Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

I'm sorry, I should have said the shuttle QLS is picking us up at POM and dropping us off at FLL around 11:00am. We are hoping they will hold our luggage at bags to go located in FLL. Thank You

Of course, I thought you were coming from Port Everglades in Ft Lauderdale, LOL! So take a $20 taxi to Beach Place from FLL. That is the kind of area that you are looking for to spend the day. I don't know how bagstogo works at the airport so I can't advise you.

Not seeing a lot of love or comments about the Holiday Inn Convention-Cruise Ctr. We are staying here the day before our cruise. I have Priority Club so I used reward points so cost was not an issue. Just curious about the location and if there are things to do in that area as we will arrive in the AM on Saturday March 17th for our Sunday cruise.

The HIE Convention Center is one of the closest hotels to the port. From there, you can walk to the water taxi or take a taxi, suntrolley, or bus ride to the public beach, only about 2 miles away. There are a lot of restaurants around and it is a nice neighborhood.

Looking for hotel suggestions that:

a) have a shuttle from the FLL airport to the hotel

b) have a view of the water/beach/port

c) are a cheap taxi ride from the hotel to the cruise port the next morning (not interested in shuttle from hotel to cruise terminal because we like to be there early and don't want to wait on others to get to shuttle)

thanks for any/all suggestions!

There are no hotels near the beach or intracoastal with shuttles. The Crowne Plaza has free airport shuttle, a view of the port from the pool and some rooms, although it is a distant view, and a cheap taxi to the port in the morning.

Edited by royalcruz

There are no hotels near the beach or intracoastal with shuttles. The Crowne Plaza has free airport shuttle, a view of the port from the pool and some rooms, although it is a distant view, and a cheap taxi to the port in the morning.

Thanks!

afterthought: Is the Crowne Plaza a pickup/dropoff for the water taxi also, or close to a pickup/dropoff?

Hello! We have friends (2 adults, 3 daughters - 15, 15 and 11) flying in on a red-eye Sunday April 1. They are planning on renting a car for a few hours (costs just about the same as the Princess transfers!) to see a little of the city before returning it and getting a shuttle to the port around 2 PM. Any suggestions for breakfast, sightseeing? My worry is that there won't be much open at 6 AM on a Sunday...

The closest hotel is Doubletree (it used to be Crowne Plaza). I don't think they have free breakfast. The next closest are the 2 LaQuintas in Sunrise, a mile or 2 away, and they do have breakfast. They all get good reviews. Other hotels just a few miles away with breakfast included are Hyatt Place, Hampton Inn, and LaQuinta, all in Plantation near Broward Westfield Mall and restaurants.

Thanks very much!

Hi,

I am looking for the best way to get 6 people and luggage from Port Everglades to the airport, post cruise. Apologies in advance for what must be a duplicate question by now, but I just know I am not reading 120 pages of posts...although I have read many!

Does anyone remember what we did for travel info before great boards like this???

I would suggest buying one-way bus tickets from whatever cruise line you are doing.

The Bus will be right outside as you get off the ship and luggage will be placed underneath the bus.

For the 6 people in your group and luggage, this is the only way to go and know you are still together. JMHO....

Oh Dam(rn)M... TWO choices!

LOL...The one-way bus tickets sounded so good, until the cab option was mentioned as being more efficient and cheaper. More research. Actually, let's throw a twist into it.

We are not sure if we will have 5 or 6 passengers. DH may or may not be able to get a vacation switch to allow him to come along. Our party includes 7 and 8 yr old boys, who obviously must accompany a parent, or responsible GM like myself. ;-) as well as have a booster seat to ride in a cab.

I am going to toss this it to our TA to check out the availability and cost of booking a bus through the cruise line.

Meanwhile, back to you, truffles2... what is the average cab fare to the airport? Do you know if it is done by passenger, or trip or some combo of both?

I have Port Canaveral experience, but Port Everglades is a totally new experience for me...the Planner-In-Chief.

We are flying into FLL April 6, 2012 and getting on the ship in Miami 4/7. We have booked the ship transfer to and from the airport. Do you have a suggestion for a hotel (priced between $100 - $150) close to FLL airport that will pick us up from the airport Friday afternoon and then take us back to the airport Saturday morning so we can meet the transfer?

We are flying into FLL April 6, 2012 and getting on the ship in Miami 4/7. We have booked the ship transfer to and from the airport. Do you have a suggestion for a hotel (priced between $100 - $150) close to FLL airport that will pick us up from the airport Friday afternoon and then take us back to the airport Saturday morning so we can meet the transfer?

Look at using http://www.ridesas.com as opposed to the cruiseline transfer. I don't know what the cruiseline is charging, but SAS charges $15/person.

Hello! We have friends (2 adults, 3 daughters - 15, 15 and 11) flying in on a red-eye Sunday April 1. They are planning on renting a car for a few hours (costs just about the same as the Princess transfers!) to see a little of the city before returning it and getting a shuttle to the port around 2 PM. Any suggestions for breakfast, sightseeing? My worry is that there won't be much open at 6 AM on a Sunday...

2 PM is too late to get to the port if they sail at 4 or 5...

you need to be CHECKED IN 90 minutes - 2 hours ahead of sailing....that is too late

ALSO you're paying for the 1st day on the ship...fiddling around and getting to the port that late is a mistake.....

they COULD hit a hotel along the way such as the Renaissance..check bags, go eat in the restaurant (the bellstand in a major hotel should hold stuff for a few hours for a gratuity if people are patrons of the hotel's restaurant..)

they could cab it to the beach and look around then go pick up stuff and go to the pier...(they Hyatt Pier 66 is also an option..) Most hotel restaurants will be serving breakfast by 7 or so...

i'd go to the ship and not waste the money on a rental car....i also wouldn't wait for a shuttle...only 2 shuttle from the airport...and then hertz, avis and budget all have locations in shopping centers or hotels near the pier....

Oh Dam(rn)M... TWO choices!

LOL...The one-way bus tickets sounded so good, until the cab option was mentioned as being more efficient and cheaper. More research. Actually, let's throw a twist into it.

We are not sure if we will have 5 or 6 passengers. DH may or may not be able to get a vacation switch to allow him to come along. Our party includes 7 and 8 yr old boys, who obviously must accompany a parent, or responsible GM like myself. ;-) as well as have a booster seat to ride in a cab.

I am going to toss this it to our TA to check out the availability and cost of booking a bus through the cruise line.

Meanwhile, back to you, truffles2... what is the average cab fare to the airport? Do you know if it is done by passenger, or trip or some combo of both?

I have Port Canaveral experience, but Port Everglades is a totally new experience for me...the Planner-In-Chief.

From FLL to port everglades? 10-15 bucks PER CAB, NOT per person...plus tip..give or take a few bucks...

don't do the shuttle....cabs are faster, cheaper and you won't have to wait for the shuttle to fill up

try the Sheraton, Hilton, Homewood Suites, Hyatt Place South, Hyatt House (formerly summerfield suites), fairfield inn & suites, courtyard cruise port, springhill suites.....

most should have free shuttles...since you are arriving in the afternoon you might want to be closer to food/shops so try the Springhill and the 2 hyatt brands...

OR on 17th street there is the Hyatt Place north (don't think they have a free shuttle...) or the holiday inn express...(on 17th street)

Lester's and the Floridian Las Olas are always open. But you are right...there won't be much open. I would suggest going to the Floridian for a nice long breakfast, then strolling around the area west of there. Next, they can park by the beach and take a nice stroll around the beachfront area. There are some restaurants that serve breakfast at the beach too, but I don't know how early they open, and Las Olas is a nicer area to walk around anyway.

I agree with the above recommendation that they not wait so long to go to the port. I would be leaving for the port no later than 1 PM.

Edited by royalcruz

The Hilton airport hotel has free 24 hr shuttles and is available for your date for under $150. Be sure to specify smoking or non-smoking for this hotel.

Oh Dam(rn)M...

I made notes after our Dec. cruise because I knew I would not remember the details...here they are:

Debark at 8:00 AM

in cab 8:15

at airport 8:22

$12.90 + tip

That is for two. Probably 3 would be the max that cab could take with luggage.

The above fare was for two of us.

I have a hotel question. We are booked for one night pre-cruise at the Westin Beach Resort & Spa, with a car for the day. I found a better price at the Best Western South on Stirling Rd., with car. Which should we choose? Any help would be greatly appreciated.:)

We are pre-cruise for 3 days and I want to shop and sight see and perhaps for all four of us do an air boat ride.

May I please ask what would you suggest doing and we are staying at the Embassy suites on 17th. I know the water taxi will be something we want to do and maybe use for shopping e.i.Department stores (the ladies).

Suggestions more than welcome, please. I know the days will fly by quickly before the "Cruise".

Lester's and the Floridian Las Olas are always open. But you are right...there won't be much open. I would suggest going to the Floridian for a nice long breakfast, then strolling around the area west of there. Next, they can park by the beach and take a nice stroll around the beachfront area. There are some restaurants that serve breakfast at the beach too, but I don't know how early they open, and Las Olas is a nicer area to walk around anyway.

I agree with the above recommendation that they not wait so long to go to the port. I would be leaving for the port no later than 1 PM.

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll pass them along! I'm happy that they're going to do a little exploring while they can. They just didn't want to sit at the airport for 6 hours after a red-eye flight and I honestly don't blame them. ;)

Their cruise docs say to arrive at the port after 2 PM for faster check-in.

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll pass them along! I'm happy that they're going to do a little exploring while they can. They just didn't want to sit at the airport for 6 hours after a red-eye flight and I honestly don't blame them. ;)

Their cruise docs say to arrive at the port after 2 PM for faster check-in.

that is too late.....really. they are PAYING for the 1st day on the ship...they may as well be ON the ship..go to breakfast but don't waste the whole day in town.....

what time do they sail? just because the docs say XXXX time doesn't mean that's when they should show up....no need to sit at the airport, but do not wait til 2 to go to the pier...

We are pre-cruise for 3 days and I want to shop and sight see and perhaps for all four of us do an air boat ride.

May I please ask what would you suggest doing and we are staying at the Embassy suites on 17th. I know the water taxi will be something we want to do and maybe use for shopping e.i.Department stores (the ladies).

Suggestions more than welcome, please. I know the days will fly by quickly before the "Cruise".

http://www.suntrolley.com

http://www.watertaxi.com

the Galleria mall is really nice...i THINK you can get there on the sun trolley....if not one of the public buses ends there (41?? can't recall...royal cruz will know!;)

http://www.theharbourshops.com are right behind the hotel...there is a ross (i think) basically across the street....(across 17th)