Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Hi,

My family and I are coming into FLL in August for 1 night pre-cruise. We are 4 adults and 1 12-year old and would like to use one room not two. I can get a suite for $144 at the HI Express & Suites (W State rd 84), or a suite for $185 at Embassy stes on 17th street. We will not have a car and will need to do dinner only on arrival night and breakfast on departure morning. Also need transport to port for 5 people and luggage. Recommendations/suggestions? All help appreciated.

Kathy

Greylady

Working on RCCL Diamond Plus!

Both hotels offer complimentary breakfast. HI offers complimentary airport shuttle. They also have a cruise shuttle but there may be a charge. Taxis from either hotel to port will be $10-15 per taxi, so there is no need to make private transport arrangement. ES is slightly closer but they are both very close. ES will put you in close proximity to many restaurants, while HI is a few blocks away from only a couple of sit down restaurants and a few fast food and take out places. The area around ES is nicer. You could save some money staying at HI but ES is much better for the $41 price difference. If you book now and keep checking pricing online you might even be able to get a better price at ES. If you don't have an hhonors (free) account, set one up now so you can get points and maybe even a better rate at ES (I always check both hilton.com and hiltonfamilymvp.com when I check Hilton chain rates).

We are staying at the Embassy Suites on 17th for before our cruise & are looking at doing a tour on the CarrieB.What is the best way to get to the boat. Can we take the water taxi or sun trolley or is cab our best choice?

You will be there in 5-10 minutes by taxi, $10-15 each way. It will take you forever any other way. You would have to get to the water taxi and then wait for it or you would have to take the suntrolley to Las Olas and then transfer to another one. With that said, you could just skip the Carrie B and take the water taxi for it's entire loop. It takes a few hours and there is a guide on microphone on each boat.

dw chose the Cambria Suites in Dania. Within walking distance, is there a Walgreens or the like nearby for soda? How about someplace for dinner the evening prior? If we wanted seafood what we be a nearby choice (guessing this may require taxi)?? TIA:)

The closest store is KMart. It is walkable but be careful crossing Stirling Rd and going under I95. There is also a CVS just under a mile west on Stirling Rd. The closest seafood restaurants are Islamorada and Rustic Inn (a very short taxi ride to either). The shuttle should be able to take you there if they aren't too busy.

Edited by royalcruz

Thank you for all the time you have taken to help us cruisers navagate FLL. I am thinking of booking Sleep Inn Dania Beach. Is this a nice hotel, safe area? Looks like free airport and port shuttle which is great. Also is there a publix, walgreens or something similar nearby?

Thanks

Kim

[quote name='MikeNKim']Thank you for all the time you have taken to help us cruisers navagate FLL. I am thinking of booking Sleep Inn Dania Beach. Is this a nice hotel, safe area? Looks like free airport and port shuttle which is great. Also is there a publix, walgreens or something similar nearby?

Thanks

Kim[/quote]
It has everything that you are asking about.

[quote name='thefortunes']We will be flying into FLL the morning of our cruise and will need to pick up a couple bottles of wine (nothing special) and a case of water to take onboard.

We plan to take a taxi to the port.

Is there a place to stop on the way?[/quote]
There is nothing exactly on the way but the closest places to stop are on 17th St: CVS, Publix, Total Wine, Walgreens. CVS is probably the smallest and least crowded, so less time on the taxi meter. They have a small wine aisle, so if you just drink basic American or Australian wines you will find something.

[quote name='royalcruz']The closest store is KMart. It is walkable but be careful crossing Stirling Rd and going under I95. There is also a CVS just under a mile west on Stirling Rd. The closest seafood restaurants are Islamorada and Rustic Inn (a very short taxi ride to either). The shuttle should be able to take you there if they aren't too busy.[/quote]

Thank You!!

[quote name='royalcruz']There is nothing exactly on the way but the closest places to stop are on 17th St: CVS, Publix, Total Wine, Walgreens. CVS is probably the smallest and least crowded, so less time on the taxi meter. They have a small wine aisle, so if you just drink basic American or Australian wines you will find something.[/quote]

Thanks.

[quote name='RnBluvher']My family and I are coming in a day early for a cruise and are staying at the Days Inn Hollywood airport south. Just wanted to know if we were close to a beach, restaurants etc...??[/quote]
You will be about 2.5 miles from the beach. The only restaurant near the hotel is Denny's. Less than a mile away, there are some chain restaurants at Oakwood Plaza (Red Lobster, Ale HOuse, Sal's Italian, Sweet Tomatoes, etc).

[quote name='royalcruz']You will be about 2.5 miles from the beach. The only restaurant near the hotel is Denny's. Less than a mile away, there are some chain restaurants at Oakwood Plaza (Red Lobster, Ale HOuse, Sal's Italian, Sweet Tomatoes, etc).[/quote]

Thank you for taking the time to answer. Just one more question (hopefully) Is Oakwood plaza within walking distance, or should we take a taxi, and how are the rates for both the beach and the plaza?

[quote name='RnBluvher']Thank you for taking the time to answer. Just one more question (hopefully) Is Oakwood plaza within walking distance, or should we take a taxi, and how are the rates for both the beach and the plaza?[/quote]
Oakwood is within walking distance but it is a mile each way to some of the restaurants in there and you have to walk under I95. Maybe you could catch a ride one way from the shuttle driver. There is also a sub shop by the hotel. None of the Oakwood Restaurants are that great. Personally, I would just eat at Denny's. To the beach would be about $10 each way. To Oakwood, about $5 each way.

My husband and I only bring a backpack on our cruises, so we travel light. We are staying on Hollywood beach the night before our cruise and can get there pretty easily on the public bus system. We will take the bus back to the airport and either try to take another bus or get a cab.

My question is, I believe it is route 40 from the airport that will take you to Port Everglades.

Can anyone give me an idea how close we can get to the entrance to the port?

Thanks for the help!

We may find ourselves flying into FLL for our upcoming April cruise out of Miami. I don't suppose there are shuttles from FLL airport to Miami hotels? We had been planning on driving, and then staying at a hotel near Miami that offered cruise parking as part of the room cost package. Now I'm not sure - so if we do fly into FLL, any suggestions? Thanks!

[quote name='cah14522']We may find ourselves flying into FLL for our upcoming April cruise out of Miami. I don't suppose there are shuttles from FLL airport to Miami hotels? We had been planning on driving, and then staying at a hotel near Miami that offered cruise parking as part of the room cost package. Now I'm not sure - so if we do fly into FLL, any suggestions? Thanks![/quote]

Check out [url]www.floridalimo.com[/url] and [url]www.ridesas.com[/url]

[quote name='Magpiequilter']My husband and I only bring a backpack on our cruises, so we travel light. We are staying on Hollywood beach the night before our cruise and can get there pretty easily on the public bus system. We will take the bus back to the airport and either try to take another bus or get a cab.

My question is, I believe it is route 40 from the airport that will take you to Port Everglades.

Can anyone give me an idea how close we can get to the entrance to the port?

Thanks for the help![/quote]

The 40 bus does not go to the airport. Only the 1 bus does. You can get off the 1 bus at SE 17th St and take the 40 bus east to Eisenhower Blvd, 2 blocks from the port entrance. That is as close as you are going to get. Your terminal will either be between a few blocks and 1.5 miles from the bus stop.