Hut Bar on the beach side of the road as well as another Hotel to the left of the pool on the beach. What is the name of this Hotel now and is it any good?

Jim

That could be the Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort Hotel and Suites near Oakland Park Blvd. It's like a motel with a Tiki Bar, near a Winn Dixie. The recent Tripadvisor reviews are all either horrible or very good. When I see that, I am suspicious of the good ones because the hotel could have asked people to write those for balance.

That could be the Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort Hotel and Suites near Oakland Park Blvd. It's like a motel with a Tiki Bar, near a Winn Dixie. The recent Tripadvisor reviews are all either horrible or very good. When I see that, I am suspicious of the good ones because the hotel could have asked people to write those for balance.

Thanks royalcruz. I believe your right there was a wynn dixie right behind it. We also noticed a bunch of smaller more private looking properties with maybe two or four rooms on the beach just going south of there. Is there some like those that we could rent reasonably? We don't need a large 4 star hotel but we don't want a rundown motel 6 either. I just think it would be great to find a good small private place on the beach that most people don't know about.

Jim

Edited by flatman

Thanks royalcruz. I believe your right there was a wynn dixie right behind it. We also noticed a bunch of smaller more private looking properties with maybe two or four rooms on the beach just going south of there. Is there some like those that we could rent reasonably? We don't need a large 4 star hotel but we don't want a rundown motel 6 either. I just think it would be great to find a good small private place on the beach that most people don't know about.

Jim

Most of the little hotels in the area are not on the beach, just like the one you stayed in. There is a road between Ocean Blvd and the beach. Just south of there on the beach there are big condos and then private homes. About a mile south there are a few little hotels....Lafayette Motel gets terrible reviews on Tripadvisor. There are a couple of hostels. Sun Tower Suites gets great reviews and is right on the beach. 1-2 miles north of where you stayed is Lauderdale by the Sea. There are a few dozen little hotels, some on the beach, some across the street, some on Ocean Blvd. They are not inexpensive but aren't expensive either. High Noon looks really nice and is on the beach.

Royal, what is the little hotel right across the street from the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach resort? Is it worth looking into? Bob

The only ones I can think of are Harbor Beach Inn and Days Inn/Bahia Cabana and they both get pretty bad reviews.

Hi all,

My first time cruising out of Fort Lauderdale. Just 2 adults, mid-40's with no health issues aside from a tendency to overpack, lol. A co-worker recommends a taxi from airport to pier rather than a shuttle - said it's cheaper. Would you all agree? Any idea on a cost/time? Rough estimate is fine, not looking for anything exact, just want to make sure taxi driver doesn't try to pad the trip/fare by taking us on a 2 hour tour of the city.

Thanks,

Robin

Hi all,

My first time cruising out of Fort Lauderdale. Just 2 adults, mid-40's with no health issues aside from a tendency to overpack, lol. A co-worker recommends a taxi from airport to pier rather than a shuttle - said it's cheaper. Would you all agree? Any idea on a cost/time? Rough estimate is fine, not looking for anything exact, just want to make sure taxi driver doesn't try to pad the trip/fare by taking us on a 2 hour tour of the city.

Thanks,

Robin

Taxi is definitely the best choice. There should be many many taxis waiting at the airport. Expect to pay about $15 -$18 plus a tip. It is only about a 8 to 10 minute drive. You can actually see the port from certain areas of the airport, that's how close they are.