Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Thanks royal Cruz, we can handle that... I was afraid we were out in the boonies ;)

Thanks again!

Sheraton isn't in the boonies at all but it is at the far south end of the commercial area, so it is a little further than other hotels to the main area. Just bring good walking shoes and you'll have a great time.

Hi I have read through many pages of this thread and I think I've made my mind up on a hotel and then read about another and change my mind :o.

I don't know the area at all (coming from New Zealand). We will be staying for 4 nights before our Panama Canal cruise. We won't have any transport. What hotel do you think would be the best for us? We would like to have restaurants and if possible shop nearby. A nice hotel pool would be good. (although we will be staying in January and I'm not sure if that will be swimming weather?). We plan to do a bus tour down to Florida Keys one day and a tour around Fort Lauderdale another day.

I know there has been many discussions on hotels but there are so many pages to read through (I will read them all before I sail :).

Would love your recommendations. Thanks in advance

Hi I have read through many pages of this thread and I think I've made my mind up on a hotel and then read about another and change my mind :o.

I don't know the area at all (coming from New Zealand). We will be staying for 4 nights before our Panama Canal cruise. We won't have any transport. What hotel do you think would be the best for us? We would like to have restaurants and if possible shop nearby. A nice hotel pool would be good. (although we will be staying in January and I'm not sure if that will be swimming weather?). We plan to do a bus tour down to Florida Keys one day and a tour around Fort Lauderdale another day.

I know there has been many discussions on hotels but there are so many pages to read through (I will read them all before I sail :).

Would love your recommendations. Thanks in advance

For me, January is not beach or pool weather, but it might be for you if there is not a cold spell. Look at Gallery One and Riverside. These are in the best shopping areas of Fort Lauderdale and there are lots of restaurants nearby. They have pools. The nicest pool in the area is at Westin Diplomat in Hollywood, but there isn't a lot right around the hotel. On Fort Lauderdale beach, the pool deck areas are really nice at Marriott Harbor Beach, Ritz Carlton, and W Hotel...there isn't a lot of shopping in the area but it's easy to get to Galleria Mall from there. For more than a night or 2 do not stay near the airport or cruiseport as there isn't much to do there.

Edited by royalcruz

For me, January is not beach or pool weather, but it might be for you if there is not a cold spell. Look at Gallery One and Riverside. These are in the best shopping areas of Fort Lauderdale and there are lots of restaurants nearby. They have pools. The nicest pool in the area is at Westin Diplomat in Hollywood, but there isn't a lot right around the hotel. On Fort Lauderdale beach, the pool deck areas are really nice at Marriott Harbor Beach, Ritz Carlton, and W Hotel...there isn't a lot of shopping in the area but it's easy to get to Galleria Mall from there. For more than a night or 2 do not stay near the airport or cruiseport as there isn't much to do there.

Thanks so much - I will have a look at the hotels you suggest. Thanks also for giving an indication of what location to stay in as I would have not had any idea. There's no need for us to stay near the port area as we can catch a cab to the port. We sail on a Friday (hopefully not a busy port day?)

Anyway thanks again.

Hi, we are booked at The Westin Beach Resort in Fort Lauderdale and was wondering if anyone has stayed there and what your opinion is? Also if there are any restaurants and shopping areas within walking distance from here? Thanks for your response in advance.

We are cruising in during October and have decided to spend the night in Ft. Lauderdale . . . luckily we have enough Hilton Honors reward points to get a free room [ with no other vacations soon, or the need to save any of the rewards ] . Both the Hilton at the Marina and the Hilton Beach Resort look wonderful . .any thoughts. We do like to have a view and be able to have a neighborhood of places to walk.

We are renting a car from the Tampa airport. We are turning our car in to Hertz at the FLL airport. I cannot get anyone to answer the phone locally. Is there a shuttle to the cruise port from the airport (or possibly from Hertz itself) or does my husband need to take a taxi from the airport to the cruise port? I keep trying to call the local number, but get bumped into the national res. system. I appreciate your help. Thanks.

2 couples coming from Richmond Virginia, sailing on the Carnival Liberty Jan 19, 2013. We are looking at flying down on the 18th, to make sure we take the weather and mechanicals out of the equation. Looking for recommendations for whether to stay in FLL over night, and then going to MIA, or would it be better going straight to MIA and staying overnight there. Flight arrives around 8pm into FLL. Not looking for anything special, just a safe and clean place, keeping the $$$ for the cruising! Thanks!

Hi! This is a super helpful thread! I bet my question has been answered but I didn't see it in the most recent several pages. H and I will be landing at FLL at 10:15 a.m. and need to stop somewhere to buy sunblock on our way to the port (sailing in Allure). We plan to take a cab from the airport to the cruise terminal. Where is the best place to stop? I did see where you suggested to someone to not go to Walgreens, rather go to Publix south of 17th street on Cordova. Is this the best place for us? Thank you for the help!

Hi, we are booked at The Westin Beach Resort in Fort Lauderdale and was wondering if anyone has stayed there and what your opinion is? Also if there are any restaurants and shopping areas within walking distance from here? Thanks for your response in advance.

I booked the Westing Beach Resort & Spa this past January & I ended up not being able to go. However, my family still went & stayed here. Scored a deal on Hotwire.. $39.00 total per night. It was an amazing score needless to say. They loved loved loved it! I rebooked for March but couldn't get a deal on this property so I stayed somewhere else. I did see the Westin from the Beach area. It's totally walking distance to many resturants along the beach. Beach Place has many bar/resturants you can enjoy. It was Spring Break when we were there March 8-19 so it was crazy with college kids. Lots to watch. LOL

Have a great cruise! Enjoy your stay....

Sue

Thanks so much - I will have a look at the hotels you suggest. Thanks also for giving an indication of what location to stay in as I would have not had any idea. There's no need for us to stay near the port area as we can catch a cab to the port. We sail on a Friday (hopefully not a busy port day?)

Anyway thanks again.

Friday is not a busy port day. Have fun!

Turn right on a1a and walk a few blocks and you will run into lots of restaurants and a few shops. Keep going and you'll find even more. Take the trolley north to Gallery Mall for better shopping. It's only about 1.5 miles away.

We are cruising in during October and have decided to spend the night in Ft. Lauderdale . . . luckily we have enough Hilton Honors reward points to get a free room [ with no other vacations soon, or the need to save any of the rewards ] . Both the Hilton at the Marina and the Hilton Beach Resort look wonderful . .any thoughts. We do like to have a view and be able to have a neighborhood of places to walk.

Hilton Marina isn't in much of a walking neighborhood. Go for the Hilton Beach hotel. It's much newer and in a great area for walks. Walk south (turn right on A1A) from there as there isn't much worth seeing the other way.

We are renting a car from the Tampa airport. We are turning our car in to Hertz at the FLL airport. I cannot get anyone to answer the phone locally. Is there a shuttle to the cruise port from the airport (or possibly from Hertz itself) or does my husband need to take a taxi from the airport to the cruise port? I keep trying to call the local number, but get bumped into the national res. system. I appreciate your help. Thanks.

No, but I believe that the Hertz Port Everglades location by the Crowne Plaza does have the free shuttle to the port. Maybe you can transfer your reservation to there. If not, the taxi will only cost $15.

double post

Edited by royalcruz

2 couples coming from Richmond Virginia, sailing on the Carnival Liberty Jan 19, 2013. We are looking at flying down on the 18th, to make sure we take the weather and mechanicals out of the equation. Looking for recommendations for whether to stay in FLL over night, and then going to MIA, or would it be better going straight to MIA and staying overnight there. Flight arrives around 8pm into FLL. Not looking for anything special, just a safe and clean place, keeping the $$$ for the cruising! Thanks!

Fort Lauderdale hotels tend to be less expensive. Look at Sleep Inn Dania for a decent place with a free shuttle from FLL, and prebook a shuttle to POM on SAS Transportation.

Hi! This is a super helpful thread! I bet my question has been answered but I didn't see it in the most recent several pages. H and I will be landing at FLL at 10:15 a.m. and need to stop somewhere to buy sunblock on our way to the port (sailing in Allure). We plan to take a cab from the airport to the cruise terminal. Where is the best place to stop? I did see where you suggested to someone to not go to Walgreens, rather go to Publix south of 17th street on Cordova. Is this the best place for us? Thank you for the help!

I think you'll find shorter lines at CVS on the corner of US1 and SE 17th St. Publix and Walgreens are a few blocks closer to the hotels and port (so busier) but CVS is still right along the same route.

I think you'll find shorter lines at CVS on the corner of US1 and SE 17th St. Publix and Walgreens are a few blocks closer to the hotels and port (so busier) but CVS is still right along the same route.

Great, thank you!

I booked the Westing Beach Resort & Spa this past January & I ended up not being able to go. However, my family still went & stayed here. Scored a deal on Hotwire.. $39.00 total per night. It was an amazing score needless to say. They loved loved loved it! I rebooked for March but couldn't get a deal on this property so I stayed somewhere else. I did see the Westin from the Beach area. It's totally walking distance to many resturants along the beach. Beach Place has many bar/resturants you can enjoy. It was Spring Break when we were there March 8-19 so it was crazy with college kids. Lots to watch. LOL

Have a great cruise! Enjoy your stay....

Sue

Hi Sue! Thanks for answering my questions. I also got Westin from Hotwire, but didn't get the deals you did. Although I believe we did get a deal considering we are going during the summer. I was alittle nervous there would be no restaurants within walking distance. So thanks for your reply.

Turn right on a1a and walk a few blocks and you will run into lots of restaurants and a few shops. Keep going and you'll find even more. Take the trolley north to Gallery Mall for better shopping. It's only about 1.5 miles away.

Hi royalcruz! Thanks for your response. I wrote it down in my notebook of info of our cruise this summer.

My FIL has our party of 6 (2 rooms) booked for a 2 night pre-cruise stay late July, at the Best Western Plus Oakland Park Inn, 3001 N. Federal Hwy. Ft. Laud. He booked it for it's free shuttle service to the pier and continental breakfast, rate was $79.99 + tx per night. Is anyone familiar with this Best Western? We don't have a rental car so I'm hoping that there's a store within walking distance for last minute supplies like water, soda, sunscreen, etc. and maybe a restaurant within walking distance too? I've read reviews on tripadvisor - some like it/some don't. Any input appreciated!

My FIL has our party of 6 (2 rooms) booked for a 2 night pre-cruise stay late July, at the Best Western Plus Oakland Park Inn, 3001 N. Federal Hwy. Ft. Laud. He booked it for it's free shuttle service to the pier and continental breakfast, rate was $79.99 + tx per night. Is anyone familiar with this Best Western? We don't have a rental car so I'm hoping that there's a store within walking distance for last minute supplies like water, soda, sunscreen, etc. and maybe a restaurant within walking distance too? I've read reviews on tripadvisor - some like it/some don't. Any input appreciated!

I've read the tripadvisor reviews also, but here's what I can tell you as a local...this place looks like an old motel. It's not near the port or airport, about 7 miles north of that area. It's an ok neighborhood, though, full of shops and restaurants if you can walk a few blocks. Turn left on US1/N. Federal Hwy and walk a few blocks and you'll come to Oakland Park Blvd. You'll pass a few restaurants along the way, including The Mason Jar and Danny's Pizza. Cross Oak Pk Blvd and cross US1 and you'll come to a discount indoor mall. At the north end there is a Publix where you can buy what you need. Behind the mall there is an AMC cinema. Just before Oak Pk Blvd, across the street, are 2 interesting shopping centers that have a few consignment shops. A block past the mall is Kyojin Japanese Buffet. If you turn right from the motel on US 1 and go a few blocks you'll come to Fort Lauderdale Ale House and Original Pancake House.

Edited by royalcruz