Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

[quote name='buellblaster']We will be disembarking in Miami and flying our Ft. Lauderdale but not until 4pm. Can you suggest something to do for 4 people? We will have luggage.[/quote]

With luggage and 4 people I would suggest either an excursion or renting a minivan or SUV. You could spend the day at the beach, Galleria Mall, Boomer's (for kids) or Las Olas Blvd. I wouldn't venture too far, since you will want to return the car by 2.

[quote name='redlobster']We are coming in to FLL on Friday morning at 6am for a cruise on Sunday.

We need transportation from FLL to Westin Beach Resort for a group of ten of us.

Any recommendations?

You are always helpful.

Thanks[/quote]
You could see if you could get some taxi vans from the taxi line manager (not always available) or see if SAS is available that day to pre-reserve.

[quote name='royalcruz']With luggage and 4 people I would suggest either an excursion or renting a minivan or SUV. You could spend the day at the beach, Galleria Mall, Boomer's (for kids) or Las Olas Blvd. I wouldn't venture too far, since you will want to return the car by 2.[/QUOTE]
Thanks

[quote name='buellblaster']We will be disembarking in Miami and flying our Ft. Lauderdale but not until 4pm. Can you suggest something to do for 4 people? We will have luggage.[/quote]

Last time we booked an air boat tour from Celebrity before we left home. The bus picked us up and our luggage from the port. They kept our luggage on the bus while we did the air boat tour and then picked us up and took us to the airport. It was an enjoyable time.

[quote name='wisteria1019']RoyalCruz,
There are several (about 20ish) of us staying at Hyatt Regency Pier 66 on April 15th prior to our sailing. We want to have a precruise cocktail around 8 pm - can you suggest a lounge within the hotel for that type of casual meeting? Thanks.

Dawn[/quote]

Pelican Landing on the marina if it is a nice night, or The Lounge in the lobby would be good. Pelican Landing might be crowded with dinner patrons at that time and the bar isn't that big, so you might meet at the lobby bar first and see how it is there. It takes a few minutes to walk over to Pelican.

We are cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale in May of this year. I'm glad I found this message board. I've gone through a lot of pages. I wasn't paying attention to the dates. So now I've started from the back forward, but you might be able to save me some time reading.

We are driving to Florida from Virginia. We are arriving the day before our cruise. Do any hotels allow you to leave your car there till the end of the cruise? Are any of the hotels oceanfront?

If not is there parking available at the cruise port and how much is it if it's available. Sorry for all the questions. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Debbie Edited by deb&bobinVA

[quote name='royalcruz']Pelican Landing on the marina if it is a nice night, or The Lounge in the lobby would be good. Pelican Landing might be crowded with dinner patrons at that time and the bar isn't that big, so you might meet at the lobby bar first and see how it is there. It takes a few minutes to walk over to Pelican.[/quote]

As always, thank you.

Dawn

[quote name='deb&bobinVA']We are cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale in May of this year. I'm glad I found this message board. I've gone through a lot of pages. I wasn't paying attention to the dates. So now I've started from the back forward, but you might be able to save me some time reading.

We are driving to Florida from Virginia. We are arriving the day before our cruise. Do any hotels allow you to leave your car there till the end of the cruise? Are any of the hotels oceanfront?

If not is there parking available at the cruise port and how much is it if it's available. Sorry for all the questions. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Debbie[/quote]
The oceanfront hotels charge for parking by the day and you can only park there while you are staying there. The airport area hotels have big parking lots and many of them allow free parking during the cruise. Just do a little research on this board and you will find them, but always call the hotel directly for their current policy. Parking at the port is $15/night. There are also some nearby lots that charge less and shuttle you to the pier (Park N Fly for example). However, the best deal is the hotels that allow you to park there and they even shuttle you to the cruise for free. See if the Hampton Inn airport area hotels still offer this.

[quote name='BR47']We are coming into Ft Lauderdale a couple of days before our cruise. Where is a good place to go to watch the ships leave port?

Thanks.[/quote]

The best place is from the south tip of Fort Lauderdale beach but I'm not sure if there is any public parking or public access. You can go out to the beach from the Lago Mar hotel. There is also public beach access next to the Sheraton.

[quote name='royalcruz']The 40 bus does not go to the airport. Only the 1 bus does. You can get off the 1 bus at SE 17th St and take the 40 bus east to Eisenhower Blvd, 2 blocks from the port entrance. That is as close as you are going to get. Your terminal will either be between a few blocks and 1.5 miles from the bus stop.[/quote]

When we get off the 1 bus on 17th, is there a place we can buy sodas, beer, etc. nearby?

Thanks for all the great help!

[quote name='Magpiequilter']When we get off the 1 bus on 17th, is there a place we can buy sodas, beer, etc. nearby?

Thanks for all the great help![/quote]

Yes, there is a nice CVS right on the corner of SE 17th St and US1(same as S. Federal Hwy)! If it is Sunday, you won't be able to buy any alcohol products until noon. There is a Denny's on the opposite corner if you are hungry.

[quote name='tomvk']I can get a good deal on flights into West Palm Beach.Any information transportation To and from the port in Fort Lauderdale.Thanks Tom[/quote]

I'm not sure which companies run shuttles from there. Taxi will be pricey, about $120 plus tip. Some people actually rent a car for the one hour ride. You could call the cruise line or TA and ask about transfers.

Glad I found this thread! Got a few questions ...

I'm staying 1 night pre cruise and 3 nights post cruise for my upcoming Allure cruise. The Embassy seems to be a popular spot, so we will probably be booking there.

Now, post cruise, I'm currently booked at Beachcombers Resort and Villas in Pompano Beach.

1) How far is it to the pier? to the airport? From what I saw, they don't offer a free shuttle service, but I wouldn't mind paying a shuttle to get to the airport.

2) Any positives/negatives about the hotel I should be aware of? The 3 nights post cruise stay will actually just be me; my friend has to return home on the same day.

[quote name='Virtopia']Glad I found this thread! Got a few questions ...

I'm staying 1 night pre cruise and 3 nights post cruise for my upcoming Allure cruise. The Embassy seems to be a popular spot, so we will probably be booking there.

Now, post cruise, I'm currently booked at Beachcombers Resort and Villas in Pompano Beach.

1) How far is it to the pier? to the airport? From what I saw, they don't offer a free shuttle service, but I wouldn't mind paying a shuttle to get to the airport.

2) Any positives/negatives about the hotel I should be aware of? The 3 nights post cruise stay will actually just be me; my friend has to return home on the same day.[/quote]

I can't give you any info on the Beachcombers Resort but it is about 10 miles from the port and 13 miles from the airport. I have a condo further north on the beach and I'm guessing cab fare from the Beachcombers would be in the $50 range to the airport.

[quote name='Virtopia']Glad I found this thread! Got a few questions ...

2) Any positives/negatives about the hotel I should be aware of? The 3 nights post cruise stay will actually just be me; my friend has to return home on the same day.[/quote]

Good: Beachcomber is right on the beach and has a bar and restaurant.
Not so good: There isn't much else within a mile of the place.
If you just want to relax on the beach for a few days it will be fine.

Thanks royalcruz I'm waiting to hear back from a shuttle service listed on the West Palm airport website but it might be easier to use the FL airport alot of the hotels there offer free shuttle service to and from the port and airport. Tom

Thanks for the help!

This post cruise trip is already adding up; that $50 cab ride is not appealing to me at all. Good thing it's a refundable booking.

Funny thing is, it's cheaper to go on a 4 night Bahamas Cruise on the Majesty from Oct 1st - 5th alone than to stay in that hotel for 3 days ... I guess I have to work on getting Oct 4th and 5th off! LOL

Thanks for the help!

This post cruise trip is already adding up; that $50 cab ride is not appealing to me at all. Good thing it's a refundable booking.

Funny thing is, it's cheaper to go on a 4 night Bahamas Cruise on the Majesty from Oct 1st - 5th alone than to stay in that hotel for 3 days ... I guess I have to work on getting Oct 4th and 5th off! LOL

Virtopia, I know what you mean...it seems it is much cheaper to cruise than to stay in a hotel sometimes. Have you looked at the Alhambra? It's close to the port, a half block from the beach, well priced, and gets very good reviews. It's also in a fun neighborhood, but enough off the beaten track to not be noisy. Casablanca Cafe is a few steps away and has a fun little piano bar. Maybe their $89 or $99 rooms will be available. http://www.alhambrabeachresort.com/

Hello,

Long story but I had to cancel my Jan cruise due to some last min health issues but was able to rebook 3/10/12 sailing on the Carnival Freedom. I scored such a deal on hot wire dot com for Jan & my family enjoyed their $39.00 stay at the Westin Beach Resort & Spa. Now I have been searching for a deal for 2 nights pre cruise & 1 night post cruise. I have the Bahia Mar booked for my pre cruise stay.. $185 per night.... my post cruise stay was also booked there at $141.00. However, I finally found a deal on hot wire tonight for the post cruise stay on March 18th. I got the Hyatt Place 17th Street location for $58.00 +12. in tax... $70.00 for the night. I think this will be a fine location for one night post cruise, includes free airport shuttle & breakfast. Plus the sun trolley stop in at the Publix across the street...

Any comments? Mixed reviews on Trip advisor but the latest 3 have been decent reveiws...

Sue

Edited by cruisegirl29
add additional text

Hello,

Long story but I had to cancel my Jan cruise due to some last min health issues but was able to rebook 3/10/12 sailing on the Carnival Freedom. I scored such a deal on hot wire dot com for Jan & my family enjoyed their $39.00 stay at the Westin Beach Resort & Spa. Now I have been searching for a deal for 2 nights pre cruise & 1 night post cruise. I have the Bahia Mar booked for my pre cruise stay.. $185 per night.... my post cruise stay was also booked there at $141.00. However, I finally found a deal on hot wire tonight for the post cruise stay on March 18th. I got the Hyatt Place 17th Street location for $58.00 +12. in tax... $70.00 for the night. I think this will be a fine location for one night post cruise, includes free airport shuttle & breakfast. Plus the sun trolley stop in at the Publix across the street...

Any comments? Mixed reviews on Trip advisor but the latest 3 have been decent reveiws...

Sue

Sue, You did great (again)! Hyatt Place is not perfect, but for one night it should be a very good stay. Some of the people who write experience reviews online are very picky. If the weather isn't great, you can actually take the trolley all the way from Harbor Shops to Galleria Mall.

Regarding the Bahia Mar, check prices daily, as I often see daily price changes on Doubletree. I use my hhonors number to look at Doubletree rates on hiltonfamilymvp.com. I just checked your dates and found a king partial oceanview room for $167/night.

Edited by royalcruz

I have booked at the Sheraton Suites Plantation through Hotwire for better price for March break cruise. My questions are: Do we need a car? Is there any car rental company that will provide free shuttle to the port after we drop-off the car? How much would taxi cost from Airport to Hotel & Hotel to port if we don't rent a car? Any thing we can do in the short period in FLL. We're a family of 3 (including a teenage boy), will arrive in FLL around 6PM on Sat. March 10. Thanks in advance for all your info.

Lynn