Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

SO....then if I wait on a cab...how long will it take AND can I 'reserve' a CAB in advance? How? There are so many options and I am so afraid of being late or taken advantage of.....our plane lands at 12:30 and we have to be on board before 3....yikes!!! ANY ONE???Please and thank you!

From FLL to port everglades? 10-15 bucks PER CAB, NOT per person...plus tip..give or take a few bucks...

don't do the shuttle....cabs are faster, cheaper and you won't have to wait for the shuttle to fill up

SO....then if I wait on a cab...how long will it take AND can I 'reserve' a CAB in advance? How? There are so many options and I am so afraid of being late or taken advantage of.....our plane lands at 12:30 and we have to be on board before 3....yikes!!! ANY ONE???Please and thank you!

I don't think you can reserve a taxi at the airport. You just go outside and I think there is a taxi line and you get the next available taxi. There are always lots of taxis waiting to get passengers. When you reserve private transportation you have to find them and they have to find you. It's just easier to get a cab at any airport. Port Everglades is 5 minutes away, but it just takes a few minutes to get through the security gate.

Edited by royalcruz

Hello,

Any recent experiences with this hotel? Is the area suitable for walking? Not planning on renting a car, but I know we'd like to leave the hotel for a while, provided that we arrive in the afternoon. It looks nice enough, but most hotels look pretty fine on-line! We don't require (or wish to pay for) a luxury hotel but we definitely want very clean and comfortable digs, even if for a single night.

The first cruise I took with DH many years ago started on a very sour note as we stayed in a total dive in Miami Beach. We left the room before sunrise and drove until we found an open mall. Despite there being no stores or even a coffee shop open, we felt cleaner and safer in that mall. I want this vacation getting off to a happy start!

No hotels by the beach have free airport shuttles but many can arrange transport for you. At the beach I would suggest Westin, Sheraton, Courtyard, Bahia Mar, or Marriott bbbbbeeeeeeaaaaaaacccccchhhhhhhh ppppppllllllllaaaaaaacccccceee

Hi royalruz, i've checked those hotels you mentioned for the dates I'll be there and prices are pretty steep $$$$ (must be a convention or high season (spring break)) : (

i found something in my price range. can you suggest between Hyatt Pier 66 and Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Hotel At Port Everglades. Can you recommend which is better? They seem to be both close to water taxi to get us to the beach and Las Olas right ? many thanks!

Hello,

Any recent experiences with this hotel? Is the area suitable for walking? Not planning on renting a car, but I know we'd like to leave the hotel for a while, provided that we arrive in the afternoon. It looks nice enough, but most hotels look pretty fine on-line! We don't require (or wish to pay for) a luxury hotel but we definitely want very clean and comfortable digs, even if for a single night.

The first cruise I took with DH many years ago started on a very sour note as we stayed in a total dive in Miami Beach. We left the room before sunrise and drove until we found an open mall. Despite there being no stores or even a coffee shop open, we felt cleaner and safer in that mall. I want this vacation getting off to a happy start!

it's fine...lots to do within walking distance...OR with these

http://www.suntrolley.com

http://www.watertaxi.com

and this is just behind the hotel

http://www.theharbourshops.com

Hi royalruz, i've checked those hotels you mentioned for the dates I'll be there and prices are pretty steep $$$$ (must be a convention or high season (spring break)) : (

i found something in my price range. can you suggest between Hyatt Pier 66 and Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Hotel At Port Everglades. Can you recommend which is better? They seem to be both close to water taxi to get us to the beach and Las Olas right ? many thanks!

the Hyatt is a little more 'resort like' and the ren is a little more hotel like..the Ren is on the side of the causeway bridge where all the "STUFF" is....the hyatt you'd have a long walk,

i think there is a water taxi at the hilton (or near) and that's not far.

here is a link to my pix from the Ren

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/111807794425429187458/albums/5489029105440814513/5489029575115162370

Edited by megr1125

the Hyatt is a little more 'resort like' and the ren is a little more hotel like..the Ren is on the side of the causeway bridge where all the "STUFF" is....the hyatt you'd have a long walk,

i think there is a water taxi at the hilton (or near) and that's not far.

here is a link to my pix from the Ren

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/111807794425429187458/albums/5489029105440814513/5489029575115162370

From your pics, I think I'm sold on the Ren! thanks! we'll prob walk to the water taxi (10 mins walk) so we can do the beach, and activities! thanks

Hello,

I think you will be pleased with the ES. It's safe and clean, and in a good area. You can walk to restaurants. It's on a busy road.

They are both good choices Hyatt has its own water taxi stop...Renaissance is 2 blocks walk from the water taxi. Hyatt is more of a resort, a nicer property to walk around, but it is older...ask for a tower room there for a better experience.

We'll be getting off a cruise on my husband's birthday and checking into the Marriott Beach Place Towers. Any suggestions for a nice restaurant (good food and nice atmosphere, but not really dressy) close to that resort? Thanks for any tips.

Check out Casablanca Cafe. They have great food and it is in a historic home across from the beach. They don't take reservations, so just put your name in as soon as you arrive. The wait can run up to an hour at peak times. We usually put our names in and go for a walk around the neighborhood. They also have a piano bar. People dress anywhere from resort casual to smart casual dinner attire. The nicest restaurants are in the hotels but if you don't want to dress up at all, then avoid them. The best steak/seafood house is 954 Steak in the W Hotel....jackets and ties are not expected but people dress nicely....they take reservations.

Edited by royalcruz

Our flight out from FLL is at 5:15pm which gives us pretty much a day with no plans.

Given that we'll have luggage with us (and for a 2 week cruise that won't be a small amount), I was thinking of renting a car.

Do you have any suggestions for handling the luggage if we don't get a car and things we should be sure and do?

We did the Airboat ride last year when we got back from a cruise and don't think I'd want to do that again.

I would have loved to stay a day or so, but vacation time was at a premium.:p

Our flight out from FLL is at 5:15pm which gives us pretty much a day with no plans.

Given that we'll have luggage with us (and for a 2 week cruise that won't be a small amount), I was thinking of renting a car.

Do you have any suggestions for handling the luggage if we don't get a car and things we should be sure and do?

We did the Airboat ride last year when we got back from a cruise and don't think I'd want to do that again.

I would have loved to stay a day or so, but vacation time was at a premium.:p

The only thing to do with luggage other than a rental car or excursion is to pay for express luggage handling from the ship to the airport if it is offered by the cruiseline.

Check out Casablanca Cafe. They have great food and it is in a historic home across from the beach. They don't take reservations, so just put your name in as soon as you arrive. The wait can run up to an hour at peak times. We usually put our names in and go for a walk around the neighborhood. They also have a piano bar. People dress anywhere from resort casual to smart casual dinner attire. The nicest restaurants are in the hotels but if you don't want to dress up at all, then avoid them. The best steak/seafood house is 954 Steak in the W Hotel....jackets and ties are not expected but people dress nicely....they take reservations.

Thanks for the restaurant tip, Royalcruz - that one is also well-liked on Trip Advisor - we'll try it on his birthday.

Our plane from FLL does not leave until 3 pm. Looking for a restaurant or ?? near the port to spend a few hours. Will have elderly parents who do not want to rent a car or do an excursion so will be taking a taxi. Anyone have a link to a map of the area?

Thanks for any suggestions. Laurie

Our plane from FLL does not leave until 3 pm. Looking for a restaurant or ?? near the port to spend a few hours. Will have elderly parents who do not want to rent a car or do an excursion so will be taking a taxi. Anyone have a link to a map of the area?

Thanks for any suggestions. Laurie

Use Mapquest, plug in Embassy Suites or Renaissance Hotel and then click on restaurants. This is the area just outside the port.

.... you will also walk by Coconuts which is casual but nicer than Bahia Cabana

I have been reading through this thread for quite some time, and you are a wealth of info;)

So, I thought I would ask for your suggestions.

My DW and DS (15) and I will be landing in Ft Lauderdale on June 22 in the morning and checking in to the Sheraton Beach Hotel for our stay prior to cruise on 23rd.

Just figuring on getting a cab from the airport, checking in ...... then what for the day and for dinner.

What would you suggest? Right now, think I will just sit around the pool in the daytime (is the hotel on the beach?), then walk to dinner somewhere, but, if you have any suggestions, they would be appreciated.

We stayed there a few years back when it was the Yankee Clipper. At that time I think it was about the ONLY hotel that was directly on the beach. We did not eat there; think we ate at Shula's on the Beach....which was very good (a steak house). Don't know if you ever saw the movie "Where the Boys Are" or not, but some scenes were shot there--most prominently the bar scene with the windows into the pool.

We stayed there a few years back when it was the Yankee Clipper. At that time I think it was about the ONLY hotel that was directly on the beach. We did not eat there; think we ate at Shula's on the Beach....which was very good (a steak house). Don't know if you ever saw the movie "Where the Boys Are" or not, but some scenes were shot there--most prominently the bar scene with the windows into the pool.

Just did some googling and got some pix, and I see that it is right on the beach, has a couple of pools, so, sun, sand, and water (and beer) .... I am happy.

Appreciate any input, suggestions, etc.

I have been reading through this thread for quite some time, and you are a wealth of info;)

So, I thought I would ask for your suggestions.

My DW and DS (15) and I will be landing in Ft Lauderdale on June 22 in the morning and checking in to the Sheraton Beach Hotel for our stay prior to cruise on 23rd.

Just figuring on getting a cab from the airport, checking in ...... then what for the day and for dinner.

What would you suggest? Right now, think I will just sit around the pool in the daytime (is the hotel on the beach?), then walk to dinner somewhere, but, if you have any suggestions, they would be appreciated.

Sheraton is right on the beach but some rooms are across the street. My friend said that the new Mexican restaurant in the hotel is awesome. If you want an upscale dinner (reservations required and dress nicely), 3030 in the Marriott Harbor Beach (less than a block away) is great, and there is a casual restaurant on the beach there too (I haven't tried it). Bahia Cabana is across the street and fun (really casual, the tables and benches are old painted wood, overlooking marina). Coconuts is great, about 6-8 blocks away. Also, put on some great walking shoes and walk the beachfront sidewalk up to Beach Place. You'll find fun drinking establishments there and along the way. You'll even run into some live entertainment. The best draft beer selection is at Biergarden just past Courtyard up a sidewalk alleyway.In the daytime, if it isn't beach weather take the trolley to Galleria Mall or Las Olas Blvd.

Edited by royalcruz

I have a question regarding shuttle service from

Best Western, Oakland Park to Port of Miami and return

to Ft. Lauderdale Airport.

Does you know a shuttle that offers service from this hotel.

I am having trouble finding one.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.