Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Any suggestions for activities in Ft. Lauderdale with 5 & 6 year old boys? We are debarking the Oasis on 4/7 and decided to spend an extra day and fly home on the 8th. We'll be staying at the Embassy Suites on 17th. Looking for ideas of things to do.

Thanks! :)

Hello,

Ahhhhhh.... I'm so consumed with scoring a deal on Hot wire. LOL Tonight I scored the Hyatt Place Airport North (10th Street) for $65.00 including taxes & fees.. so now I'm staying March 8th @ at the Hyatt, then going to the Bahia Mar for March 9th. I'm saving about $150.00 by doing this! Our flight arrive at 10:30pm.. so I just couldn't justify staying at the Bahia Mar at a premium rate!!! Kind of a pain to switch hotels but it's only $15.00 cab ride away... can't complain!

Sue

Any comments about the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina? I'm booked there 1 night pre cruise and 3 nights post cruise in late Sept/early Oct.

Anything to do in the area? I see it's one of the water taxi stops, so that's great. Allows me to get around at a decent cost.

Any suggestions for activities in Ft. Lauderdale with 5 & 6 year old boys? We are debarking the Oasis on 4/7 and decided to spend an extra day and fly home on the 8th. We'll be staying at the Embassy Suites on 17th. Looking for ideas of things to do.

Thanks! :)

There aren't really any family activities near ES other than the hotel pool. Duffy's Sports Bar & Grill and Carlos & Pepes are family friendly and are on the same block. A few miles away are Boomer's and Dave & Busters and cinemas. The public beach access is a couple of miles away. The water taxi is about a half mile away and provides a 3 hour guided tour.

Any comments about the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina? I'm booked there 1 night pre cruise and 3 nights post cruise in late Sept/early Oct.

Anything to do in the area? I see it's one of the water taxi stops, so that's great. Allows me to get around at a decent cost.

It's a bit of a hike to anywhere from there, other than a few restaurants a long block away. For 3 nights I would much rather be at one of the beach area hotels, not just for the beach, but there are lots of bars, shops, and restaurants to walk to. The water taxi at the hotel is a bonus.

It's a bit of a hike to anywhere from there, other than a few restaurants a long block away. For 3 nights I would much rather be at one of the beach area hotels, not just for the beach, but there are lots of bars, shops, and restaurants to walk to. The water taxi at the hotel is a bonus.

Thanks!! I wanted to get a beach front hotel, but they were all quite expensive. The Hilton was $130 cheaper than the Beachcombers, so that extra money will allow me to get around.

How far is it from the beach? Would the water taxi take me there? The 3 post cruise days, I'm really just looking to unwind and connect with family that lives in the area.

Edited by Virtopia

Thanks!! I wanted to get a beach front hotel, but they were all quite expensive. The Hilton was $130 cheaper than the Beachcombers, so that extra money will allow me to get around.

How far is it from the beach? Would the water taxi take me there? The 3 post cruise days, I'm really just looking to unwind and connect with family that lives in the area.

The beach is only about a mile away, but public beach access is a couple of miles (it's all condos and hotels before that). The water taxi will take you to the beach. The Beach Place stop is good because there are bathrooms and bars and restaurants across from the beach. You can also take the bus #40 or suntrolley, much less expensive than water taxi.

Sure, it has been asked many times - how far is Billy's(stone crabs) from Park Hyatt Pier 66. Walkable, taxi or water taxi?

Thanks again,

Dawn

It's a few miles south. I think the water taxi Hollywood extension stops by there.

The beach is only about a mile away, but public beach access is a couple of miles (it's all condos and hotels before that). The water taxi will take you to the beach. The Beach Place stop is good because there are bathrooms and bars and restaurants across from the beach. You can also take the bus #40 or suntrolley, much less expensive than water taxi.

Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it :D

Hi,

I'm hopeful for some good advice on getting to and from the terminal on both ends. We will be sailing Carnival Freedom 8/11/12 but will be spending three days on the front end and one day on the back end. It is myself, DW, and two teenagers. I have a car rented for all days from an airport rental but am confused on the best option to get us to the terminal on the front end and back to the airport on the back end. On the front end we will be staying in the Weston area so can easily get back to the airport to drop the car and on the back end we are staying at the Hyatt Pier 66 so not sure the best way to get to the airport to pick the car up again for that day. We are renting through SixT rentals(hope it is good cause price was good). I'm hopeful someone can assist here with best transfer options and would it be best to all come with the transfer carrier or only myself and come back and pick the family up? Thanks for any help!

Hi,

I'm hopeful for some good advice on getting to and from the terminal on both ends. We will be sailing Carnival Freedom 8/11/12 but will be spending three days on the front end and one day on the back end. It is myself, DW, and two teenagers. I have a car rented for all days from an airport rental but am confused on the best option to get us to the terminal on the front end and back to the airport on the back end. On the front end we will be staying in the Weston area so can easily get back to the airport to drop the car and on the back end we are staying at the Hyatt Pier 66 so not sure the best way to get to the airport to pick the car up again for that day. We are renting through SixT rentals(hope it is good cause price was good). I'm hopeful someone can assist here with best transfer options and would it be best to all come with the transfer carrier or only myself and come back and pick the family up? Thanks for any help!

I looked at the SixT website (I'm assuming from your posting that you are only using the airport location) and I think this would be a good plan...Drive rental car from Weston to Port Everglades. Drop off wife and one or two daughters, and all luggage. Drop off car and taxi back to terminal. A taxi will cost about $10-15 but can't hold all of you and your luggage.

Hyatt Pier 66 is a $10 taxi ride from the terminal. Send the family and take a taxi yourself to SixT to get your car.

When you return the car, they will shuttle all of you to the airport for free.

According to the website, if you rent from their port location instead, they will pick you up for free from the terminal and drop you off there for free. The airport location offers the free shuttle from the airport. Maybe if you call them you will find that both locations offer shuttles to both airport and port.

I'm leaving on the Carnival Freedom on 10/14/12.

I booked the two nights prior at the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina.

This appears to be VERY close to port. Is it walkable close? Or would taking a quick cab ride be advisable?

Any help very appreciated...Our shuttle will be dropping us off at FLL around 11:00am and our flight don't leave till 4:45pm, I see there is a trolley that we could ride a loop to sight see but whats the best way to get to it and where at? Will we have enough time to do this or would it be best for us to get a taxi and head for the beach, what area with stores and resturants and about how much would the taxi cost?

TIA, Kym

Hi there,

I'm sorry if this has been asked before. I'm looking for something relatively close to Sawgrass mall, continental breakfast would be great. There are 5 of us. Reasonably priced would be great.

Any suggestions?

I'm leaving on the Carnival Freedom on 10/14/12.

I booked the two nights prior at the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina.

This appears to be VERY close to port. Is it walkable close? Or would taking a quick cab ride be advisable?

You need to take a cab. The port entrance is a couple of blocks away but the Carnival terminal is a mile or 2 away.

Any help very appreciated...Our shuttle will be dropping us off at FLL around 11:00am and our flight don't leave till 4:45pm, I see there is a trolley that we could ride a loop to sight see but whats the best way to get to it and where at? Will we have enough time to do this or would it be best for us to get a taxi and head for the beach, what area with stores and resturants and about how much would the taxi cost?

TIA, Kym

Don't go to the airport. Ask a taxi to take you to Beach Place from the cruise terminal. It will cost about $15-20, then about $20 to the airport from there. There is beach, stores, restaurants, bars, and restrooms. You'll be able to find a taxi either at Beach Place or at the Ritz Carlton next door (or call). If you prefer to take the Suntrolley, take a taxi to 17th St for $10, then flag down a trolley.

Edited by royalcruz

Hi there,

I'm sorry if this has been asked before. I'm looking for something relatively close to Sawgrass mall, continental breakfast would be great. There are 5 of us. Reasonably priced would be great.

Any suggestions?

The closest hotel is Doubletree (it used to be Crowne Plaza). I don't think they have free breakfast. The next closest are the 2 LaQuintas in Sunrise, a mile or 2 away, and they do have breakfast. They all get good reviews. Other hotels just a few miles away with breakfast included are Hyatt Place, Hampton Inn, and LaQuinta, all in Plantation near Broward Westfield Mall and restaurants.

Not seeing a lot of love or comments about the Holiday Inn Convention-Cruise Ctr. We are staying here the day before our cruise. I have Priority Club so I used reward points so cost was not an issue. Just curious about the location and if there are things to do in that area as we will arrive in the AM on Saturday March 17th for our Sunday cruise.

Looking for hotel suggestions that:

a) have a shuttle from the FLL airport to the hotel

b) have a view of the water/beach/port

c) are a cheap taxi ride from the hotel to the cruise port the next morning (not interested in shuttle from hotel to cruise terminal because we like to be there early and don't want to wait on others to get to shuttle)

thanks for any/all suggestions!

Hi there,

Any suggestions?

Check the Holiday Inn Express on 17th Street. I'm not sure how close it is to Sawgrass.