Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Sorry if someone has already answered this elsewhere in this thread...as it's well over 110 pages I didn't read ALL of it.[since I'm sitting here at work right now...]..:D.

We will be staying at the 17th st Renaissance Marriott in October before our Allure cruise...just looking for any information about the surrounding area as we'll be there two days before the cruise and one after. Where's the best place to go to see the Oasis setsail? Any info is welcome...:)

The most convenient place to see the Oasis (or any ship) sail away is the top of the 17th St bridge which is one block from your hotel. There's a viewing platform that hangs out over the water and you're out of the way of sidewalk traffic. The ship sails from Terminal 18 and then has to swing to face east to exit the channel. At that time you will have a perfect side angle for your picture taking and you'll be far enough from the ship to get it all in one picture.

The general area around is quite safe but if you walk westbound I suggest you do not pass SE 10th Ave as there is nothing touristy over there. If you want to go downtown (200 blk of SW 2nd St-bars and restaurants, docks etc..) it's only about a $8 cab ride. There is a GREAT italian restaurant next to the hotel called Bravo Italiano and their lunch prices are mostly under $10 and the food is very good. Dinners are mostly under $20. It's a must do. For excellent seafood go to Kelly's Landings, one block north of SE 17th St on Cordova. It's the endcap of the shopping center.

For personal items, betteries etc... do NOT go to the Walgreens across from your hotel as it is very expensive. There is a Publix supermarket one block south of 17th St on Cordova as well as more restaurants.

Lastly, if you take a cab anywhere make sure the driver turns the meter ON and it reads under $3 at start-up. If they say there is a flat rate then firmly state "Flat rates are not allowed, now turn the meter on or show me your Hack License!" He'll then turn the meter on. NOTE: When being picked up INSIDE Port Everglades there is a $10 minimum as required by law. They are supposed to still turn the meter on but if it reads under $10 at the destination they are allowed to still charge you $10. There's a sticker on the rear cab windows that explain this.

Hope this helps.

I'm back! I make way too many changes! LOL

Okay, so I will now only be staying one night pre cruise and will be leaving the same day we return, so no longer staying 3 nights post cruise.

Because of this change, I want to upgrade my pre cruise hotel and don't mind shelling out a bit more.

I'm looking for a hotel that has free airport and/or cruise port shuttle, relatively close to the water and free internet and/or breakfast.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! I don't want to exceed $200 (I'll be splitting it with my friend, so $100 each is the max)

Go to Hotels.com and search zip code 33316 and surrounding areas. Any hotel along SE 17th St - EAST of SE 10th Ave should be decent. Even if you don't book through Hotels.com it will still provide you with the info you are looking for.

I've looked for this, but can't find an answer. Gorgeous wife and I are taking Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam out of Fort Lauderdale on December 9 returning on the 16th. WE then board Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas for another 7 days on the 16th.

Are the two cruise terminals close enough to walk over to? I know here in Los Angeles at one cruise port the terminals are really close together, except for Carnival. Their port is separate, about 10 miles away.

Thanks

They SHOULD be right next to each other but their Terminal assignment is always subject to change. If they are not very close to each other than, as another poster stated, spend the taxi $10 min, you won't regret it. If you have internet access upon arrival at the port, go to http://marinetraffic.com/ais/ (do not type http://WWW.) and go to the drop down menu of ports and click Ft Lauderdale. Then scroll your cursor over the blue squares and the ship name will be revealed. If you do not have internet access just ask the cruise reps in the terminal and if that fails then ask one of the deputy sheriff's who are directing traffic. They will likely be very busy so make it a quick question. Terminals 18-26 are very close to each other. Terminals 2-4 are about 1.5 miles away from there. If either of your ships is at Terminal #29 be advised that there are no sidewalks to or from that terminal and it's very heavy vehicle traffic as there is only one way in/out. DO NOT TRY TO WALK TO OR FROM T29! More info about PEV can be found at www.porteverlades.net.

I've read through this thread quite a bit, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of information about Park and Cruise services offered in FLL. We have read some bad reviews about a couple of places a while back, so does anyone have any recommendations on where to park if we are driving in the day of the cruise?

Tip #1 - DO NOT ARRIVE BEFORE NOON! There are tens of thousands of people coming off these ships and leaving the port in the morning and you will be swimming upstream at every turn!

Tip #2 - The port has huge parking garages/lots that all charge $15 per 24 hrs. You MAY save up to $3-5 per day off port property but you will then be dealing with shuttles that are crammed tight! This is extra important when you return from your cruise as you will be standing in lines waiting for pick-up and sometimes the buses are already full. It's obviously up to you but I think the extra money is well worth the convenience of parking inside the port. The main off-port lots are Park-n-Go, Park-n-Fly and Airport Parking, Inc. Just Google 'em.

SO....then if I wait on a cab...how long will it take AND can I 'reserve' a CAB in advance? How? There are so many options and I am so afraid of being late or taken advantage of.....our plane lands at 12:30 and we have to be on board before 3....yikes!!! ANY ONE???Please and thank you!

Meg and Royal are right on the money. Just make sure that the cab meter is ON and that it started UNDER $3. If they say it's a flat rate, firmly state "Turn the meter on or sow me your hack license". They will then turn the meter on.

Hello,

Any recent experiences with this hotel? Is the area suitable for walking? Not planning on renting a car, but I know we'd like to leave the hotel for a while, provided that we arrive in the afternoon. It looks nice enough, but most hotels look pretty fine on-line! We don't require (or wish to pay for) a luxury hotel but we definitely want very clean and comfortable digs, even if for a single night.

The first cruise I took with DH many years ago started on a very sour note as we stayed in a total dive in Miami Beach. We left the room before sunrise and drove until we found an open mall. Despite there being no stores or even a coffee shop open, we felt cleaner and safer in that mall. I want this vacation getting off to a happy start!

I can't vouch for that hotel but I've never heard complaints about it. Go to Tripadvisor.com or Hotels.com and check there for reviews. Walking from there is just fine but take the usual common sense precautions AND walk EASTBOUND from there. Between the hotel and the causeway bridge there are a multitude of bars, restaurants and coffee shops/diners. Take a walk to the top of the bridge, it has a fantastic view.

I can't vouch for that hotel but I've never heard complaints about it. Go to Tripadvisor.com or Hotels.com and check there for reviews. Walking from there is just fine but take the usual common sense precautions AND walk EASTBOUND from there. Between the hotel and the causeway bridge there are a multitude of bars, restaurants and coffee shops/diners. Take a walk to the top of the bridge, it has a fantastic view.

Thank you for all of your tips. We do not have a hotel booked yet since we are so far out from the cruise :(, but I am interested in the view from the bridge. If we are not staying near the bridge is public transportation or a cab a good way to get there? Do they drop you off at the base of the bridge and you walk to the viewing platform? Thank you.

"

The most convenient place to see the Oasis (or any ship) sail away is the top of the 17th St bridge which is one block from your hotel. There's a viewing platform that hangs out over the water and you're out of the way of sidewalk traffic. The ship sails from Terminal 18 and then has to swing to face east to exit the channel. At that time you will have a perfect side angle for your picture taking and you'll be far enough from the ship to get it all in one picture.

The general area around is quite safe but if you walk westbound I suggest you do not pass SE 10th Ave as there is nothing touristy over there. If you want to go downtown (200 blk of SW 2nd St-bars and restaurants, docks etc..) it's only about a $8 cab ride. There is a GREAT italian restaurant next to the hotel called Bravo Italiano and their lunch prices are mostly under $10 and the food is very good. Dinners are mostly under $20. It's a must do. For excellent seafood go to Kelly's Landings, one block north of SE 17th St on Cordova. It's the endcap of the shopping center.

For personal items, betteries etc... do NOT go to the Walgreens across from your hotel as it is very expensive. There is a Publix supermarket one block south of 17th St on Cordova as well as more restaurants.

Lastly, if you take a cab anywhere make sure the driver turns the meter ON and it reads under $3 at start-up. If they say there is a flat rate then firmly state "Flat rates are not allowed, now turn the meter on or show me your Hack License!" He'll then turn the meter on. NOTE: When being picked up INSIDE Port Everglades there is a $10 minimum as required by law. They are supposed to still turn the meter on but if it reads under $10 at the destination they are allowed to still charge you $10. There's a sticker on the rear cab windows that explain this."

Thanks so much for the information. I appreciate it.

I am a big seafood lover and the DH is all about steaks, does the seafood place you mentioned do surf and turf?

Also...is there a beach area nearby? The DH and I love to walk and before our last cruise put in a good 5 mile one way hike just to go to the Cocoa Beach pier for dinner...was good to 'walk it off' afterwards...but the walk was along the beach, so it was that much better!

Edited by Sunebeach

Hi Royal:

Is that the Sleep Inn on SE 5th Ave? We are staying there pre-cruise in a couple of weeks. Any suggestions on a close (walkable) restaurant?

Not Royal but have stayed here many times. Across the street there is a Mexican, Italian restaurant and Chinese take-out.

Edited by Bison

Was looking for it all!..... Looking for a Hotel that offers airport shuttle, cruise port shuttle, close to resturants, and near the water taxi. Is their such such a Hotel? Oh, also near a liquior store for some wine to take aboard. Thanks in advance.

Beachmiker

Thank you for all of your tips. We do not have a hotel booked yet since we are so far out from the cruise :(, but I am interested in the view from the bridge. If we are not staying near the bridge is public transportation or a cab a good way to get there? Do they drop you off at the base of the bridge and you walk to the viewing platform? Thank you.

We booked our hotel for our October cruise back in January, glad we did now. The price has tripled! We got it for 119/night and today I checked one of the travel.com sites and they have it listed for 397/night for the same King bed room we booked for 119. So it's never too early to grab a good rate, this was for a 4.5 star hotel. :eek:

Hi Royal:

Is that the Sleep Inn on SE 5th Ave? We are staying there pre-cruise in a couple of weeks. Any suggestions on a close (walkable) restaurant?

Yes that's the one. There aren't any really nice restaurants in the area but Pancho's Backyard next door has good Mexican food. http://www.panchosbackyard.net/

Sorry if someone has already answered this elsewhere in this thread...as it's well over 110 pages I didn't read ALL of it.[since I'm sitting here at work right now...]..:D.

We will be staying at the 17th st Renaissance Marriott in October before our Allure cruise...just looking for any information about the surrounding area as we'll be there two days before the cruise and one after. Where's the best place to go to see the Oasis setsail? Any info is welcome...:)

You can watch the Oasis set sail from the bridge on 17th St. The Water Taxi is 1-2 blocks away. Bimini Boatyard and Bravo are popular restaurants. You can get to the beach by bus 40 or the suntrolley.

"

Thanks so much for the information. I appreciate it.

I am a big seafood lover and the DH is all about steaks, does the seafood place you mentioned do surf and turf?

Also...is there a beach area nearby? The DH and I love to walk and before our last cruise put in a good 5 mile one way hike just to go to the Cocoa Beach pier for dinner...was good to 'walk it off' afterwards...but the walk was along the beach, so it was that much better!

Kelly's serves A LOT of lobster. I'm not sure if they have surf & turf or even if that is the best place to get steak though. It is a New England casual sports bar & grill. Bimini Boatyard (next door to Ren, and 15th St. Fisheries (about 1.5 miles away) also have seafood.

The public access beach is about 2-3 miles away.

Was looking for it all!..... Looking for a Hotel that offers airport shuttle, cruise port shuttle, close to resturants, and near the water taxi. Is their such such a Hotel? Oh, also near a liquior store for some wine to take aboard. Thanks in advance.

Beachmiker

Hyatt Place north has free airport shuttle, fee-based cruise shuttle (take a taxi for $10), close to restaurants, close to Total Wine, about 8-10 blocks from water taxi. Renaissance is close to restaurants, 1-2 blocks from water taxi, Walgreens across the street sells wine (Total Wine is a few blocks away too. I think they offer shuttles for a fee.

the hotel is fine.....not my favorite place in the area, but certainly not awful...PLENTY of stuff around....shops, eats, the water taxi isn't far

I got breakfast at Einstein's across the parking lots (it's adjacent to the starbucks along 17th....it's in a pinkish building i think..) next to einstein bagels is Giorgios which is very casual italian..seemed like lots of locals went there..

I liked the Bimini Boatyard...didn't try bravo, and not a fan of 15th street fisheries...( i had lousy service and a lousy meal which was replaced by a hockey-puckish burger..)

the hotel has a nice pool area..you can see the pier from SOME rooms on one side, AND from the stairwells at the end of the building (they open to the outside and you can see...PLUS you can get back in...)

We are staying at the Sheraton on Sea Breeze lane, any tips? We won't have a car and would like to grab some dinner and wine/ beer / snacks, anything we can walk to? We are young and healthy so we can walk easily.

Thanks

Some popular restaurants are the Mexican restaurant at your hotel and Bahia Cabana across the street. keep walking north on A1A and you'll come across many restaurants. If you buy beer/wine/snacks, you will have to walk quite far with it. Some options are 7-11 on A1A south(6 blocks), Plaza Liquor on Las Olas Blvd a block east of the bridge(7 blocks), or CVS at Beach Place (1.2 miles). I'm guessing the mileage but it is pretty close to this.